• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Little Bear MC3 XLR & RCA Switch Review

Rate this switcher:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 31 23.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 92 69.7%

• Total voters

mccririck

Is this not more accurately called an adapter rather than a converter? It seems to be just a a switching adapter

I've long used XLR to RCA cable adapters for years and no conversion was required when connecting my Genelecs (w/ built-in volume controls) to a player's RCA line level outs.

I've always understood that the purpose of the XLR connector is long runs of balanced connections and that the pro level connector is heavy duty, durable and, importantly, can't be inadvertently yanked out due to its retaining lock. The Canare XLR cabling I use for recording is also quad-shielded against interference so that counts too.

XLR can enable a balanced connection, assuming balanced inputs/outputs, but I've always understood that this is really not a factor with Hi-Fi component interconnects and the short cable lengths used. But I don't consider myself an audiophile listener so maybe I'm mistaken on that.

I never thought the purpose of XLR cables was to conduct higher voltage (as a poster speculated) than is needed for any listening or any recording task because higher voltage than what RCA is capable of conducting is not required for those things.

XLR connectors are also used to supply power to certain devices. For example, pro level video camera-to-battery connections have used them. There too, it's the un-yankable connector that serves the professional camera operator's need.
XLR outputs tend to be 4V, and RCA arund 2V.

_Zaxer_

Pardon my ignorance everyone,

Maybe it has already been answered in the thread, but I would like a straight response just to be sure.

Let's suppose this scenario, If I have 2 dacs with both rca and xlr outputs, but connect only the xlrs to this switcher, then on the output part of the switcher connect the rca to a headphone amplifier that has only rca in, even ignoring the voltage difference in this case, wouldn't that create some kind of short in the dac because somewhere in the chain the two colds/grounds (not use which one would be correct) of the xlr side would be shorted?

Just to add the products as the points of reference
Dacs: smsl su9-n (already owned) + denafrips ares 2 (considering a purchase) - - > xlr cables - - > switcher xlr in - - > switcher rca out - - > rca cables - >rebel amp (considering a purchase)

The point of this would be to avoid having to have a separate rca switcher

From the measurements done by goldensound it should accept up to 11V in input, so I think than we could safely ignore if the dacs would output at around 4v from the xlr

Same goes for a hypothetical opposite situation, dac with only rca out that's connected to an xlr input on an amplifier

Once again pardon my ignorance, I'm not an expert by any means and would love to get an explanation by someone who knows more about this

MrOtto

This is a nice device for connecting a phono preamp to a pair of active speakers with XLR/TRS input.

SD2KING

someone should put a switcher inside a box with a phono preamp and a dac with a streamer. Maybe some EQ and a volume knob too, and a headphone out.
Yes! Fingers crossed for the Hypex DIY pre amp to come with some interesting add-on modules some time this year.

CarbonMakerU

Forum Donor
I'd have to ask what DAC does not have RCA outs in the first place, and why anyone would use a XLR out when you are only going to end up with an RCA connection anyway, and no benefit from starting with the XLR.
You are right from a strictly audio perspective, but in my case I have several headphone amps, and I avoid having to put a switcher into the loop by using one of the XLR outs on my pre-amp to the XLR in on one of the headphone amps.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With transformers and $90. Art ClearBox Pro. RCA to XLR, XLR to RCA, XLR to XLR, RCA to RCA.

1708659620029.png

Robciak

Edit: the box does route between XLR and RCA. This causes ground loops though but there is that measurement:
Do you think the same situation occurs when converting RCA to XLR? I wanted to connect a phono preamp with unbalanced output to an active speaker with balanced input. The reason for the conversion is the length of the cable, as the speakers are quite far from the source and require 10m of cable.

Last edited:

pseydor

are there any concerns re: the lack of locking clips on the input terminals?

Top Bottom