• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Little Bear MC3 XLR & RCA Switch Review

Rate this switcher:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 33 24.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 93 68.9%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As I noted, some bleed pretty bad. I have one that I use for 3.5mm switching and it is that way. Test yours by listening to the non-active input and cranking up the volume. If you hear the playing channel, then it is no good.
Thanks, I'll try that test! Am I right in thinking that's only an issue if you have 2 active sources playing at the same time into the switch box, ie if you only have one source actively playing into the switchbox at any given time then it doesn't matter if the crosstalk is bad (because there's only one source being played at a time)?

EDIT: and a small additional note, I'm getting confused between crosstalk and the bleed you mention, because crosstalk is leaking between the channels, whereas the bleeding you're mentioning is between the different inputs - and they're either related or not?

EDIT #2: tried the test you mentioned, listening to the non-selected input whilst it was playing at max digital volume and max volume on the back of the speakers and I didn't hear anything - at first I thought I got an increase in static (the 308p mkii's have hiss always) but that was momentary placebo, I tried turning the music stream on & off a few times and there was no difference.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Am I right in thinking that's only an issue if you have 2 active sources playing at the same time into the switch box, ie if you only have one source actively playing into the switchbox at any given time then it doesn't matter if the crosstalk is bad (because there's only one source being played at a time)?

Mostly true, yes.

The best HiFi used gas-filled relays with short-to-ground connections and separate relays for each channel etc, but capacitive coupling and high level signal meant crosstalk still got its head in the door. Also, crosstalk increases with frequency.

Amir is right. Most of the time it's academic and so it doesn't really matter. That is, until you hear it and you can't unhear it. A tuner or line input 'breaking through' into another input is really annoying. What's worse to me is one channel behaving worse than another in the same unit.

But, they are 'first world problems' in the scheme of things aren't they? :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mostly true, yes.

The best HiFi used gas-filled relays with short-to-ground connections and separate relays for each channel etc, but capacitive coupling and high level signal meant crosstalk still got its head in the door. Also, crosstalk increases with frequency.

Amir is right. Most of the time it's academic and so it doesn't really matter. That is, until you hear it and you can't unhear it. A tuner or line input 'breaking through' into another input is really annoying. What's worse to me is one channel behaving worse than another in the same unit.

But, they are 'first world problems' in the scheme of things aren't they? :)
It seems from my testing that I'm not getting bleed from one input to another, even though during normal use I never have an unused input still being allowed to play, so it seems my ultra cheap switchbox is up to the job without negative impact albeit that's the only test I've done on it!

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There will be no conversion in this unit. No transfomer and no active circuitry means no actual differential drive to the XLRs. The XLR to RCA probably just drops the cold and connects only the hot.
What does that mean in laymen terms? From XLR to RCA do we get a reduction of the voltage? And most importantly, would you fix hums and ground loops?

madrac

RCA is less voltage then XLR. If they are dropping a leg of the XLR signal the voltage drops (would need to for the equipment downstream with RCA in). I doubt it will fix hums/ground loops as still RCA in the chain. That said, nothing wrong with RCA for short runs, assuming good/shielded cables. If you have a hum/ground loop, cabling may/may not be the source

poopy

A simple Ohm meter could tell what it does.
As there is only a switch in there it makes sense that in XLR to XLR mode the + and - are both switched.
In RCA to XLR most likely +XLR goes to RCA signal and -XLR goes to RCA ground and vice versa, given the RCA test results.

NO balanced to SE conversion (would require a transformer).

So the only quality aspects here are:
switch build quality,
box build quality (screening)
Connector build quality
Channel separation: I wonder how ground is handled, all tied together or L and R separate ?
Only XLR screens connected ?
I would assume pin 1 is not switched and always connected in to out (seems to switch phantom power)
If channel separation is a real concern, buying one box for every channel is still a very cheap solution IMO. For L/C/R, this means only 1 more box needed, so the cost increase is minimal

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Its not a real concern.
What does that mean in laymen terms? From XLR to RCA do we get a reduction of the voltage? And most importantly, would you fix hums and ground loops?

