• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sescom SES-BUB-1206 XLR to RCA Converter Review

Rate this converter:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 62 60.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 24 23.5%

• Total voters

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Btw with an okto dac dont think an adapter is required and an xlr to rca conector is enough, as is with most pro devices like soundcards etc...
From the Okto manual:

Warning: We strongly discourage the use of balanced-to-unbalanced cables and converters. Doing so will result in significantly decreased analog performance due to the short they present to the output of the dac8 Stereo's analog stage, potentially overloading it and risking damage after long-term use with high signal levels. Warranty does not apply to units with analog circuitry damaged by using XLR to RCA cables and converters.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Thanks for another great review (and product). My only suggestion for improvement is fixing the “XRL” typo in the thread title :)
@amirm

Toni Mas

From the Okto manual:

Warning: We strongly discourage the use of balanced-to-unbalanced cables and converters. Doing so will result in significantly decreased analog performance due to the short they present to the output of the dac8 Stereo's analog stage, potentially overloading it and risking damage after long-term use with high signal levels. Warranty does not apply to units with analog circuitry damaged by using XLR to RCA cables and converters.

Too bad... Though an XLR to RCA cable does not necessarily short anything if it leaves unconnected one of the 2 balanced output pins. Some pro devices ( RME's ones for example) are also short circuit protected.

Btw HIFI gear tend to use balanced mode mainly to decrease THD ( cancelling H2 products) and noise, while pro gear uses balanced connections to allow longer runs of cable, and I personnally find a bit ridiculous this typically picky audiophile use of 50cm XLR cables for marginal SINAD improvements. Worse is when you are bound to operate in balanced mode if you want to avoid decreased performance. A good output design should perform the same, balanced or unbalanced.

Last edited:

mga2009

Thanks for the review!

Would like a review of a converter the other way around, RCA to balanced XLR and 2Vrms to 4Vrms.

AudioKC

Tried to find it in different shops, not in stock… have you guys seen it in stock somewhere in the US?

Toni Mas

Most XLR -> RCA cables will have a Pin 1-3 short in them. This is something to be very aware of if adapting an XLR output to an RCA input.
Professional gear should not be bothered, and, in fact, the short is sensed in many cases and used to implement a 6db gain increase for the other polarity.
Sure, better not but ready to use XLR to RCA and make our own.
Also make sure that the RCA input of the gear used is DC protected.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would we need in for the reverse direction, that is RCA to XLR, when you buy the cheap Monoprice interconnect cables, or Ghantaudio's, or pay a little more to get Benchmarks, or March Audio's? I don't know of a good reason for an active device unless someone cannot afford to lose 1/2 the voltage and, or length is an issue.
My RZ50 L/C/R RCA out>XLR inputs of Buckeye Purifi L/C/R channels. Currently using Monoprice cables to convert.

Veri

Master Contributor
Most XLR -> RCA cables will have a Pin 1-3 short in them. This is something to be very aware of if adapting an XLR output to an RCA input.
Professional gear should not be bothered, and, in fact, the short is sensed in many cases and used to implement a 6db gain increase for the other polarity.
Yup. True.

Thanks for the review!

Would like a review of a converter the other way around, RCA to balanced XLR and 2Vrms to 4Vrms.
Like this? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-of-transaudio(china)drv134-rca-to-xlr-adaptor-converter.9948/

wwenze

Major Contributor
Active converter? Hmm... well it's just a good preamp with XLR in and RCA out so I guess any XLR-in preamp accomplishes the same. It has a form factor that fits the name tho and a performance better than generic studio gear.

ocinn

I've used $6 XLR to RCA cables in professional work since I was literally 14 years old, and never had an issue. I have a pair in a drawer somewhere, and I placed a small toggle switch in the strain relief of the XLR that disconnects the 1-3 pin short.

