• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AV123 / GR Research X-Voce Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 281 93.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.7%

• Total voters

Todd68

I built a pair of NX Oticas and I'm totally satisfied with the sound quality and building them was fun and rewarding. I don't feel the need to EQ them like other speakers I've owned, they sound very balanced and accurate. I don't have GR subs though I have excellent results with a pair of 15" Dayton Ultimax subs for low bass. So here's probably the only positive remark in this thread. I prefer the presentation of music a lot over Kef R3 with subs I tried. Other models I owned other than NHT 3.3 probably not respected here.
Those subs look like they could crush skulls! Have you tried moving them to asymmetric positions? Maybe one in a front corner and one midway along a wall. It doesn't look as cool but you might get smoother bass.
I had them in the corners behind the speakers at first, never tried asymmetrical placement. I used REW to measure the subs and use an inuke 6000 with DSP to power them and add the filters. The don’t sound boomy like some might suspect.

DanTheMan

As I mentioned, my intent is to help his customers. Whether Danny is lying, incorrect or mistaken is secondary.
Understood. I have no desire to misrepresent or even imply your intent (although I did think it was in line with your intent to at least some degree), but he’s been presented with the data multiple times from several sources of various degrees of sophistications that all points in the same direction and there’s no way he’s mistaken or just incorrect now. Your posts, regardless of intent, demonstrate it and that’s what I see when I read them. Sorry that my post could be interpreted as a misrepresentation of your intent. They do bring me a smile though. I’m a lover of audio science. It just cracks me up to see it because I’ve known for a long time who he is and what he’s about in the audio sphere. He did the same thing to me that he‘s done to Amir many years ago when I came to that site with facts and graphs. I wasn’t even posting in his circle or about one of his products. He was trying to sell a kit that made expensive changes to a speaker I that I demonstrated could be measurably improved for peanuts. I just didn’t know that he was an intense snake oil salesman who was willing to do whatever he could to remove information that might dissuade potential snake oil customers. I had never even heard of him at that point, but he was informed about me and my data by his followers and he removed it and me while leaving his posts to discredit me. It was dirty. I make these posts to help his potential customers. I want people to look at this evidence in this thread so they can be informed by a narrative he doesn’t control. I‘ve even given him credit for his better designs. I mean if you really want a slice of the GR pie for whatever reason, may as well make it ones that we know are good ones so they’re not looking to upgrade soon and wasting their money.

Anyway, all apologies. I didn’t mean to misrepresent you in any way. Just letting you know that I appreciate your posts and what they demonstrate (to me at least). I will have a chuckle when you post facts in that thread. I can’t really help it.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Understood. I have no desire to misrepresent or even imply your intent (although I did think it was in line with your intent to at least some degree), but he’s been presented with the data multiple times from several sources of various degrees of sophistications that all points in the same direction and there’s no way he’s mistaken or just incorrect now. Your posts, regardless of intent, demonstrate it and that’s what I see when I read them. Sorry that my post could be interpreted as a misrepresentation of your intent. They do bring me a smile though. I’m a lover of audio science. It just cracks me up to see it because I’ve known for a long time who he is and what he’s about in the audio sphere. He did the same thing to me that he‘s done to Amir many years ago when I came to that site with facts and graphs. I wasn’t even posting in his circle or about one of his products. He was trying to sell a kit that made expensive changes to a speaker I that I demonstrated could be measurably improved for peanuts. I just didn’t know that he was an intense snake oil salesman who was willing to do whatever he could to remove information that might dissuade potential snake oil customers. I had never even heard of him at that point, but he was informed about me and my data by his followers and he removed it and me while leaving his posts to discredit me. It was dirty. I make these posts to help his potential customers. I want people to look at this evidence in this thread so they can be informed by a narrative he doesn’t control. I‘ve even given him credit for his better designs. I mean if you really want a slice of the GR pie for whatever reason, may as well make it ones that we know are good ones so they’re not looking to upgrade soon and wasting their money.

Anyway, all apologies. I didn’t mean to misrepresent you in any way. Just letting you know that I appreciate your posts and what they demonstrate (to me at least). I will have a chuckle when you post facts in that thread. I can’t really help it.

Thanks, but no apology needed.

I have expressed my share of frustration with Danny’s tactics. Am refocusing on a more positive and customer-focused approach.

Top Bottom