There is no transformer so no voltage doubling/halving and no groundloop solving either, I would even think the opposite is true as the ground wire (shield) is not ground anymore but the negative signal so quite unbalanced.

Ein

I have also one on my chain and it works great. Not hum, no pops, no nothing. A90 also Matrix Mini-i 3 Pro plug on it and clean signal. Also if you want hear for example analog source (RCA like deck, vinyl or tape - my scenario) on power-amp connected via XLR with pre (with no SE or converted) it is elegant solution. Pure signal, no differences to power-amp, SE pre all RCA (pre with only 2 in, one out so very clean path)..

Also two good solution from this manufacture - XLR switch 3-1 and fantastic speakers switch with special route for bulbs amps (1-4 4-1).

OShag

My thoughts would be that this is essentially the same as a straight RCA to XLR adapter but this device has multiple connectors? Am I correct in assuming this? If it does not have a transformer then will it still be able to keep the grounding intact in the xlr, ie fully balanced operation from end to end?

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Anyone any experience with this other little bear / douk audio speaker switcher?

Thinking I might get this for some basic A / B testing - claims to provide both speaker A/B and amp A/B switching

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Good device, do they have a two amps in and one speaker out switcher?
That is one of the setups for the VU102 device, I think.

Unless I am misreading it you can have either:
1. 2 Amps in one speaker output
2. 1 Amp in and either 1 or both speakers output

All controllable via a little remote control.

Dean Palmer

I have this exact unit. I have used it for several scenarios so far and until now, never gave a thought to anything like RCA signal vs XLR. It just works for whatever I have had connected such as multiple sources, and then multiple amps. No problem with alignment of the knob positions. With a few minutes anything like that can be fixed easily anyway. They are a really good and heavy duty little switch and a real problem solver in some cases.

mccririck

Can you used this to have XLR output from a DAC going in and an RCA level signal coming out into an amp that doesnt have XLR inputs?

Dean Palmer

Can you use this to have XLR output from a DAC going in and an RCA level signal coming out into an amp that doesn't have XLR inputs?
I'd have to ask what DAC does not have RCA outs in the first place, and why anyone would use a XLR out when you are only going to end up with an RCA connection anyway, and no benefit from starting with the XLR.

mccririck

I'd have to ask what DAC does not have RCA outs in the first place, and why anyone would use a XLR out when you are only going to end up with an RCA connection anyway, and no benefit from starting with the XLR.
I guess you would get the benefit of XLR from the DAC to this box. The SMSL M300 SE has XLR outputs and only a 3.5mm output for RCA (meaning you need a 3.5mm to RCA cable or adaptor).

wsmith

Is this not more accurately called an adapter rather than a converter? It seems to be just a a switching adapter

I've long used XLR to RCA cable adapters for years and no conversion was required when connecting my Genelecs (w/ built-in volume controls) to a player's RCA line level outs.

I've always understood that the purpose of the XLR connector is long runs of balanced connections and that the pro level connector is heavy duty, durable and, importantly, can't be inadvertently yanked out due to its retaining lock. The Canare XLR cabling I use for recording is also quad-shielded against interference so that counts too.

XLR can enable a balanced connection, assuming balanced inputs/outputs, but I've always understood that this is really not a factor with Hi-Fi component interconnects and the short cable lengths used. But I don't consider myself an audiophile listener so maybe I'm mistaken on that.

I never thought the purpose of XLR cables was to conduct higher voltage (as a poster speculated) than is needed for any listening or any recording task because higher voltage than what RCA is capable of conducting is not required for those things.

XLR connectors are also used to supply power to certain devices. For example, pro level video camera-to-battery connections have used them. There too, it's the un-yankable connector that serves the professional camera operator's need.

Top Bottom