• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A70 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 163 49.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 118 36.0%

• Total voters

hampestampe

Has anyone got theire a70 shipped yet?
I placed a preorder March 11:th. I've got an email about that if I don't reply that mail they will send me the second batch with slightly improved design, to avoid the turn on "popping sound" but then they will ship my unit/second batch in the beguining of April.
I've droped a e-mail to Aiyima two days ago and asked for an update about when they will ship my unit, since it's just "order unfulfilled" when I log in to my Aiyima account.
In my opinion the beguining of April has now passed. I don't like this lack of comunication. If it's further delayed I would like to get informed rather then have to write an e-mail to them and ask. Anyway now I did send that mail over 48 h ago and they have not responded.
So far not impressed.

I placed a preorder March 11:th. I've got an email about that if I don't reply that mail they will send me the second batch with slightly improved design, to avoid the turn on "popping sound" but then they will ship my unit/second batch in the beguining of April.
I've droped a e-mail to Aiyima two days ago and asked for an update about when they will ship my unit, since it's just "order unfulfilled" when I log in to my Aiyima account.
In my opinion the beguining of April has now passed. I don't like this lack of comunication. If it's further delayed I would like to get informed rather then have to write an e-mail to them and ask. Anyway now I did send that mail over 48 h ago and they have not responded.
So far not impressed.
Slow boat from China Syndrome.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
So far not impressed.
The pain of being an early adopter! Which is why I like to wait for a long while and see how products do in the real world.

Aiyima is not as polished in their responses to me as Fosi, but they have come through in the end. I expect the delay is due to the production refinement that you mention.

The pain of being an early adopter! Which is why I like to wait for a long while and see how products do in the real world.

Aiyima is not as polished in their responses to me as Fosi, but they have come through in the end. I expect the delay is due to the production refinement that you mention.
My experience with the delivery from China goes like this. No updates>sudden delivery

Carrera911xc

So far not impressed.
I received a response fairly promptly, but if past experience is any indicator, when a cs rep says they needs two weeks to solve a problem, it usually means they have no idea when parts will actually be ready for shipment lol

Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2024 12:51:46 AM

I am sorry we have found some new problems, we need more 2 week to slove it.

Marion

AIYIMA Audio

Email: [email protected]

Wechat: AIYIMATECH

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AiyimaAudio

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I received a response fairly promptly, but if past experience is any indicator, when a cs rep says they needs two weeks to solve a problem, it usually means they have no idea when parts will actually be ready for shipment lol

Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2024 12:51:46 AM

I am sorry we have found some new problems, we need more 2 week to slove it.

Marion

AIYIMA Audio

Email: [email protected]

Wechat: AIYIMATECH

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AiyimaAudio

surely a bit painful, but seems like they are building up on proper testing.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
This is a bit of a downside of the current heated competition level to release the latest and greatest...products are getting announced and promoted ahead of getting all of the final manufacturing versions finalized. I am sure a lot of fur is continually flying between the designers/technicians and the marketing folks in these companies...

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is a bit of a downside of the current heated competition level to release the latest and greatest...products are getting announced and promoted ahead of getting all of the final manufacturing versions finalized. I am sure a lot of fur is continually flying between the designers/technicians and the marketing folks in these companies...

Seems like everyone is in a hurry to bring a PFFB TPA3255 amplifier all of a sudden.
Look... another PFFB TPA3255 amplifier released - Here.

KaeliKoo

Aiyima customer service is not very refined, or prompt. That said, everything I've ordered from them has been received timely with no duds or returns. I'll wait for refinements but am intrigued to listen/review the the A70 with 48V10A power.

T&T

Yes, definitely they are working on refinements, I remember when Aiyima A07 Max came on market and review, people were complaining about the capacitors not been 63v, but right away they change to 63v, so expect a better and unexpected amplifier design. What would be the surprise?....
They are reading here, same as Fosi and they will not let Fosi take all the coins.

grogi.giant

So, another lovely semi-vert brick from Aiyima. :)
I like this form factor overall, just have some itch when there's an external power brick.
Thanks for this highly appreciated review, @amirm!
My vote is "great" for the amp itself, obviously less for the power brick.

I like the external psu. There is absolutely no hassle in replacing it should it brake down. The amp will take virtually any voltage over a standarized plug.

I have seen far too much gear went scrap because the built-in power-supply brakes down.

