• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Henry Engineering Matchbox HD RCA/XLR Converter

Rate this converter:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 6.3%

• Total voters

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thank you all !
By the way, is the Gustard P26 analog or digital amplifier ?
With vinyls I would like to preserve the analog "image"...
Thx
Analog.

But any competent digital component has orders of magnitude more resolution and dynamic range than a vinyl recording.

a2Thompson

Thanks for the review. I used one of these to go from XLR on my Topping DM8 to a subwoofer RCA. Without something like this or the sescom SES-BUB that was previously reviewed here there is a DC offset in the XLR that prevents a simple XLR to RCA cable. I was able to find a couple of these Matchbox units used for less than $50 so a real savings over everything else out there and glad to see the fidelity is great, especially for my subwoofer purposes.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Not to sound cynical (me?!? perish the thought!) but I find two aspects of this product's nomenclature amusing.

1) "HD"
2) "IHF <> 'PRO'"

;)

Nothin' wrong with the component, though (of course)!

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

musicforcities

Yes.

A continuous cable from the wall point to the power switch and primary is a whole lot better than an unnecessary termination to a socket, then a plug, then onwards.

Resistance, poor/intermittent contact, losses, heat etc, not to mention a whole lot of wasted cost and rear panel real estate making allowance for a silly IEC 3/2 pin or maybe and equally useless figure 8 socket. Fine on camera battery chargers, kettles or computer/monitors, but not HiFi, where the earth connection is often vital.

It's audiophool stuff.
Here here. The only thing I don’t like is how long some of the hardwired cords are. Especially when it’s just one of those little 6ft long 18/2 ones. they end up coiled around and while I do hear anything, 6 different cords in 6-8in diameter coils just seems not great. I just cut ‘em and put a new plug on them.

babadono

Bummer on the SparkFun discontinuing both the OutSmarts and InGenius Break out Boards.... thinking of laying out and getting fab'd my own version with better connectors.

massimodec

Is this one, very good review as well, good to go from XLR to RCA with no hummings ?
or is it just a simple three-to-two connector ?

Little Bear MC3 XLR & RCA Switch

droid2000

Is this one, very good review as well, good to go from XLR to RCA with no hummings ?
or is it just a simple three-to-two connector ?

Little Bear MC3 XLR & RCA Switch

I don't think that one does any conversion. It's literally just a passive mechanical switch.

Funny thing about an alternative: I wanted to convert my RME's RCA outputs to XLR and considered the unit under review.
I have a Schiit Midgard sitting idle for a bit, so I did a bit of reading and thought, yeah, the Midgard will do the job: RCA out from RME to Midgard (RCA in) and then output to a pair of powered monitors via XLR. And it works!! Works well actually; and Midgard costs less and can be used as a pre-amp and head-amp. Killer value?

PS: The Midgard is inherently not balanced, but as Schiit states a lot of pro audio gear accepts balanced inputs and the signal is converted internally to S.E. for processing purposes. Even some expensive gear is designed that way, sooo, from a practical point of view it works.

If I had more $$, this plan B: a nice Benchmark LA4 would have done the job as well, and probably much better! :)

Top Bottom