• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cable Review Follow up [Entertainment]

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ignoring him would be the ultimate punishment and would hurt his sales
Clearly not. The fact that he needs to employ these antics is because we stopped ignoring. If it wasn’t needed to keep his flock together, he would do what you say: ignore us.

charleski

Major Contributor
It gets him attention and yes eventually sales. There is no such thing as bad publicity. Ignoring him would be the ultimate punishment and would hurt his sales
Yes, I think we need to remember who the target audience really is. He’s selling to those who already desperately want to believe. But the cable snake-oil business is deeply competitive as lots of people have realised this is a way to make money from audio without needing any real expertise. How do you stand out in such a crowded market? One way is to post made-up ‘proof’ like this in the hopes that people will link to it on delusion-fi forums, thereby getting his name out among the true-believers. Negative publicity from ASR does help this happen.

The true-believers are a lost cause, but I think there’s value in trying to prevent their ranks from swelling. Negative publicity may help him steal some sales from other snake-oil merchants, but ultimately it will shrink the size of the market as a whole.

Tassin

Geert

Major Contributor
Why continue this thing? It is not making him any sales and just seems like he is after my pant leg and won't let go.....

He knows you probably won't accept the challenge because it's totally ridiculous, which gives him the opportunity to tell his fans you're closed minded and not capable of using your ears. If you wrestle with a pig...

Last edited:

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I watched it this morning and it is the strangest thing ever. He again put my picture on the thumbnail and ending the video with "challenging" me and Gene to record our speakers and post them online. It is one thing if he proved that his room sound was better than the original but majority of people picked the original sound better than his recording. Why continue this thing? It is not making him any sales and just seems like he is after my pant leg and won't let go.....

Clearly you must have missed his previous "the BIG reveal!" video. It really puts things into context. Yet another curved ball because all these "challenges" had absolutely nothing to do with cables, but new speaker kits, flat packs, tube connectors and what not. But cables are never mentioned. This guy is absolutely amazing...:facepalm:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It really seems like he is playing ASR.
He is likely (dont know for a fact) getting exactly what he wants ( as a min he is driving eyes to his site)
So many here are playing right into his hands.
Sometimes, just sometimes, the best response is no response

JSmith

Master Contributor
I changed my power cables for some audiophile rope over the weekend... veils were lifted, angels sang etc., an amazing upgrade. :facepalm:

JSmith

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It really seems like he is playing ASR.
He is likely (dont know for a fact) getting exactly what he wants ( as a min he is driving eyes to his site)
I don't think he is getting what he wants. The opposite must be true or he would not have created no less than three "challenge" videos. Thinking out loud, he must have thought that the recording of the speakers sounded better than the original. He put out the video, only to realize that many liked the original, which completely screwed up his plan. If it had turned out the way he wanted he would declared the speakers amazing and his room even better. This is why he has changed this now to "Gene/Amir's recording of their speaker+room vs mine." Really, really confused mind to be thinking this way.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I changed my power cables for some audiophile rope over the weekend... veils were lifted, angels sang etc., an amazing upgrade. :facepalm:

JSmith
OFC? (Oxygen Free Cotton)?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find that OFL (Oxygen Free Linen) sounds best.
We can all agree that a high fidelity rope in the power cord greatly enhances the listening experience.

Ricardus

We can all agree that a high fidelity rope in the power cord greatly enhances the listening experience.
At this point the only consideration left is whether it's laid out in a spiral or in a braid.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find that OFL (Oxygen Free Linen) sounds best.
Damn you, we've painstakingly replaced all the fabric-lined mains cables throughout the house in the last few decades, and now you're telling me they bring better sound :facepalm:

Well, I do still have one lamp powered by it because it's basically impossible to get to it), so I could just hang a wire from the ceiling to my HiFi install... I wonder what my wife will think of it o_O

egellings

Major Contributor
I think it's a bit unfair to sneer at the man.
  • The cable is not too expensive
  • It does have slightly better performance
  • It may work for less well designed amp and noisy environment (if "cable interference" is true as the man said)
    • for example, usb isolator improve 28dB THD when using topping D10s with Intel NUC, if you use state of art DAC with less noisy USB port I think you can't observe any difference
Meanwhile, amir is happy to recommend a $1499 DAC (SINAD 120) that objectively has no audible difference to a $139 DAC (SINAD 118).
Why not do a null test and claim the $1499 DAC doesn't improve sound quality at all?:)

I would like to see more objective measurement result and less "show" like this.
There's audible sound quality and measured sound quality. After a certain measured quality level is reached which would represent the best of hearing's ability to notice any improvement then the race is over. Stop running. You've crossed the finish line.

Ricardus

Meanwhile, amir is happy to recommend a $1499 DAC (SINAD 120) that objectively has no audible difference to a $139 DAC (SINAD 118).
Why not do a null test and claim the $1499 DAC doesn't improve sound quality at all?:)
Amir is just telling you how well they test, and grouping them in a list according to score.

He's recommending both.

And he would agree with you.

OShag

‘…none of them have this hoaky sleeve on ‘em’. Haha Danny must be loving you right about now agha Amir khan.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Who cares if more people buy his product due to the extra publicity from this online debate.

Anyone who knows anything about following the science realises this product is useless, whether they heard of it through advertising, word of mouth, from Amir’s review, or however.

Amir’s only job here is to demonstrate the facts. It’s not his job to choose whether we ignore those facts. By completing these tests and publishing the results, Amir has done the job of providing us with the information we need to make a purchasing decision. If someone ignores it, that’s their own look out.

If Danny makes more money from the gullible, that’s his job, too.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing. :) This was in reference to my using the word, "bullshit". Remember our conversation?

J9im
Ah, yes I do. For your defense, I don't think you actually used that word. You subtly implied it, but never actually used it :) For this topic, I think it is spot on.

Top Bottom