Ace123

I bought it in the presale. I'm still waiting for delivery. A couple of weeks ago they wrote to say they had figured out a way to eliminate the pop that was occuring on power up, but that mod was going into units being built in April and very consumer friendly like, asked if I wanted to wait for a corrected model. I'm waiting. I ordered the 10 watt power supply and paid $198. I will be able to compare it to some really nice tube amps after it arrives.

Dorus

This is a review and detailed measurements of the AIYIMA A70 stereo class D amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $190 with 48v @ 5 amp supply. As tested with 48v 10amp GaN supply, it costs US $220.
View attachment 354921
As you see, the A70 comes in vertical desktop configuration. Controls are easy: push the button for power up and again to cycle between XLR and RCA inputs. Hold it for a few seconds and it goes into standby. Back panel shows nice inclusion of balanced XLR inputs:
View attachment 354922
Yes, that 10 amp brick is the mother of all external power supplies! :) At 480 watts, any heat dissipation would be challenging given the sealed box. Use of GaN transistors seems to have enabled high efficiency as it hardly warmed up during the testing. The amp's heat source is on the bottom. I wish the feet were taller to allow better convection cooling. Fortunately that area didn't get too hot in testing.

Nice to see trigger input to allow one button power up of the audio chain from the source. We also have a sub output wit variable filter output (yes, it is controlled by the volume setting).

Diagonal speaker terminals help some to fit beefier speaker wire termination.

There is a switch to add 3 dB of gain to RCA input. I didn't realize this until after testing. It is a smart move as the gain otherwise may be a bit low for some people.

The A70 is one of the few TI TPA3255 chip based amplification utilizing post filter feedback loop (PFFB). This should get rid of load dependency and improve linearity by dialing out the distortion from the output stage. Let's see if that is the case.

AIYIMA A70 Amplifier Measurements
Let's start with setting the volume to max using XLR input (all testing with 10 amp supply):
View attachment 354923
We see a nice boost in SINAD as predicted, landing the amplifier essentially in our "excellent" category:
View attachment 354924
View attachment 354925
RCA input has fair bit lower performance but still above average:
View attachment 354926
Note that I adjusted the volume down to 25 dB per my recent standard of testing amps (used to use 29 dB).

Noise performance is excellent:
View attachment 354927
Despite its lower gain with XLR input, you can still reach full power at 3.3 volts which is well below nominal 4 volts we see out of majority of DACs. So I am good with that.

Let's jump into frequency response as that is the other big deal:
View attachment 354928
Nice! We see a bit of frequency dependency but it is outside of our hearing range.

I set the subwoofer output frequency to the lowest and measured this:
View attachment 354940
I don't know how this is useful for anyone....

Crosstalk is extremely good:
View attachment 354929

Good performance numbers give way as you go up in higher frequencies in multitone and especially in 19+20 kHz IMD:
View attachment 354930
View attachment 354931

Let's see how much power we have:
View attachment 354932
View attachment 354933

That's a lot coming out of this little box. We are talking nearly 360 watts total. 8 ohm output is naturally lower:
View attachment 354935

Edit: as noted, performance does degrade above certain frequency:
View attachment 354941

My reactive load doesn't like these bridged amps. The issue seems to be in one channel so I left that disconnected and drove only one:
View attachment 354936
The amplifier is specified down to only 4 ohm but seemed robust enough to even handle 2 ohms, albeit with a good bit of voltage drop. Translating the above into watts we get:
View attachment 354937
For those of who want to use these amps in mono, you now have that information as well.

There is likelihood of a turn on "pop" but turn off noise is completely eliminated:
View attachment 354938

Finally, amplifier was essentially ready to go on power up:
View attachment 354939

Conclusions
What a journey to have watched in these "chip amps." We have gone from $30 to $40 amplifiers with horrible performance to above average in less than $100. Load dependency remained though and so many of us pointing it out, we finally have a solution to that as well. Alas, cost has increased so we are not talking about a fast food meal but one at a nice restaurant. You have to decide now if the extra performance is worth it. It is to me as an amplifier doesn't obsolete so might as well get a good one and sleep easy.

I am happy to recommend the AIYIMA A70 stereo amplifier.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Question on these ChiFi amps: Would my 57-year-old ears hear the quality difference between the top-ranked Topping LA90 and this unit, the Aiyima A70, via my Wharfedale EVO 4.2?

Top Bottom