• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Henry Engineering Matchbox HD RCA/XLR Converter

Rate this converter:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 6.3%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Henry Engineering The Matchbox HD unbalanced to/from balanced active converter. It was kindly drop shipped to me by a member and costs US $250.
Henry Engineering The Matchbox HD RCA to XLR Balanced Converter Measurement.jpg

While stamped steel, the box is heavy and sturdy which fits the purpose. Trims are provided to adjust levels and internally there is a high-gain mode. Nice to see power supply built-in although the cord is darn thick and heavy for little power this box needs:
Henry Engineering The Matchbox HD RCA to XLR Balanced Converter bach side Measurement.jpg

For testing I focused on RCA to XLR since many want to hook up amplifiers with unbalanced out to an amplifier with only balanced input.

EDIT: added the reverse conversion measurements as well.

The Matchbox HD Performance Measurement
I hooked up RCA out at 0.83 volts to get nominal 4 volts out of XLR connection:
The Matchbox HD RCA to XLR Balanced Converter Measurement.png

Performance is really good in one channel but not as much in the other. That one shows more power supply interference which can sometimes be a grounding issue. But no matter what I tried, I could not impact it a bit. This may be in all units or something specific to this sample. Still, at SINAD of 97 dB it beats the company spec and clears 16 bit hurdle. Noise performance is very good:
The Matchbox HD RCA to XLR Balanced Converter SNR Measurement.png

Frequency response is excellent:
The Matchbox HD RCA to XLR Balanced Converter frequency response Measurement.png

Crosstalk could be better:
The Matchbox HD RCA to XLR Balanced Converter Crosstalk Measurement.png

IMD distortion is very good in the good channel:
The Matchbox HD RCA to XLR Balanced Converter IMD Measurement.png

As is THD vs level:
The Matchbox HD RCA to XLR Balanced Converter THD vs Measured Level Measurement.png

Wideband response shows rising distortion at highs:
The Matchbox HD RCA to XLR Balanced Converter THD vs frequency Measurement.png

EDIT: Matchbox HD XLR to RCA Measurements
I was asked to measure balanced to unbalanced. I would personally use a simple adapter/cable unless you need adjustable levels. But here it is anyway:
The Matchbox HD XLR to RCA Balanced to unbalanced Converter Measurement.png

As with balanced, I could not get rid of power supply noise but distortion is incredibly low here at -120 dB. So the only penalty is noise:
The Matchbox HD XLR to RCA Balanced to unbalanced Converter SNR Measurement.png

Which is not bad at all. Frequency response is even flatter:
The Matchbox HD XLR to RCA Balanced to unbalanced Converter frequency response Measurement.png

Distortion is the same in both channels which again is superior to the reverse conversion:
The Matchbox HD XLR to RCA Balanced to unbalanced Converter THD vs frequency Measurement.png

So all in all, very good performance in this direction.

EDIT2: The Matchbox HD Converter Teardown
As requested, here is a look at what is inside:
The Matchbox HD RCA to XLR Balanced Converter teardown inside PCB.jpg

I suspect the increased mains noise in the RCA to XLR is due to latter being right next to the linear power supply and its cord.

Otherwise, this seems like a very clean lay out with due attention to safety given that cut out isolation of high voltage vs low although the output XLRs should have been on the other side of the moat.

Conclusions
Buffered converters avoid many of the issues of passive devices and we have an example of that here. While one channel is weaker overall performance is still very good, some of the best we have measured.

I am going to recommend Henry Engineering The Matchbox HD. A bit expensive but flexible with good performance.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks !
I didn't know that brand.

THD vs frequency is where the difference will be most visible with passive devices using transformers, I suppose.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Could you also measure THD vs frequency
That is there already. For Multitone, I don't have a reference for it so didn't try to run it.

Oh and here are the Specifications:

Technical Specifications
  • IHF Input/Output Levels-20 to 0 dBv
  • PRO Input/Output Levels 0 to +8 dBm, +26 dB max
  • IHF Input Impedance10k ohms; HI GAIN 5k ohms
  • PRO Input Impedance 20k ohms
  • IHF Output Load2k ohms or higher, unbalanced
  • PRO Output Load600 ohms or higher, balanced
  • IHF to PRO Gain +6to +20 dB; HI GAIN add 6 dB
  • PRO to IHF Gain-6 to infinity (off)
  • Number of Channels4: 2 IHF to PRO and 2 PRO to IHF
  • Frequency Response DC to 20kHz, ±0.25 dB
  • Distortion< .01% IM/THD
  • Noise -100 dB ref. +4 dBu, bal.
    -95 dB ref. -10 dBv, unbal.
  • Power Requirements 115/230VAC, 50/60Hz, 3 W
  • MountingTable top,
    optional rack mount shelf,
    optional wall/cabinet mounting brackets
  • Headroom22 dB (bal.); 30 dB (unbal.)
  • Dynamic Range122 dB (bal.), 125 dB (unbal.)
  • ApprovalCity of Los Angeles Elect. Test Lab
  • Physical Size 5.7"w X 1.7"h X 6.0"d, 3lbs
  • Construction Steel enclosure

