• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit KARA Preamp and Headphone Amp Review

Rate this preamp and headphone amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 90 38.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 122 52.1%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review, listening tests and detailed measurements of the Schiit KARA balanced preamplifier and headphone amp with stepped relay control. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $699.
Kara.jpg

Oh wait... that is the picture of our dog, Kara! :D Here is the Schiit version:
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier review.jpg

As I have mentioned before, I am a fan of the elongated Schiit products. It gives them a slick look. Controls are logic controlled and there is a pause as you change gain. As noted, volume knob controls a set of relays for attenuation, producing matching channel response. The relays act very quickly which is good as far as keeping the muting low as you crank the knob. The mechanical sound though is of "bizzing" nature so not very pleasant if you are close to the unit. Labels use mnemonics that are hard to decipher at first but you learn them quickly.

Looking through the vents from above there are red LEDs situated in quadrants, giving you the feeling that there are tubes in there! Don't know if that was intentional or not but a neat touch for people wanting to see signs of life inside their audio gear. Here is the back side:
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier back panel review.jpg

EDIT: Review updated with Active Gain Mode

Schiit KARA Pre-amp Active Mode

I test preamps by adjusting the volume control to get the same output as input voltage ("unity gain") with the lowest gain where that is possible. So let's start with XLR balanced input set to 4 volts in and out:
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier Active XLR Measurements.png

This is excellent performance with distortion at -120 dB. Adding a bit of noise and SINAD becomes 117 dB. Here is RCA connection using the same setup:
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier Active RCA Measurements.png

Strange that one channel has so more distortion (in relative manner) than the other. We have seen this in one other Schiit pre-amp where a second sample cured it.

The noise performance is excellent:
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier Active SNR Measurements.png

Frequency response is flat and extended:
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier Active XLR frequency response Measurements.png

Intermodulation distortion is basically limited by noise:
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier Active XLR IMD Measurements.png

Wideband distortion+noise is quite good:
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier Active XLR THD vs Frequency Measurements.png

Schiit KARA Passive Pre-amp Measurements
This is the measurements for passive mode which basically conveys the analyzer performance sans impedance loading by the volume control.
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier XLR Measurements.png

Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier SNR Measurements.png

Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier RCA Measurements.png

FYI, I measured upwards of 27 volts output before the amp shut down in high gain mode! So you have plenty of headroom to drive any amplifier regardless of what gain it has.

Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier XLR Frequency Response Measurements.png

Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier IMD Measurements.png

Crosstalk is excellent:
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier XLR Crosstalk Measurements.png

Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier THD vs frequency Measurements.png

Let's test the headphone output now.

Schiit KARA Headphone Amplifier Measurements

EDIT: "Low" gain here means passive. "Medium" means Active Low Gain.

Headphone performance is very good as far as our dashboard. It is only relative to pre-amp output that it shows some weakness:
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier Measurements.png

best headphone amp review.png

I was surprised that the noise performance had degraded fair bit compared to pre-amp (right):
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier SNR Measurements.png

best headphone amplifier tested.png

Frequency response is still good but again, a step down from pre-amp:
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier frequency response Measurements.png

Distortion also sets in at 300 ohm:
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier THd 300 Measurements.png

But there is a lot of power available.

Distortion gets worse at 32 ohm:
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier THd 32 Measurements.png

But again, we have a lot of power.

Sweeping impedances, we see that the headphone amp really doesn't like low impedances/delivering current:
Schiit Kara Balanced Preamplifier Headphone Amplifier Power vs Load Measurements.png

Schiit Kara Listening Tests
I tested the Kara's headphone amplifier starting with my Dan Clark Stealth headphone which is an inefficient low impedance headphone.. On bass heavy test tracks, distortion sets in very early, matching the measurements. Switching to Sennheiser HD650 300 ohm impedance, that issue was resolved and I was getting clean sound to skull resonating levels. Unless you listen quietly, the headphone amp is best suited to high impedance headphones.

