• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

Rate this AC Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 373 95.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 3.3%

• Total voters

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, it is very true. Don understands it but you don't. Did you read the AES papers I listed for you yet? Until you do, you will continue to be totally confused about this topic.

I will give you another hint on why you are way off the field. A perceptual codec like MP3/AAC, etc. use threshold of hearing to set level of quantization as the compress audio. You think they don't work either because no microphone or speaker is involved?

Still not an in room microphone measurement of a speaker.

If it were, there would be be THD, H2, H3, H4 ... peaks well above the pasted Threshold of audibility

For a very good speaker the harmonic distortion series might be below your stated threshold of -40dB below the test frequency. The best speakers might be 50dB down.

As you point out, your posted FFT shows no speaker harmonic distortion peaks, none.

Added:

Last edited:

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
The philistines in this forum are getting out of hand. I think it is time I learn you some physics. There is a very good reason why at least 200 hours of use makes a difference. If you look at the marble steps of very old stairs, you will see in many cases indentations on the steps caused by the many individuals climbing the stairs over the yrs. Now, the cables being used have these electrons that are flowing through them and building these microscopic fluidic indentations that lead to channels through which the electrons can calmly flow. The fluidity created by these microscopic channels helps the signal flow in a more relaxed manner leading to a signal that is more analog (without the channels the signal is flowing through microscopic steps), allowing for a warmer yet more detailed sound signal that can only be perceived when the listener is able to enter a state of audio relaxation where hearing is at its optimum state (golden eared individuals are people who can enter that state with less difficulty). Clearly, measurements cannot discern these differences in cable performance, because at the moment we do not know how to measure the effects these channels have on the flow of electrons (btw, that is why it also matters which direction the cable is conducting, make sure you always keep the cables in the same direction; i.e. the source side should never be changed or it will affect the microscopic flow channels).

Now, please note that any comparative tests must always allow for the listener to be aware of his/her environment and the equipment under observation; otherwise, the listener cannot enter an auditory state which allows for heightened perception and thus able to perceive the effects of electrons being able to calmly and fluidly move through channels created by 100s of hours of electron flow.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The philistines in this forum are getting out of hand. I think it is time I learn you some physics. There is a very good reason why at least 200 hours of use makes a difference. If you look at the marble steps of very old stairs, you will see in many cases indentations on the steps caused by the many individuals climbing the stairs over the yrs. Now, the cables being used have these electrons that are flowing through them and building these microscopic fluidic indentations that lead to channels through which the electrons can calmly flow. The fluidity created by these microscopic channels helps the signal flow in a more relaxed manner leading to a signal that is more analog (without the channels the signal is flowing through microscopic steps), allowing for a warmer yet more detailed sound signal that can only be perceived when the listener is able to enter a state of audio relaxation where hearing is at its optimum state (golden eared individuals are people who can enter that state with less difficulty). Clearly, measurements cannot discern these differences in cable performance, because at the moment we do not know how to measure the effects these channels have on the flow of electrons (btw, that is why it also matters which direction the cable is conducting, make sure you always keep the cables in the same direction; i.e. the source side should never be changed or it will affect the microscopic flow channels).

Now, please note that any comparative tests must always allow for the listener to be aware of his/her environment and the equipment under observation; otherwise, the listener cannot enter an auditory state which allows for heightened perception and thus able to perceive the effects of electrons being able to calmly and fluidly move through channels created by 100s of hours of electron flow.
Just wOw! :D What a load!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Assuming this isn't sarcasm, did you know signal flow and electron flow aren't the same thing in wiring.

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
Assuming this isn't sarcasm, did you know signal flow and electron flow aren't the same thing in wiring.

Why on earth would you assume that? :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm not reading that signal flow stuff. I studied in electron flow and I don't want to mess up my brain. :facepalm: Lol...

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Now, the cables being used have these electrons that are flowing through them and building these microscopic fluidic indentations that lead to channels through which the electrons can calmly flow.

You have to be very careful when burning in though, never coil a cable as the electron flow will eventually create an oxbow lake and leave you with a pond full of pissed off electrons with nowhere to go, also beware of eddy currents that build up on 90 degree bends as these will induce standing waves and cause electron confusion.

audioholic63

You have to be very careful when burning in though, never coil a cable as the electron flow will eventually create an oxbow lake and leave you with a pond full of pissed off electrons with nowhere to go, also beware of eddy currents that build up on 90 degree bends as these will induce standing waves and cause electron confusion.
Same holds true in data connections. You have to keep all the patch cables and horizontal fiber backbone as straight as possible to avoid bending the 1's.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same holds true in data connections. You have to keep all the patch cables and horizontal fiber backbone as straight as possible to avoid bending the 1's.

Edit: Lengthy joke that clouds the discussion that follows.

That’s only true for data connections inside a PC or streamer which has relatively short distances. You can get better results (subjectively) with Einstein–Rosen bridges when it comes to the analog audio as opposed to digital info.