It's insane to pay $90 for an active box, lol. What is even the point of this? I understand in the reverse configuration, where you need to generate a differential 4v signal from a 2v unbalanced input, but this product reads to me as something that like, audio contracting companies can sell to clueless clients just to fatten up their invoices and margins.

I'd wager a simple converter cable would perform quite a bit better, simply due to its simplicity.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The wiring will still be weird.

Also 8 adapters of these cost more than a Topping Dm7 8 channels dac :oops:

Btw with an okto dac dont think an adapter is required and an xlr to rca conector is enough, as is with most pro devices like soundcards etc...
I have an Octo 8 Pro and need XLR to RCA for my two SVS SB2000s. I use use the Benchmark Cable that disconnects Pin 3 rather than shorting it to ground, and it seems to work just fine for my subs. Even if that introduces some distortion, not at all sure whatever increment that adds would be audible above the distortion all those bass transducers already have. And I'm sick of buying stuff I have to find an AC outlet for.

Toni Mas

I have an Octo 8 Pro and need XLR to RCA for my two SVS SB2000s. I use use the Benchmark Cable that disconnects Pin 3 rather than shorting it to ground, and it seems to work just fine for my subs. Even if that introduces some distortion, not at all sure whatever increment that adds would be audible above the distortion all those bass transducers already have. And I'm sick of buying stuff I have to find an AC outlet for.
Rather than say that It increases distortion, i would rather say you loose the marginal benefit of some distortion cancelation... But nothing to cry mom about as i am tired of reading...;)

Sokel

Master Contributor
Active converter? Hmm... well it's just a good preamp with XLR in and RCA out so I guess any XLR-in preamp accomplishes the same. It has a form factor that fits the name tho and a performance better than generic studio gear.
There are pre's that do some of it good,some of it not so good when it comes to bidirectional.
Example:

NormalRCAOut.jpg RCAtoXLR.jpg

And there are occasions where companies strongly suggest NOT to use the simple passive XLR > RCA converters or cables on it's outputs,like the Topping DM7 for example (and others if I rememberer well).

So there is a market for this.

Toni Mas

There are pre's that do some of it good,some of it not so good when it comes to bidirectional.
Example:

View attachment 300625 View attachment 300626

And there are occasions where companies strongly suggest NOT to use the simple passive XLR > RCA converters or cables on it's outputs,like the Topping DM7 for example (and others if I rememberer well).

So there is a market for this.
Well i am seriously considering buying a Topping Dm7, but won t care a damn about the company s warnings and consider them totally ridículous, unless their intention is merely avoiding RMAs.:p

Sokel

Master Contributor
Well i am seriously considering buying a Topping Dm7, but won t care a damn about the company s warnings and consider them totally ridículous, unless their intention is merely avoiding RMAs.:p
If the degradation they imply is enough to bring it down to a 100$ interface perfomance (specially if noise is what is affected) why spend for it?
I would measure it if I was you.

levimax

Major Contributor
Nice to see something that works as it should. For the cost of this you can just about get a Jensen transformer based solution. While it probably is not audible the transformers will have less noise and more distortion better CMRR and of course almost perfect galvanic isolation. Also no power required. I would go for the transformers but it is good to have choices.

Toni Mas

Nice to see something that works as it should. For the cost of this you can just about get a Jensen transformer based solution. While it probably is not audible the transformers will have less noise and more distortion better CMRR and of course almost perfect galvanic isolation. Also no power required. I would go for the transformers but it is good to have choices.
With these transformers (even better than the cheapo Neutrik units tested by Amir) you will get a significant increase in distortion and high pass filtering in the low frequency. For Jensen units you will have to pay more than the adapter tested here, for a worse result, worse even than if you simply take the signal from one of pin 2 or 3, and obviously avoiding to short and overload anything.

If long cables several meters long are not needed balanced connections won t bring any significant improvement other than a marginal sinad improvement owing to noise reduction and H2 cancelation. And also a useful trick to increase voltaje swing in headphones amplifiers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom