• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX XLR to RCA Adapter Review

Rate this converter:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 121 82.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX XLR to RCA (and vice versa) adapter. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $35.
Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX Transformer Balanced XLR to RCA Converter Review.jpg

The device feels very solid and oozes quality when you look at the RCA connector:
Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX Transformer Balanced XLR to RCA Converter connectors Review.jpg

This is a transformer based converter so balanced operation is maintained. The key then is the quality of the transformer. Let's see how it measures.

Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX Measurements
Let's start with our dashboard of 4 volts over balanced to the device and then RCA out:
Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX Transformer Balanced XLR to RCA Converter Measurement.png

Ouch! That is a nearly 60 dB hit to our SINAD caused by the large amount of harmonic distortion. Company specs "Max. Input level (@ 50 Hz, 1% THD): -3 dBu." I am not sure how to read that so let's make our own measurement:
Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX Transformer Balanced XLR to RCA Converter THD vs Level Measurement.png

We see that distortion sets in very early at just 70 millivolts. Let's look at the frequency response:
Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX Transformer Balanced XLR to RCA Converter Frequency Response Measurement.png

Hmmm. There is no mention of a high pass filter yet that is what we have. That is likely there because the transformer massively distorts at low frequencies:
Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX Transformer Balanced XLR to RCA Converter THD vs Frequency Measurement.png

I think we know the story and can stop here.

Edit: Here are some additional tests at -3 dBu. Let's start with the Audio Precision APx555 analyzer measuring itself with this voltage level:
Apx555 analyzer -3 dBu Loopback.png

We naturally take a hit in noise performance, reducing our SINAD to 115 dB which is still excellent. Distortion is non-existent. Now let's just plug the NA2F-D0B-TX in the analyzer output without changing anything. In other words, we want to see how much it loads down the output of the analyzer:
Apx555 analyzer -3 dBu with NA2F-D0B-TX Loopback.png

Wow, look at how it distorts the stout output of the audio analyzer, dragging its SIAND down to 91 dB due to all those harmonics.

To figure out what is going on, I measured the DC resistance of the XLR input of the NA2F-D0B-TX and it is just 46 ohm! No wonder it is killing the performance of the analyzer.

Finally let's measure the NA2F-D0B-TX fully in the loop now:
Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX -3dBu.png

Before you say "84 dB is still pretty good" keep in mind that your device may distort heck of a lot more then the output of the analyzer and drag you down even more.

Net, net, stay away from such adapters.

Conclusions
I must stay, I am very surprised that a company like Neutrik puts out a product with such poor performance without any direct mention of such. To be sure, good transformers cost money but at least put the buyer on notice that any performance your audio gear has would be obliterated by this converter.

Needless to say, I can't recommend using Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX converter unless hum is a major problem.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX XLR to RCA (and vice versa) adapter. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $35.
View attachment 292813

The device feels very solid and oozes quality when you look at the RCA connector:
View attachment 292814

This is a transformer based converter so balanced operation is maintained. The key then is the quality of the transformer. Let's see how it measures.

Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX Measurements
Let's start with our dashboard of 4 volts over balanced to the device and then RCA out:
View attachment 292815

Ouch! That is a nearly 60 dB hit to our SINAD caused by the large amount of harmonic distortion. Company specs "Max. Input level (@ 50 Hz, 1% THD): -3 dBu." I am not sure how to read that so let's make our own measurement:
View attachment 292818

We see that distortion sets in very early at just 70 millivolts. Let's look at the frequency response:
View attachment 292819

Hmmm. There is no mention of a high pass filter yet that is what we have. That is likely there because the transformer massively distorts at low frequencies:
View attachment 292820

I think we know the story and can stop here.

Conclusions
I must stay, I am very surprised that a company like Neutrik puts out a product with such poor performance without any direct mention of such. To be sure, good transformers cost money but at least put the buyer on notice that any performance your audio gear has would be obliterated by this converter.

Needless to say, I can't recommend using Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX converter unless hum is a major problem.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
>> "Max. Input level (@ 50 Hz, 1% THD): -3 dBu."

thats 0.548 V rms, so they spec its limits to this level with max THD at 50Hz... whats difficult to read from this?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
thats 0.548 V rms, so they spec its limits to this level with max THD at 50Hz... whats difficult to read from this?
Because it is not any kind of maximum. It is just a random data point.

Hayabusa

Because it is not any kind of maximum. It is just a random data point.
Indeed they could have added >50Hz.. That would have made a more complete definition of it its limits.
I think the device is more used to couple lower level devices like musical instruments to the mixer on a podium..
Measuring it at 1 V clearly is above spec. ( 4V I see now..)

thecheapseats

from long experience (if one must use a xfmr) - go Jensen xfmrs (or equivalent quality) - or go home...

and just fyi this is a +4 to -10 (dictated by the xlr gender)... they make a -10 to +4 as part# NA2M-D0B-TX (not that you'd want either one)...

Hayabusa

from long experience (if one must use a xfmr) - go Jensen xfmrs (or equivalent quality) - or go home...

and just fyi this is a +4 to -10 (dictated by the xlr gender)... they make a -10 to +4 as part# NA2M-D0B-TX (not that you'd want either one)...
They clearly spec -3dBu...

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
you know when you have a 'made in liechtenstein' mark you know you're getting quality

Hayabusa

did I misunderstand something? - wouldn't be the first time...
No, probably I did...+4 to -10 suggests it can handle +4dBm but it just defines the gain difference..

Top Bottom