• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cable Review Follow up [Entertainment]

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sonny1

Hello everybody…

Another excellent Johnny Amir, as expected. I feel a little sorry for DR but he brought this upon himself. Glad Amir responded because the comments in the first GR video (the response) were a little nuts. People swearing they could hear a difference but never actually doing a DBT. Not even close to doing one. I knew how this would end but had to see it.

I’d be angry if I shelled out hundreds on this cable but I would consider it a lesson learned. Many of the guys responded with denial or they simply attacked Amir’s testing. We all respond differently when we are told we are wrong. I enjoy watching the guys who simply say, “no, you are wrong” without providing any evidence. It’s fun to watch.

sorry about the typos. I forgot how to edit and could not find the button. Was not calling Amir Johnny. That was autocorrect Magic. Meant to say review but somehow it was changed to Johnny. Johnny Amir sounds like a cable salesman! Has a good ring to it but it was unintentional.

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you inject the ends of his cable with bleach the sound is much cleaner. I do this to my computer power cord and it is a very effective anti-virus tool.

For audio cables I'd try hair products. Today, it's hard to imagine anyone with less than a 100% volume.

xaxxon

This is very important to me as well (and this cable goes the opposite way). To wit, I just bought a bunch high strand, silicone wire to make my test load speaker cables. They are a delight to use although very expensive compared to normal cables.
still curious what wire you went with for this.. I'd like to try one out.

jtavy

I disagree. Arguing over interpretations of religious texts or the consequences of political/social policies (with few studies) or the merits of personal adornments might be tribalism as you seem to be using it in the modern sense. Arguing about factual matters is quite different. It serves a very useful agenda: reducing the disinformation and mystery surrounding products and technologies as well as increasing general knowledge. Insofar as Amir focuses on the facts and the measurable outcomes I think it ultimately reduces tribalism by limiting the expansiveness of the belief framework that audiophiles use to justify their fringe pursuit.
Either GR needs to make a product that solved a need or fixes a problem. If it doesn't, don't offer it for sale. It will make people question all that follows.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Either GR needs to make a product that solved a need or fixes a problem. If it doesn't, don't offer it for sale. It will make people question all that follows.

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”​

― Upton Sinclair

The Dragon

Forum Donor
I'm really looking forward to my hair looking better once my hair dryer reaches 200 hours of burn-in.
Someone find me a single article showing that burn-in isn't a myth in any circumstance. I swear I remember one that made very modest claims about the results of burn-in, but I can't remember if it related to speakers, headphones, cables or what. We know it wasn't cables.
Cable burn-in relates to the psychological aspects of marketing. Figure a 30-day return period offered by most manufacturers. After buying GR's magic power cable, you listen to your system an average of four hours a day and no sound difference occurs. When you call to get an RMA from GR, they ask you "Did you burn in the cables for 200 hours?". You: "Well....no" (you only used them for 120 hours). Then you are left with a decision to make. Do I believe this marketing hype and wait for the big "night and day difference" or send them back? Spoiler: If you keep the cable, the sound will not magically improve. Now you can't get a refund. See how that works?

These are carefully thought out sales and marketing strategies. Of course you can pay someone to "burn in" your cables. Some cable companies even offer that service when checking out - for a price... Nice of them, huh? Don't be fooled by this nonsense.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
still curious what wire you went with for this.. I'd like to try one out.
Test lead wire has a high strand count and is commonly available with a silicone jacket. And I found this:

Last edited:

Katzz

I just hope that gr research keep making those types of videos on trying to teach amir a lesson, he will just keep discrediting himself even if amir doesn't respond (through someone debunking the points of a person trying to sell snake oil is always satisfying to see, just like goldensound responding to the developers of tidal MQA format) It his subscribers had a minimun of logical sense and they watched previously videos of him showing measurements of his mods for speakers and comparing with the stock models but not showing any diference in measurement for his cables they can easily see how he is not exactly a person to trust. What I found really funny is that amir used profesional equipment and there is not any minimun diference, but danny can hear a diference with his 40/50 years old ears that not matter much you have taken good care of them, those ears already had some form of wear off from effects of aging. Its just so crazy to me that there are people believing to danny ears instead of professional equipment that is desing to show the most minimal diference with a lot more precision than any human ears of any age.

Last edited:

DanTheMan

His latest video has just dropped off the deep end and I don’t even think he believes in what he’s selling anymore. He just doubles down on the same tactics only they’ve veered further off the rails. Edit: he did the same years ago.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I watched it this morning and it is the strangest thing ever. He again put my picture on the thumbnail and ending the video with "challenging" me and Gene to record our speakers and post them online. It is one thing if he proved that his room sound was better than the original but majority of people picked the original sound better than his recording. Why continue this thing? It is not making him any sales and just seems like he is after my pant leg and won't let go.....

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I watched it this morning and it is the strangest thing ever. He again put my picture on the thumbnail and ending the video with "challenging" me and Gene to record our speakers and post them online. It is one thing if he proved that his room sound was better than the original but majority of people picked the original sound better than his recording. Why continue this thing? It is not making him any sales and just seems like he is after my pant leg and won't let go.....
It gets him attention and yes eventually sales. There is no such thing as bad publicity. Ignoring him would be the ultimate punishment and would hurt his sales

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It all comes back to the cables; he's desperate to show that cables, signal and power, make a difference even though that cannot be measured.

So commision a blind test from a neutral third party! No cable manufacturer has ever done that, and we all know the reason why.

This thing with recording the sound of systems makes no sense whatsoever, nothing can be gleaned from that. I don't get why he does not understand that.

Top Bottom