• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Epos ES 14 N - best passive Speaker in SpiNorama.org so far? (7.4/10 with equalisation without subwoofer)

Rotiv

The Note series used metal cones. The drivers after VIFA came from Minebea (Japan) with production in China and partly Taiwan. I worked for them as a consultant and we made a lot of drive units for top companies in Europe. Gluing the drivers to the cabinet worked well .....the glue was a high-damping type and never dried out. The idea came from DYNAUDIO and in fact, we bought the glue from them. Removing the driver was not difficult. You just had to lay down the box with the drivers facing the floor (with two blocks) and wait one night. On the next morning, the drivers would be loose. Still works today :)

So that's why I never managed to remove the units from Dynaudio Crafft

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Note series used metal cones. The drivers after VIFA came from Minebea (Japan) with production in China and partly Taiwan. I worked for them as a consultant and we made a lot of drive units for top companies in Europe. Gluing the drivers to the cabinet worked well .....the glue was a high-damping type and never dried out. The idea came from DYNAUDIO and in fact, we bought the glue from them. Removing the driver was not difficult. You just had to lay down the box with the drivers facing the floor (with two blocks) and wait one night. On the next morning, the drivers would be loose. Still works today :)
I am really curious that I started looking in eBay for a used one. I broke the cabins of atleast 3 pairs and now I would like to give this method a chance. What replaced these glue on your newer designs? Once taken apart, one might need new fresh glue to fix it back?

OP
totti1965

totti1965

Today is a happy day! It seems that as of today we have a new record holder for passive speakers (without subwoofers)!
Congratulations to David Fabrikant from Ascend Acoustics!!! Incredibly nice in-room-response especially after a little bit of equalizing!
Buying a Neuman, a Genelec, a Dutch and Dutch, an Epos ES 14N or just the new Ascend Acoustics ELX Ribbon Tower - hard decision!

Ascend%20Acoustics%20ELX%20Ribbon%20Tower.jpg

Last edited:

dogmamann

Today is a happy day! It seems that as of today we have a new record holder for passive speakers (without subwoofers)!
Congratulations to David Fabrikant from Ascend Acoustics!!! Incredibly nice in-room-response especially after a little bit of equalizing!
Buying a Neuman, a Genelec, a Dutch and Dutch, an Epos ES 14N or just the new Ascend Acoustics ELX Ribbon Tower - hard decision!

No distortion measurements.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KEF Blade 1 Meta has Tonality 7.5 btw.
Perlisten r5t Tonality 7.3 too.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Has anyone Klippel'd the Perlisten? Would love to see that ....

Congrats to @AscendDF !! Data look great!

OP
totti1965

totti1965

KEF Blade 1 Meta has Tonality 7.5 btw.
Perlisten r5t Tonality 7.3 too.
All KEF speakers measured by KEF and all Perlisten Speakers: Quality of measurements is mediocre - so I filtered them out of course! KEF measured by Amir or Erin ……. By far less points!

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
All KEF speakers measured by KEF and all Perlisten Speakers: Quality of measurements is mediocre - so I filtered them out of course! KEF measured by Amir or Erin ……. By far less points!
But you posted the measurements from this speaker and are not from Amir neither Erin.. that doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
OP
totti1965

totti1965

But you posted the measurements from this speaker and are not from Amir neither Erin.. that doesn't make any sense.
If the company doesn’t make smoothing, it is o.k. There was much discussion because Karl-Heinz Fink from Epos made 1/12 Oktave smoothing wich is nearly as good as no smoothing. The Ascend Audio measurements are made without smoothing. My criteria is: Does Pierre Aubert says Quality of measurements is high / medium / low. I am only interested in High quality measurements.
But I have to admit: measurements from Amir or Erin are of course always the icing on the cake!

mj30250

As far as spinorama.org is concerned, it doesn't matter who measures it. If the raw data is generated by a Klippel NFS the quality will be marked as "high".

DSJR

Major Contributor

What I'd lkike to hear is if that tweeter integrates with the mid drivers properly. Maybe some of that would come up in a dispersion plot but listening is always important and an on-axis response plot won't always show this up.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One small remark:

It seems that something could be wrong with the distortion measurement.
According to the Spinorama data, the sensitivity at 2.83V is 86.1dB@1m. For a 10dB higher SPL, the voltage must roughly more than triple, i.e. to about 9V.

In the HD measurement, a voltage of 5.8V is specified, resulting in an SPL increase of 20 * log(5.8/2.83) = 6.2dB.
This results in an SPL of 86.1 + 6.2 = 92.3dB@1m for the distortion measurement and not 96dB as stated.
Unless the Klippel measuring voltage is not calibrated, which I rather doubt.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if preference score over-weights for bass extension. The ELX has F6 right around 35hz which is quite respectable. But I have seen a smoother overall response in my day. Not a lot smoother, mind you. Perhaps the "with sub" scores are more revealing then, since bass extension is, after all, typically a solvable problem if you add subs.

mj30250

I wonder if preference score over-weights for bass extension. The ELX has F6 right around 35hz which is quite respectable. But I have seen a smoother overall response in my day. Not a lot smoother, mind you. Perhaps the "with sub" scores are more revealing then, since bass extension is, after all, typically a solvable problem if you add subs.
The formula looks to be here:

LF extension (specifically -6db) is weighted fairly highly, just slightly below on-axis response. The ELX's F6 is very good and certainly helped the speaker to reach the elusive 7+ preference mark. Yeah, on-axis isn't textbook perfect and several active speakers / studio monitors can best it (Ascend's own LX bookshelf is flatter), but it's still very respectable and linear enough to be considered neutral. PIR also makes a big contribution to the preference score, and the ELX is nearly as good as it gets here.

From a purely subjective standpoint, I don't think I've ever heard a speaker I've liked more. I'm not sure what could be appreciably improved...perhaps a cardioid version to help reduce SBIR.

dogmamann

Now you are in danger! You touch KEF here in this forum; you get burned !

Top Bottom