• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva CMX2 AC Line Filter With DC Offset Eliminator Review and Measurements

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Emotiva CMX2 AC Line Filter with DC Offset Eliminator (Review and Measurements)
1685167341680.png

There has yet to be an AC line conditioner that shows any sort of measurable benefit. One area that hasn't been looked at is the value of DC blocker which can contribute to mechanical transformer hum. While it's not rocket science to build your own DC blocker, it is potentially fatal working with high volage / high current AC power -- which I guess makes it just rocket science.

Up for review today is the Emotiva CMX2 AC Line Filter. It sells for $82 including shipping. These were out of stock as soon as the pandemic started but just started coming back in stock.

The manufacturer doesn't make a lot of exaggerated claims. They just talk about reducing DC on the AC power line.
1685164094227.png

There is no UL listing or other regulatory information on the unit itself although the box does brag about being manufactured in an ISO9001 compliant facility. The unit is nicely machined with no sharp edges (apparently an issue with the original batch) and the included power cable is one of the nicest I've seen. It's a beefy 14 AWG cable that is surprisingly supple (and does have UL listing). The unit also includes a simple receptacle tester to confirm that it is correctly wired to the wall (like those $10 GFCI outlet testers).

Raw AC Outlet Measurement
I used a 20,000 count RMS multimeter. After confirming accurate AC voltage measurement, I switched to DC voltage and recorded the result. An RMS multimeter is needed to remove the AC component from the measurement. The actual value oscillates a lot, but I think it's fair to say that the DC measured straight was consistently higher, generally in the high 20s to low 30s in millivolt compared to the low 10s to low 20s with the CMX2. Whether this is just random variation in electrical noise/RMS calculation, or an actual measurement is hard to say. I don't have more sophisticated instrumentation for measuring AC power.

Straight
1685164489548.png

Through CMX2
1685164905113.png

I cannot find a great source on the minimum amount of DC that causes transformer hum, but I've seen phrases as "as little as 100 mV" being tossed around by audiophiles, so it would seem that my home electrical power is below the threshold needed to cause hum by an order of magnitude.

Test #1: Kenwood L-08M: Mechanical Hum
My restored Kenwood L-08M, which measures quite well and still has the claim-to-fame of a damping factor of 20,000 (with Sigma Drive applying negative feedback that accounts for the speaker cable) has a mechanical hum that's quiet but annoying for an otherwise incredible amplifier.

A UMIK-1 was placed next to the L-08m and RTA was run straight and with the CMX2.

Straight (LEFT) vs Emotiva CMX2 (RIGHT): There is no meaningful difference.

1685165281034.png
1685161314931.png
1685161564540.png

Darn. The hum isn't caused by DC offset on my AC line. It's something else.

Test #2: Raphaelite CS-30 Mk II: Tube Hum
My 300B SET, which sounds great despite measuring as far from transparent as we have seen so far, also generates 60Hz hum. This is presumably due to the AC heaters of the 300B as well as the tube based rectifier. Will the CMX2 improve this?

1685166001389.png

There is no meaningful difference although the measurements are slightly better with the CMX2.
1685165809731.png
1685165818611.png

Test #3: Bose 901 Series VI ver 2 Active Equalizer (Electrical Analysis)
The Bose 901 Series VI ver 2 active equalizer has the lowest noise and distortion off all my Bose 901 equalizers, but it has more AC mains noise than I'd like. For these tests, I just ran the equalizer directly to the E1DA Cosmos ADC with no input signal.

The E1DA introduces its own DC offset, and that should be ignored.

The CMX2 didn't make a meaningful difference but the measurements were slightly better with the CMX2
. You can see this on the spikes to the left and right of the 60 Hz peak. They're a bit lower with the CMX2.

1685166244590.png
1685166230875.png

Test #4: Topping D90 MQA (Electrical Analysis)
Last, I tried the Topping D90 MQA as a reference. This has a highly filtered power supply and world-class "120 dB SINAD". I reduced the averages for these tests to avoid the D90 running into power saving mode with no input. Again...

The E1DA introduces its own DC offset, and that should be ignored.

There is no meaningful difference, but the CMX2 measurement is again slightly better. The 120 Hz and 180 Hz spikes are lower with the Emotiva CMX2 in use.

1685166455191.png
1685166461730.png

Conclusion
I bought the CMX2 because I had some mechanical hum on some of my vintage gear. This is audible to me and is why I went down this route. The CMX2 didn't correct this. This isn't a negative reflection on the product but it means that I made an error in diagnosing the mechanical hum as DC offset. From that perspective, the CMX2 was a great way to test for DC-induced transformer hum without having to DIY anything. It would also be pretty hard to build something as nice as the CMX2 on your own unless you had a machine shop.

