• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sescom SES-BUB-1206 XLR to RCA Converter Review

Rate this converter:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 62 60.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 24 23.5%

• Total voters

Toni Mas

If the degradation they imply is enough to bring it down to a 100$ interface perfomance (specially if noise is what is affected) why spend for it?
I would measure it if I was you.
The importance of Sinad is widely over estimated. I will not buy the DM7 because of its measurements, but because It is better than the cheap ESI 8 channels dac i am currently using, and It is also cheaper than more expensive other options that i might also consider like minidsp Flex 8, any RME unit, or even a cheaper Motu.
What i like in chinese products like Topping's is not their Sinad numbers, but simply their much LOWER PRICE!:p

MCH

Major Contributor
The importance of Sinad is widely over estimated. I will not buy the DM7 because of its measurements, but because It is better than the cheap ESI 8 channels dac i am currently using, and It is also cheaper than more expensive other options that i might also consider like minidsp Flex 8, any RME unit, or even a cheaper Motu.
What i like in chinese products like Topping's is not their Sinad numbers, but simply their much LOWER PRICE!:p
The advice about not doing it with the DM7 has nothing to do with Sinad or measurements. Read what @JohnYang1997 wrote in it's review thread

Toni Mas

The advice about not doing it with the DM7 has nothing to do with Sinad or measurements. Read what @JohnYang1997 wrote in it's review thread
I have read this and other comments on DM7 and as commented won t care about, unless JohnYang instead of simply warning "dont do It" as if we were kids explains the reasons why and the questions involved. If not I see no reason to avoid using their gear as i think It makes sense to use It.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I have read this and other comments on DM7 and as commented won t care about, unless JohnYang instead of simply warning "dont do It" as if we were kids explains the reasons why and the questions involved. If not I see no reason to avoid using their gear as i think It makes sense to use It.
I'm quoting him:

Regarding TRS to RCA cable that left + or - open, there can be small amount of residual DC offset at the output, last time I check it is smaller than D10 Balanced's. It's certainly not prohibited to do it although not recommended. The next stage should have DC blocking to make sure the DC offset from the DAC doesn't get amplified 20-30 times. And unfortunately unbalanced multiple devices connection will extremely likely cause ground loop. Even it is possible to do so without harm to any components. It likely would cause some degree of hum/buzz/high pitch noise from USB etc. It can be done but quality is not assured.
So in the end, balanced all the way will almost guarantee good quality audio in a system.

In bold is where the real danger is.Unless you have taken care of it.
It's not a "SINAD" degradation which in case of distortion can be inaudible,it's a practical,electrical matter.
DC offset is no joke,combined with a nice,powerful amp can make your speakers drivers fry (or fly) .

Toni Mas

I'm quoting him:

In bold is where the real danger is.Unless you have taken care of it.
It's not a "SINAD" degradation which in case of distortion can be inaudible,it's a practical,electrical matter.
DC offset is no joke,combined with a nice,powerful amp can make your speakers drivers fry (or fly) .
How shall I repeat: I KNOW ALL THIS (and also have commented), but THANKS FOR ADVISING!:cool:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this device have much use?
I can think of a lot of uses for the reverse of this, meaning, RCA to XLR, but not this one.

AudioKC

levimax

Major Contributor
For Jensen units you will have to pay more than the adapter tested here, for a worse result, worse even than if you simply take the signal from one of pin 2 or 3,
Wow I hadn't checked the price on the Jensen products for awhile.... looks like they doubled the price since I bought mine several years ago.

I don't think a "worse result" based on roll off or distortion for the Jenson or the Sescon product compared to a direct connection is the way to look at these devices. Jensen has distortion of 0.015% THD @ 20 Hz which is worst case and LF roll off -0.04 dB @ 20 Hz which is worst case while the Sescom has virtual no distortion or LF rolloff but it does have some added noise. Using one of these devices in addition to providing the peace of mind of knowing the connection will be fool proof with the correct voltage you also get CMRR of 90 dB for a transformer vs CMRR of 70 dB for a Chip solution vs none for a direct connection. Galvanic isolation is complete with a transformer, maybe "some" with the Sescom and none with a direct connection. Transformers also don't need to be plugged in and will last forever. For hooking up XLR to RCA a good transformer is the "gold standard" but expensive, chip based solutions like this Sescon have excellent performance and are less expensive and a "direct connection" is a reasonable "hack" in many cases as long as you don't need CM noise rejection or galvanic isolation.

