• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So, you think you are golden ears...

XpanD

Forum Donor
Did it with speakers here, interesting test.

You listened to 32 sounds. Of those you guessed 29 correctly!
You did better than 73% of people. Your average speed was 0.7 seconds.​

The first two tones when it got harder tripped me up (sounded the exact same), as did the first tone after the break. The rest were generally pretty easy to distinguish.

Reactions: trl

Krunok

Major Contributor
Did it with laptop speakers, amusing.. :)

You listened to 32 sounds. Of those you guessed 30 correctly!
You did better than 85% of people. Your average speed was 0.9 seconds.​

Reactions: trl

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
25/32 Using the cheap Altec Lansing BXR1220 at my gaming PC.

Thought I'd do much worse. I'm definitely no musician.

TungstenC

24/32
30/32 turned up the volume a bit
all done using headphones

cjfrbw

I did average, but low volume, because I was afraid of sudden screeching tone surprise attacks like they sometimes do on tests.

Stonetown

You listened to 32 sounds. Of those you guessed 30 correctly!
You did better than 85% of people. Your average speed was 1.5 seconds.​
Did it two times and 2 errors both times. Funny it didn't improved the second time! I think the tone isn't 100% pure sine and that makes it more difficult? :)
Cheers!
/Per

Last edited:

cjfrbw

My errors were always on the mixed light tone going down. I got all of the up tones correct. Does that make me half tone deaf?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm shocked - I listened with my computer speakers at low volume and got 29/32 with an average response time of 0.6s.

I am surprised because I simply cannot sing - I just cannot seem to hit proper notes and always assumed I must be tone deaf. But at the same time I've always had a keen ear when it comes to listening to music. So I guess I'm not actually tone deaf, and must have some other issue when it comes to singing.

Veri

Master Contributor
You listened to 32 sounds. Of those you guessed 29 correctly!
You did better than 73% of people. Your average speed was 1 seconds.​

I'm OK with this

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
An interesting test. 30 out of 32 me!
A more fascinating variation of this test, in the context of audiophilia, would be one that examines the individual's ability to discern small changes of level rather than frequency. Especially if there was a variable gap between the samples of, say, 0 to 2 seconds.

Laughinglife

25 of 32 off my speakerphone while watching a movie... Going to try using my system later. Interesting concept. Curious about signal and sample quality. Cool idea for sure.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You listened to 32 sounds. Of those you guessed 19 correctly!
You did better than 3% of people.​

I'm not surprised by this result.

Laughinglife

computer speakers this time around, 29/32 1 second average... home system this evening, will see what happens lol

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Stonetown

Soon some magic hearing audiophile comes here and explains for us that it is not interesting to try to measure our hearing like this, because what is tested here is not "relevant". Its something else magic which cannot be explained, which makes their hearing golden. So they don't bother if they got zero points in those hearing tests. Am I wrong? ;)
Cheers, /Per

ryanmh1

What was interesting about this for me is that 1db up was always very obvious but determining between flat and 1db down was substantially harder. Done on speakers in a room that isn't super quiet, though.

I had no problem with 1dB in either direction, and still managed about 70% on the .5dB on open back cans with lots of people talking in the background, and a construction site outside. .2dB was tough. After 15 tries I had about 95% confidence of 60% correct. Better than chance with three choices, but it takes a lot of concentration and I started going downhill. I think I could improve that further if I closed the door and stole the keys to the dump truck. It's also easier if you mentally time the first second, for some reason. When I counted off the first second, it was easier to hear the shift. This sensitivity jives with prior experience, where I was rather perturbed by slight channel imbalances in an Alps Blue volume pot in a rather expensive preamp. Had to yank out an oldie but goodie with a four gang Alps black. That solved it. So did one with a hermetically sealed step attenuator. As for that stupid tone deafness test.. Meh. I took an actual tone deafness test at the NIH to make myself feel better, and nailed that one. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom