• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RHO

Major Contributor
Work is being done to implement that feature.
I do appreciate all the efforts.
I know it's done on voluntary basis, so I'll be patient.

AbstractGeo

That's the old index. That worked much better than the new one.

Ah! The new one being this? If so, yes - I do agree it's hard to track down! Given there's a "rainbow chart" of e.g. SINAD for various electronics, I'd hoped to find a "master / latest" list - one I wouldn't need to read sideways and track down via "most recent threads started by Amirm, but from what I can tell, this is a "known issue?"

(Believe me, this is not a complaint nor lack of gratitude! I realize managing this amount of information - plus doing testing, plus handling forums - is not simple; I'd probabably be building a custom web application for it - and then end up spending all my time working on that and not doing testing! Let alone not listening to music or watching movies!)

1654635713524.png

1654635739427.png

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are all reviews in? I could have sworn there was a review for Sennheiser HD6XXX but I don’t see it.

RHO

Major Contributor
Are all reviews in? I could have sworn there was a review for Sennheiser HD6XXX but I don’t see it.
Try "HD6XX". The extra X doesn't help.;)

Edit: You're right. Also no results for "HD6XX". Search for just "HD" and check out the HD650 instead. Should be the same as the HD6XX.

chuckt62

Editor
I'm sorry to say but I have not managed to apply a useful filter for the products I'm searching for yet.
With the previous database this was much easier.

For instance looking for an amplifier. You would think easy. Search for "amplifier". Nope. Doesn't return the reviews marked as "amp". Then search for "amp" ("amplifier" contains "amp"). This returns all "phono amplifier", "headphone amplifier", "integrated amplifier", "speaker amplifier", ... Searching for "speaker amp" doesn't help either because you get car speaker amps also. Searching for "speaker amp" and adding a brand "topping" only returns the LA90. Where's the other Topping amps at?
It's also not possible to add multiple brands to the search or just multiple parameters in one search box. Using a "-" for does not contain also doesn't work.
I can give plenty more examples for other searches I did. Not once did I get a satisfactory result.
Maybe I'm just using it wrong?

Having a great database is wonderful. But not being able to search it makes it a bit useless in my opinion.
I know it's a WIP. So I hope these issues get solved.
I just used the advanced search option for "amplifier" and it returned 113 amplifiers, all of them were either "Amplifier" or "Speaker Amplifier"

RHO

Major Contributor
I just used the advanced search option for "amplifier" and it returned 113 amplifiers, all of them were either "Amplifier" or "Speaker Amplifier"
Yes, correct. It's when searching for "amp" that all the other types turn up. When searching for "amplifier" you are missing al that are logged as "amp". There's no way to get the complete list of "amp" + "speaker amp" + "amplifier" + "speaker amplifier" when looking for an amplifier to power your hifi speakers and not your car speakers or headphones.

chuckt62

Editor
Yes, correct. It's when searching for "amp" that all the other types turn up. When searching for "amplifier" you are missing al that are logged as "amp". There's no way to get the complete list of "amp" + "speaker amp" + "amplifier" + "speaker amplifier" when looking for an amplifier to power your hifi speakers and not your car speakers or headphones.

I don't see anything logged as "Amp". The only ones with "Amp" in the device type are the ones you don't want to see, except maybe "Integrated Amp".

If there are any from the old DB that are missing now, please let us know and maybe we can sort it out.

RHO

Major Contributor
I don't see anything logged as "Amp". The only ones with "Amp" in the device type are the ones you don't want to see, except maybe "Integrated Amp".

If there are any from the old DB that are missing now, please let us know and maybe we can sort it out.
Yes, integrated amp and I think if you're looking for headphone amps there are some logged as "amp" also.

The point is that it's difficult to get a complete and trimmed, but complete, list of things you want to find if you can only enter 1 search term and there's no way to exclude certain terms etc.
The search functionality is still incomplete.
Like searching for headphones with an open back:
1654693638379.png

I'm quite sure there's more open backs tested than just the LCD-X.

But as I said. I do appreciate that you're working on it and I'm confident it will get much better in the future. :)

chuckt62

Editor
Yes, integrated amp and I think if you're looking for headphone amps there are some logged as "amp" also.

The point is that it's difficult to get a complete and trimmed, but complete, list of things you want to find if you can only enter 1 search term and there's no way to exclude certain terms etc.
The search functionality is still incomplete.
Like searching for headphones with an open back:
View attachment 211619
I'm quite sure there's more open backs tested than just the LCD-X.

But as I said. I do appreciate that you're working on it and I'm confident it will get much better in the future. :)
My point is that there are NO items logged as "Amp".
Regarding the headphones, open or closed back is not an item that is logged in the new DB, so you can't search on that. You only get the fields shown in the Advanced Search dialog.

The reason that the LCD-X is returned on the search for "open" is that the word "open" is used in the title of the review. When doing a basic search, it seems that it is the thread titles that are searched, again the type of back is not logged explicitly.

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
My point is that there are NO items logged as "Amp".
Regarding the headphones, open or closed back is not an item that is logged in the new DB, so you can't search on that. You only get the fields shown in the Advanced Search dialog.
Ah, I think I get the confusion.
Logged as "* *amp" or "* amp" (as in for instance "headphone amp" or "preamp").

Hmmm, I just noticed that search results are different when using the advanced search compared to the standard search. (I just did a simple search using the term "amplifier" in both search options.) Maybe That's where I go wrong because the standard search does allow for multiple search terms. I seem to get more useful results when using that one, while I thought it would be the other way around. I'll experiment a little more. It could just be me. :) (sometimes I just have strange ways of doing things compared to the rest of the world)

Would it be an option to add the open or closed option in the search for headphones? I think its about the most important factor when searching for headphones apart from it being an OE or IEM.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Minor error / correction needed - I was looking the PM-90 for a different message thread and saw that

has the Marantz PM-90 listed as an amplifier instead of an integrated amp.

D

Deleted member 50971

@pozz hi, are the rankings still updated? I’ll post a picture, and I know theres a new system. O don’t quite know how to get the rankings on it, it just shows latest reviews for each category by date.

Attachments

• 1E78DD36-1948-46DD-BEB8-BD648B8D14F0.png
    1E78DD36-1948-46DD-BEB8-BD648B8D14F0.png
    514.5 KB · Views: 96

chuckt62

Editor
Minor error / correction needed - I was looking the PM-90 for a different message thread and saw that

has the Marantz PM-90 listed as an amplifier instead of an integrated amp.
Corrected.

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Ah. It's taken from this page: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?reviews/

It's a good idea to have a bigger link and to lead with the verb. @amirm, can you please revise this text here:
View attachment 158693
To read:
Thanks @danadam
First of all: The people "behind ASR" are doing an amazing job.

I think the best review-selector is the one in blue in the quoted text: That is the "drop-down selector".
It should have been much more "visible": I guess many are unaware of it.

My suggestion is to have a line of text between the Audio Science Review and the below line with text (and huge font) telling about it (and by clicking on it, it will lead to the selector).

Last edited:

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
You have done an absolutely amazing job regarding the review index, @pozz .
In this index, it seems that recent reviews are missing.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In this index, it seems that recent reviews are missing.
That index is deprecated. It only has data up to October of last year. Please use the Review Index in the top level menu bar of the forum.

Top Bottom