AudioKC

reading this message gave me the impression that we can unbalance DM7 with this device. I will try it with an unbalanced sub.

Toni Mas

reading this message gave me the impression that we can unbalance DM7 with this device. I will try it with an unbalanced sub.

For a sub no need to be that picky, anything can be used...:p

Last edited:

AudioKC

For a sub no need to be that picky, anything can be used...:p

I had nasty thummm sound from sub when I turned off dac and used TRS to RCA adapter, hope this powered adapter will solve that issue

gvl

Major Contributor
@amirm I suppose this works a treat with something like an Okto DAC8 or so, but can't you get away with lots of balanced outputs just using a non-shorting XLR-RCA cable adapter? Something like a cheap monoprice one does short but proper floating ones are out there. A lot cheaper than this converter adapter...

If you have a short run then a simple adapter is likely just as good if not better, provided your source’s one leg of balanced is not crippled (think Topping D10s balanced). On long runs going XLR into this thing sitting next to an amp may help to reduce interference.

OldManMatt

Not a bad little piece of equipment in my opinion..at least it doesn't completely degrade the signal. I was able to aquire a passive JDI Duplex with the Jenson transformers while doing some trades. The JDI is meant for pro recording gear I believe but I've been able to use it on numerous pieces of hifi equipment the last few months. I had no past experience with these types of equipment and was quite impressed by the Duplex. Subjectively it sounds like it act cleans up the signal a bit. Eliminated any ground loops or noise issues, remedied any gain issues between components, also solved impedance issues between tube pre's and solid state amps..140k ohm input, 600 balanced output.

I only used it with tube preamps and balanced SS amps. The drawback is you lose some gain, but most tube pre's I've encountered (budget priced) have too much to begin with. Other drawback is I believe this box is about $450 new. It does have a couple extra features to it though. I looked up the price of just the transformers with interest of making my own, they go for $99 bucks a piece. Apparently it's not cheap making an adapter that doesn't add distortion or degrade the signal in some way.

Dave Bullet

The DM7 presents 128mV DC when used unbalanced. Both hot and cold pins present the same DC offset

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good to have these numbers if the need arises, but agree that it's a pity that it costs about as much as an unbalanced DAC in the first place.

Sescom Audio

Audio Company
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Sescom SES-BUB-1206 XLR balanced to RCA active converter. It was kindly drop shipped by a member and costs US $90.
View attachment 300524
The converter comes in the typical, robust metal box. I like that the power supply connector has screw lock.

View attachment 300525

Note that this is XLR to RCA and not reversible.

Sescom SES-BUB-1206 Measurements
The converter nicely takes in 4 volts and outputs 2 volts:

View attachment 300526

Distortion is at nearly -120 dB which is completely inaudible. Noise is what sets SINAD (and the fact that it drops the voltage in half):
View attachment 300527

Frequency response is wide and superbly flat:
View attachment 300528

IMD vs level just shows the noise penalty:
View attachment 300529

Performance remains essentially the same regardless of frequency:
View attachment 300530

Conclusions
At long last, a converter that doesn't butcher the input signal! While there is some noise penalty, the converter still provides excellent performance. The main con is the fact that it costs $90 per channel. In stereo then it will set you back $180 -- money that you could have used to buy a balanced receiver to begin with.

I am going to recommend the Sescom SES-BUB-1206.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
... Sescom thanks you, and the honest comments regarding the power supply from this forum overall. We agree, we don't love the wall wart options- We have some designs that use phantom power to power the converters, but at a cost of phantom power. We have some others, but the USB doesn't lock as reliably.

Know that we are truly a USA company, and open to feedback, and hope to hit some scale to greatly reduce price - but as a small - designed, engineered, and built in the USA company (and employee owned) We don't have the buying power of some larger companies- so unfortunately, we end up passing along costs.

We could easily make a new 2 channel, or other variances. And would love to send in other products no charge for honest reviews. No sponsored reviews, just honest reviews. WE appreciate the candor!

sincerely
Daniel Coscarella
Product Director(17 years and counting!)

Sescom Audio

Audio Company
I wish they had a stereo version as that would not add much to the cost.
as you wish! it will be put into R&D, though simple and quick overall in Dev time we have a pretty large queue in front. But we will make one ! simple enough

Sescom Audio

Audio Company
Top Bottom