The problem is that you need to sit in an equilateral triangle to your speakers but you have a single source box even with monoblock amps. Electrons can only move at the speed of light, and there is a decent, very scientifically measurable distance that they have to move from the source
through the interconnect to amp and then to the speakers. That distance is not zero. This isn’t an issue with headphones, or at least my ears aren’t good enough to hear the difference at those close distances. So there definitely is a threshold where you just cannot hear the difference.
If you just bend the cables, it’s a lot of distance for the electrons to travel. It’s just like skiing and zig zagging. The audio isn’t as precise but works well if you need a more relaxed warm sound and a cheap mod. That’s why people like to generally keep the wires straight to have the least amount distortion. I have seen hardcore audiophiles in Japan who don’t stack the source and amp or even put them side by side but instead put them back to back so that your interconnect is straight. (You do have you be careful about components that have the left and right channels aligned vertically versus horizontally of course).

The trick for sending electrons faster than light is to fold space or do what non technical people call a wormhole essentially. If you take an piece of paper and imagine an object going from the top of the page to the bottom, there is s long distance to travel. Now imagine folding the paper in half and then stabbing a pen through the folds. You have traveled a very long distance from the perspective of space (the paper), but from the perspective of the listener (the pen), it’s quick. This is exactly what happens with audio signals that should be beyond the threshold of hearing but can actually contribute to the music.

This picture is good representation. Do you want your audio taking the long route on the left or traveling across the bridge for the most micro and macro dynamics, precision and transparency?

1657942077666.jpeg

The thing is that the super tweeters need cables with folded space, the mid range generally benefits from a straight or S curve to give you a more forward vs laid back presentation and the bass needs extra rigid speaker cable in order to prevent any of the microphonics or back EMF for distorting the bass.

When Amir runs his tests with the APx555 he isn’t thinking about the cables like this. You can actually use old lamp cord or radio shack cable and rely on the topology to give you the desired sound to match your gear but combining the proper topology with premium cables, is aural heaven. I would liken the sound to eating a freshly picked strawberry with organic vanilla ice cream that is freshly churned but then put in a cold freezer. Smooth yet crisp and almost at the threshold of being brittle.

I am just a hobbyist but if anyone really wants, I can make a custom IconiBlast c^4 cable for you which relies on folding space to give you audio speeds that would be like taking regular cables, squaring their performance and the squaring it again! It’s pretty pricey at 1 bitcoin/ft but I will give you a money back guarantee. It’s actually a good deal right now since BTC is cheap. PM if interested.

Oh, if you are skeptical, just look at the measurements of the Topping LA90 or Benchmark AHB2 or a DAC like the Mola Mola. Those implement this type of technology and you can see they have been measured here and clearly measure well. They won’t admit they use this technology just because it’s sort of a trade secret. The problem is that once you connect speakers to the gear, you lose the transparency. There is the problem of making a microphone cable with this technology though. Which makes is tricky to measure the effect directly. Just trust your ears and look at the golfing panther you see for the gear I mentioned.

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor

That’s good to know for when I lift the router and cables so I can vacuum under it, must remember to carefully align their chakras afterwards, it’s exactly this sort of valuable information that makes ASR a scientific powerhouse of knowledge

wwenze

Major Contributor
That’s good to know for when I lift the router and cables so I can vacuum under it, must remember to carefully align their chakras afterwards, it’s exactly this sort of valuable information that makes ASR a scientific powerhouse of knowledge

Remember to use an oriental brand vacuum so it doesn't suck out the chakra like the western brands do.

Andysu

Major Contributor
They are worth nothing. Don't forget to keep the connectors pointed upwards or the electrons will fall out (or downwards if you live South of the Equator).
equator line

DanielT

Major Contributor
A little more waffle from Danny, 5:40 on how to overfilter (with power cords?) and collapse soundstage.:oops:

According to Danny:
11:15 Danny about the HiFi gadget itself filtering. Of course, that is not true .Or rather it, the filtering, is affected by the power cord.

14:00 and a few minutes ahead. He's good at filling his minutes with jam packed bullshit. I'll give that to Danny.;)
He really manages to fill that video with euphoric descriptions of how the sound, through the use of different power cords, can collapse, open up, mean huge differences regarding soundstage and so on::oops:

Edit:
Smart sales waffle from Danny's side:
Cheap power cords are rubbish according to him, but why not spend even more money on power cords than Danny's costs and get even better sound than through his cords? Nop, then it can even get worse according to Danny, with too much filtering. So ... conclusion, according to Danny will be?

Last edited:

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
The key technical information was provided in the graph.
Was it? This is the graph I'm referring to:
index.php

So no, this is not some made up concept. I have explained it before many times and can do it again if questions are asked instead of complaints.
I didn't say it was made up. All I asked for was the reference as it's not on the graph. In addition, I suggested that you could have a page that lists your references and methodologies. I'm sorry, but I haven't read and savoured each word of your 38231 posts to date so I've missed your previous mentions of the reference.

I'm also curious how you took the bin width of the FFT into account when adding the audibility curve to the graph.

This is why accusation of expectation bias doesn't stick and people continue to believe in what they do.
I'm not accusing anybody of anything. Once again you're putting words in my mouth and I'm not real keen on that. I'm merely suggesting that we're humans and, as such, have biases. I base this on studies of human cognition. The works by Daniel Kahneman, including his book "Thinking, Fast and Slow" would be a good place to start. Or for a more entertaining read, Dan Ariely's "Predictably Irrational".

Tom

Top Bottom