If you have mechanical transformer hum, I think trying a DC blocker such as the Emotiva CMX2 is a good and safe way to assess this. If it doesn't work, you're only out the cost of return shipping. Even using a multimeter probe on your AC mains can be dangerous if your multimeter is poorly constructed/defective.

What was interesting was that while none of my measurements suggest that anything audibly different, the performance measured through the CMX2 was consistently equal or slightly better than without. In the world of power filtering snake oil, that's actually nice to see that there is actually something measurable rather than detrimental.

Credit also goes to Emotiva for making no outlandish claims about this product.

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Update:
My Arcam SR250 does have a minor mechanical transformer hum with my ear to the vents. The CMX2 does successfully eliminate this mechanical buzz!

Measurements to follow. The buzz is below the noise floor of my UMIK-1, so I can hear it with my ears -- but not with the mic.

Last edited:

Johnplayerson

So the reality is , there is a lot of people that incorrectly think small amounts of DC offset are the cause of hum in their equipment. when the reality is, It is simply something else.

SimplySound

I just bought the CM-x2+ (plus) for $149 with free shipping direct from Emotiva. Not sure what the difference is between the old CM-x2 and the new CM-x2+, but the new model doesn't have any of the dignostic LED stuff in it. This guy actually 'mod-ed' the older model and he made the point that the LED Diagnostics was really a waste of resources.

For my situation, I bought a new 4K TV and I guess the electronics in it (they are more PC than TV now a days), or maybe it was some new LED ceiling lights I put in, created a hum in my APC H15 Power Conditioner that was really noticible. The APC has an isolation tranformer in it for Voltage Regulation and it was singing a song! Thing is, it would come and go throughout the day.

So after a whole bunch of moving things around and trying all the isolation tricks, I finally decided to give this DC Offset filter a go. Solved my problem!

I actually sent APC a note and suggested they build this filtering into the next gen-H15. I think many others have commented that it is surprising that the Furman's, Belkin's and APC's of the world don't already address this in their conditioners. But I guess it is a 'new world' issue!

Let's hope they get a clue!

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

EGrunt

I purchased the Emotiva CMX2 last year to help reduce a hum from a tube headphone amp and it fixed the issue. Fast forward to yesterday my Arcam AVR-850 now has a hum coming from inside the AVR-850. No issues with noise coming from the speakers. I disconnected everything from the back of the AVR-850, noise was still present. I moved the AVR-850 to another electrical outlet and the noise (hum) was still present. Connected the AVR-850 to the CMX2 and it removed the hum and the problem was fixed. I have had the AVR-850 since 2017 and I was thinking great it’s time to either find a local electrician to diagnose the noise / fix or buy another AVR.

SimplySound

I purchased the Emotiva CMX2 last year to help reduce a hum from a tube headphone amp and it fixed the issue. Fast forward to yesterday my Arcam AVR-850 now has a hum coming from inside the AVR-850. No issues with noise coming from the speakers. I disconnected everything from the back of the AVR-850, noise was still present. I moved the AVR-850 to another electrical outlet and the noise (hum) was still present. Connected the AVR-850 to the CMX2 and it removed the hum and the problem was fixed. I have had the AVR-850 since 2017 and I was thinking great it’s time to either find a local electrician to diagnose the noise / fix or buy another AVR.
Yeah EGrunt, I was thinking my APC was going bad since it is like 8 years old. But in reality, it is all of the DC sources that are creeping into our home electrical system in this day and age. This makes the discussion around Audio Quality and Power Conditioning all the more relevent.

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But in reality, it is all of the DC sources that are creeping into our home electrical system in this day and age.

What are the common DC sources?

SimplySound

Well, perhaps 'sources' isn't the perfect term. Let's use 'generators'...
  • Anything with a microprocessor (TV's, PC's, Phones, TV's).
  • Anything that is termed 'low voltage' (LED lights, Dimmer switches).
  • Anything that uses a Switched Mode Power Supply (SMPS)
Now is it necessarily an issue if DC power generators are introducted to our homes? No, unless they 'leak' and cause changes in what is called a DC offset on the AC Main.

This is from Quora on DC Offset:

There can be any number of ways of creating a DC offset, from the intentional to the undesired.

A DC offset is about an AC source in series with a DC source. This allows two separate signals to travel on only one set of conductors. Oftentimes, the unintentional is also undesired. Unintentional offsets can simply be caused by induced voltages picked along the way. If enough is there this can be problematic. Spikes, transients, surges, or any temporary anomalies are not DC offsets. A DC offset is always present, constant, effectively “shifting up” the AC signal.

Top Bottom