• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Links to reviews, measurements, explanatory articles, listening tests and other resources.
Speakers
Headphones
Electronics
Compilations
  • Meta-Database: Collection of measurement databases, publications, tools, software and other resources.
  • Lecture Library: Lectures, seminars and talks on music and audio.
  • Interview Library: Industry interviews, both video and text.
ASR Explanatory Articles & Primers
Understanding Measurements
Tests & Studies
Digital Audio & Signal Processing
External Explanatory Articles & Primers
Understanding Measurements: Specs
Understanding Measurements: Acoustics & Psychoacoustics
Understanding Measurements: Headphones
Understanding Measurements: Speakers
Understanding Measurements: Subwoofers & Bass
Understanding Measurements: Microphones
Practicalities: Measurement, Setup & Correction
Practicalities: Subwoofer Integration
Analog Audio: Speakers
Analog Audio: Amplifiers
Analog Audio: Cables
Analog Audio: Turntables
Analog Audio: General
Digital Audio & Signal Processing
Audio Industry
Article Collections
Visualizations
Books

Large Room Acoustics, Commercial Installations & Studios
  • (2017) Trevor Cox & Peter D'Antonio. 3rd ed. Acoustic Absorbers and Diffusers: Theory, Design & Application. Published by Routledge.
  • (2016) Bob McCarthy. Sound Systems: Design & Optimization. 3rd ed. Published by Focal Press.
  • (2015) F. Alton Everest & Ken Pohlmann. Master Handbook of Acoustics. 6th ed. Published by McGraw-Hill.
  • (2013) Philip Giddings. Audio Systems Design & Installation. 2nd ed. Published by Post Toronto Books.
  • (2010) Architectural Acoustics: Principles & Practice. 2nd ed. Edited by William Cavanaugh, Gregory Tocci & Joseph Wilkes. Published by John Wiley & Sons.
Small Room Acoustics, Home Listening Rooms & Studios
  • (2019) Vincent Verdult. Optimal Audio & Video Reproduction at Home. Published by Routledge.
  • (2018) Floyd Toole. Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics & Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers & Rooms. 3rd ed. Published by Routledge.
  • (2017) Mark Waldrep. Music & Audio: A User Guide to Better Sound. Published by AIX.
  • (2003) Earl Geddes & Lidia Lee. Premium Home Theater: Design & Construction. Published by GedLee.
Psychoacoustics
  • (2018) Floyd Toole. Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics & Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers & Rooms. 3rd ed. Published by Routledge.
  • (2013) Brian Moore. An Introduction to the Psychology of Hearing. 6th ed. Published by Brill.
  • (2008) Juan Roederer. The Physics & Psychophysics of Music. 4th ed. Published by Springer.
  • (1996) Jens Blauert. Spatial Hearing: The Psychophysics of Human Sound Localization. Revised edition. Published by Routledge.
  • (1994) Albert Bregman. Auditory Scene Analysis: The Perceptual Organization of Sound. Published by MIT Press.
Digital Audio
  • (2017) Mark Waldrep. Music & Audio: A User Guide to Better Sound. Published by AIX.
  • (2011) Ken Pohlmann. Principles of Digital Audio. 6th ed. Published by McGraw-Hill.
Transducers
  • (2019) Bjørn Kolbrek & Thomas Dunker. High-Quality Horn Loudspeaker Systems: History, Theory & Design. Published by Kolbrek Elektroakustikk.
  • (2012) Ray Bradburn. Eargle's Microphone Book. 3rd ed. Published by Elsevier.
History
  • (2019) Bjørn Kolbrek & Thomas Dunker. High-Quality Horn Loudspeaker Systems: History, Theory & Design. Published by Kolbrek Elektroakustikk.
  • (2008) Peter Copeland. Manual of Analogue Sound Restoration Techniques. Published by British Library.
  • (1999) Robert Beyer. Sounds of Our Times: Two Hundred Years of Acoustics. Published by Springer-Verlag.
  • (1992) Frederick Vinton Hunt. Origins in Acoustics: The Science of Sound from Antiquity to the Age of Newton. 2nd ed. Published by Acoustical Society of America.
  • (1954) Frederick Vinton Hunt. Electroacoustics: The Analysis of Transduction and its Historical Background. Published by Harvard University Press.
  • (1935) Dayton Clarence Miller. Anecdotal History of the Science of Sound. Published by MacMillan Company.
Music
  • (1966; 2017) Pierre Schaffer. Treatise on Musical Objects. Translated by Christine North & John Dack. Published by University of California Press.
Listening Tests
External

