• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sescom SES-BUB-1206 XLR to RCA Converter Review

Rate this converter:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 62 60.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 24 23.5%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Sescom SES-BUB-1206 XLR balanced to RCA active converter. It was kindly drop shipped by a member and costs US $90.
Sescom SES-BUB-1206 XLR Balanced to Unbalanced RCA Active Converter Review.jpg

The converter comes in the typical, robust metal box. I like that the power supply connector has screw lock.

Sescom SES-BUB-1206 XLR Balanced to Unbalanced RCA Active Converter Power Supply Review.jpg

Note that this is XLR to RCA and not reversible.

Sescom SES-BUB-1206 Measurements
The converter nicely takes in 4 volts and outputs 2 volts:

Sescom SES-BUB-1206 XLR Balanced to Unbalanced RCA Active Converter Measurement.png

Distortion is at nearly -120 dB which is completely inaudible. Noise is what sets SINAD (and the fact that it drops the voltage in half):
Sescom SES-BUB-1206 XLR Balanced to Unbalanced RCA Active Converter SNR Measurement.png

Frequency response is wide and superbly flat:
Sescom SES-BUB-1206 XLR Balanced to Unbalanced RCA Active Converter Frequency Response Measure...png

IMD vs level just shows the noise penalty:
Sescom SES-BUB-1206 XLR Balanced to Unbalanced RCA Active Converter IMD Measurement.png

Performance remains essentially the same regardless of frequency:
Sescom SES-BUB-1206 XLR Balanced to Unbalanced RCA Active Converter THD vs frequency Measurement.png

Conclusions
At long last, a converter that doesn't butcher the input signal! While there is some noise penalty, the converter still provides excellent performance. The main con is the fact that it costs $90 per channel. In stereo then it will set you back $180 -- money that you could have used to buy a balanced receiver to begin with.

I am going to recommend the Sescom SES-BUB-1206.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for another informative review. It's good to have an option like this, without going on blind faith of its performance.

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Randyman...

The Henry Twinmatch-HD/Matchbox-HD is a solid unit (have the 4-channel -10>+4 unit - had to replace the regulator once, but good as new). I swapped to the Radial J+4's for my galvanic isolation needs, and it specs a little better on noise (likely due to the Henry's internal PSU). But at $130+/Channel, it's a bit more than the Henry or SES offerings...

Veri

Master Contributor
@amirm I suppose this works a treat with something like an Okto DAC8 or so, but can't you get away with lots of balanced outputs just using a non-shorting XLR-RCA cable adapter? Something like a cheap monoprice one does short but proper floating ones are out there. A lot cheaper than this converter adapter...

Randyman...

How would a device like this handle groundloops ? Does it provide any isolation ?
Probably no transformer (an assumption, but looks like it is using a THAT1200 series which doesn't require any for this application). But lifting the shield on the XLR side is likely to help with any remaining ground loops. I had to replace the Henry due to ground loop issues (it's DC coupled) - the Radial is silent (and adds a lift switch if needed).

Randyman...

@amirm I suppose this works a treat with something like an Okto DAC8 or so, but can't you get away with lots of balanced outputs just using a non-shorting XLR-RCA cable adapter? Something like a cheap monoprice one does short but proper floating ones are out there. A lot cheaper than this converter adapter...
And a bank of 8 wall-warts - lol. Probably not the best solution for multichannel.

MCH

Major Contributor
Oof.. I scrolled to the measurements didn't even realise the wall wart being there. No that must be wildly impractical :D
Wouldn't it work well with just one wall wart that provides enough current to power the 8? (it is a question)

Toni Mas

Wouldn't it work well with just one wall wart that provides enough current to power the 8? (it is a question)
The wiring will still be weird.

Also 8 adapters of these cost more than a Topping Dm7 8 channels dac :oops:

Btw with an okto dac dont think an adapter is required and an xlr to rca conector is enough, as is with most pro devices like soundcards etc...

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At some point, if you need both directions in stereo, a Topping A30 A70 pro or L70 will be a cheaper solution.

EDIT: A30 has no preamp, just pass through.

Why would we need it for the reverse direction, that is RCA to XLR, when you buy the cheap Monoprice interconnect cables, or Ghantaudio's, or pay a little more to get Benchmarks, or March Audio's? I don't know of a good reason for an active device unless someone cannot afford to lose 1/2 the voltage and, or length is an issue.

Last edited:

Randyman...

The wiring will still be weird.

Also 8 adapters of these cost more than a Topping Dm7 8 channels dac :oops:

Btw with an okto dac dont think an adapter is required and an xlr to rca conector is enough, as is with most pro devices like soundcards etc...
Indeed. And even if the level is too hot going in that direction (pro levels on Balanced Line signals can be +27dBu or more - that's well over 20volts) - a simple resistor pad (H-Pad) would fit the bill into the RCA -10dBv input. The SES device here is also an attenuator (4v in XLR; 2v Out RCA). So not quite ready to play with true "big-boy" balanced line levels.

Why would we need in for the reverse direction, that is RCA to XLR, when you buy the cheap Monoprice interconnect cables, or Ghantaudio's, or pay a little more to get Benchmarks, or March Audio's? I don't know of a good reason for an active device unless someone cannot afford to lose 1/2 the voltage and, or length is an issue.
And I should mention my use of the Radial J+4 is in "the other direction", and I needed active gain to get the appropriate level from my Denon AVR into my Dynaudio active speakers (The Dyn's analog input is adjustable from +9dBu to +27dBu!)

Top Bottom