Conclusions
In passive mode, the preamp naturally reflects the superb performance of the Audio Precision analyzer. Note that it will change the loading impedance so may impact performance of other devices connected to it. To avoid this, you want to use the active mode which still produces excellent performance.

I had high hopes that the same preamp would be driving the headphone output and in differential mode. Neither is the case. It seems a separate design is carrying that duty which can't keep up with the performance of the preamp, or frankly, Schiit's own headphone amplifiers when it comes to lower impedances.

On the basis of the performance of the pre-amp, I am going to give my recommendation to Schiit Kara.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A very transparent and low distortion preamp!! Well done Schiit. Good thing is Kara loves eating carrots and not preamps!!

Eldus

Have any pictures of the back of the unit?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is clean as could be and a preamp is useful for those using things like DIRAC. No DAC unfortunately. Thank you @amirm
It's amazing that electronics with extremely good measured performance are now available at reasonable prices.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
  • Input Impedance: 10K ohms
  • Output Impedance: 75 ohms SE, 600 ohms balanced
  • Crosstalk: >110dB typical all modes
  • Inputs: 2 XLR pairs plus 3 RCA pairs, selectable via front switch or remote
  • Outputs: 1 XLR pair plus 2 RCA pairs, selectable via front switch or remote
  • Headphone Output: Front panel plug-in (
  • Volume Control: Relay-switched stepped attenuator with discrete thin-film resistors, 128 0.625dB steps
  • Operational Control: In addition to onboard controls, the Kara also comes with a wireless remote.
  • Power Supply: One 48VA transformer with dual series regulated +/-32V rails with Quietude topology; plus regulated 5VDC for microprocessor
  • Power Consumption: 22W typical
  • Dimensions (WDH): 16 x 8 x 2 – inches
  • Weight: 11 lbs

Specifications​

Balanced to Balanced

• Gain: 1 (0dB)
  • Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 3Hz-500KHz, -3dB
  • THD: <0.0002%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 4V RMS
  • IMD: <0.0002%, CCIR
  • SNR: >129db, A-weighted, referenced to 4V RMS
  • Gain: 4 (12dB)
  • Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 3Hz-300KHz, -3dB
  • THD: <0.0004%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 4V RMS
  • IMD: <0.0004%, CCIR
  • SNR: >123db, A-weighted, referenced to 4V RMS
Balanced to SE, x1 Gain

• THD: <0.0003%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 2V RMS
  • IMD: <0.0003%, CCIR
  • SNR: >123db, A-weighted, referenced to 2V RMS
SE to Balanced, X1 Gain

• THD: <0.0015%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 4V RMS
  • IMD: <0.0022%, CCIR
  • SNR: >122db, A-weighted, referenced to 4V RMS
Headphone, X1 Gain

• Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1W RMS per channel
  • Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 1W RMS per channel (yes same as 32 ohms)
  • SNR: >123db, unweighted, referenced to 2V RMS
  • Crosstalk: >-90dB
  • Output Impedance: 0.25 ohms

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
5-Year Warranty and Easy Return Policy
Kara is covered by a 5-year limited warranty that covers parts and labor. And if you don’t like your Kara, you can send it back for a refund, minus 5% restocking fee, within 15 days of receiving it.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I marked it down for the headphone performance, which seems almost broken with low impedance headphones. I perhaps wouldn't have marked it down as harshly if I knew the value of a good preamp, but I don't really see a need for preamps when DACS already have volume control, and then you've got volume control on your active speakers too.

Bleib

Major Contributor
A bit expensive but otherwise terrific

VQR

Awwww loook at dat cootie whos a cootie whos a cootie!!!!!!

Oh that's a nice preamp too. Shame the HP portion is wonky at low impedences.

SCG

I know Doodski published the specs and for quick reference as Balanced XLR preamp it has 3 modes: Passive, Low gain (buffered 0db) and High gain (12db).

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it illegal to put phono stages in preamps? Schiit makes a pretty decent one.

Nice unit, I like the separate outputs for subs and stuff. Price is very reasonable.

Top Bottom