Last edited:
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
That's a lot of work, hats off ....
Thanks. I wanted to represent all the work our community has done. I'm pretty sure I've included all the formal reviews.

@Rja4000 you started a thread recently about the front page. Since these tables contain everything and are linked from the main forum page and main reviews page, as well as elsewhere, does this suffice?

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thx for the compilation!

But it is hard to pick thru and find things - is there a searchable compilation anywhere?

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Thx for the compilation!

But it is hard to pick thru and find things - is there a searchable compilation anywhere?
Which findings do you mean?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to find out if say the DAC in an Imac (or any mac) was tested and what was found.

The 'advanced search" is not very advanced or I'd use that.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I'd like to find out if say the DAC in an Imac (or any mac) was tested and what was found.

The 'advanced search" is not very advanced or I'd use that.
What about the Audio Electronics Review & Measurement Index linked in the first post?

There's no universal search as yet, but you can type in entries into each filter. For example, under "Brand" you can type "Apple" and see what pops up.

If it's not clear, you need to press the funnel icons under "Posted By" and "Review Type" to see everything (they appear when you hover your mouse near the filter).
1585618048068.png

Unfortunately that iMac measurement is just of the USB port noise level.

Edit: The search function has been added.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That didn't work for me. "All" was checked and I couldn't get it unchecked. When I checked "Apple" it just added that to "all"

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
That didn't work for me. "All" was checked and I couldn't get it unchecked. When I checked "Apple" it just added that to "all"
Did you:
  1. Click the (All) check mark
  2. Type Apple
  3. Click Apple check mark
  4. And Click Apply?

1585655449758.png

1585655770894.png

1585655533701.png

1585655691453.png

I didn't realize this was so non-intuitive

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please check why the Zaph ZA5.2 does not show up in the index. :)

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited:
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It does, as DIY (Zaph Audio)

View attachment 56522
View attachment 56523
I'm open to other sorting options if you have ideas.

Thanks!

Strange I missed but was looking at the Zs. Suggest dropping the DIY part on the brand.

There are number of brands that we may test that span DIY and COTS (like Selah Audio). See the DIY aspect already shows in Review Type anyway. :cool:

Last edited:

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm open to other sorting options if you have ideas.
This works fine, IMO. It finds "zaph" even though that's not at the beginning of the entry.

I agree that the filtering is intuitive enough to use, but it is inefficient. When you open a field, the cursor's blinking away for you to start typing. But immediately typing breaks it. First, you need 2 extra clicks so that your typing can work properly. How about automatically clearing (all) IFF the user begins typing before making any other changes?

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I agree that the filtering is intuitive enough to use, but it is inefficient. When you open a field, the cursor's blinking away for you to start typing. But immediately typing breaks it. First, you need 2 extra clicks so that your typing can work properly. How about automatically clearing (all) IFF the user begins typing before making any other changes?
I'm not sure if Tableau can accomodate that. It's not 100% customizable. I'll look into it.

N

nhatlam96

It took me 1 year to randomly stumble upon this collection. This thread deserves more attention, so there will be less repetitive questions.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if possible, it would be great to be either see or be able to drill down to the next layer in each category.
For example, if i want to see just subwoofer reviews, i have no way of being able to look at just the sub reviews. I have to sort through all the speaker reviews and know which ones are subs.

Top Bottom