Last edited by a moderator:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review Amir. I wonder how this compares to the Radial J+4.
The positive with Radial is that they publish measurement graphs.

Here, from Radial J+4 web page, the THD vs frequency plot:
j4-graph-distortion-vs-freq.jpg

They don't specify the level. From the THD specs they publish, I suppose it's for 10dBu output (2.45V)

Last edited:

Randyman...

Also - J+4 has the galvanic isolation in its corner.

I have 3x J+4's and the MatchBox (the 4-channel RCA > XLR version - had to replace the voltage regulator in it once). The MatchBox did not help with a ground loop on the RCA side (assuming since the MatchBox is a grounded unit itself, and the DirecTV feeds tying many rooms' grounds together - always a PITA). The J+4 is quiet as a mouse in the same application (uses an ungrounded wall-wart, plus an available pin-1 ground lift on the XLR outs).

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a DSP system with Audiolense and my high frequency chain is PC>minidsp UDIO-8>NAD C510> NADC356 and its connected from RCA to RCA. The NADC356 doesn't have XLR input but the NAD DAC has XLR output so would this subsitiute as an XLR input for the NAD power amp providing 4 volts in, into the NAD and reduce the hiss that my compression driver experiences? Or is the above test not enough to understand if it can help with XLR to RCA?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I have a DSP system with Audiolense and my high frequency chain is PC>minidsp UDIO-8>NAD C510> NADC356 and its connected from RCA to RCA. The NADC356 doesn't have XLR input but the NAD DAC has XLR output so would this subsitiute as an XLR input for the NAD power amp providing 4 volts in, into the NAD and reduce the hiss that my compression driver experiences? Or is the above test not enough to understand if it can help with XLR to RCA?
Changing the line level wiring loom in the way you suggest probably won't have any benefit for hiss. That's more likely to be a power amplifier artefact.

3125b

Major Contributor
Is there another measurement of just an XLR to RCA cable?
That would just be an unbalanced connection, not much point to that.

This performs alright, but at 250$ most people would be better served with a balanced DAC with everything going digital anyway.

The most popular device of this kind seems to be the Behringer HD-400, I‘d be really interested to see some measurements for that.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Changing the line level wiring loom in the way you suggest probably won't have any benefit for hiss. That's more likely to be a power amplifier artefact.
Great thanks, then I will leave it RCA to RCA as it seems its the best option as opposed to many of these converters which won't really improve the hiss anyway.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How does this compare to something like the Schiit Freya S or a cable?

There’s 13 dB of gain on this compared to 6 dB on the Schiit and I guess -6 dB with a cable?

Most RCA unbalanced outs do best with higher voltages in SINAD, and we have amps with high gain and high SINAD, so doesn’t the gain works against you?

That is, simple cable in AHB2 high gain vs this box with AHB2 in low gain because you can output higher voltages…

Randyman...

How does this compare to something like the Schiit Freya S or a cable?

There’s 13 dB of gain on this compared to 6 dB on the Schiit and I guess -6 dB with a cable?

Most RCA unbalanced outs do best with higher voltages in SINAD, and we have amps with high gain and high SINAD, so doesn’t the gain works against you?

That is, simple cable in AHB2 high gain vs this box with AHB2 in low gain because you can output higher voltages…
Not familiar with the Benchmark amp, but If you can level-match at the input side (to match the output level), and you can run unbalanced w/o induced noise, then I don't see a need for this (will likely increase noise). In my case, my active balanced speakers need much more level than an unbalanced RCA (to XLR) from a Denon AVR can deliver.

Also - the output level is adjustable on the Matchbox (assuming it is an actual active gain control, not a simple attenuator). Somewhat curious what the S/N effects are at the extremes...

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Voted not terrible for the huge performance difference between left and right, given the price. Not sure if it is broken or by design. Probably the latter. Also do not like fixed power chord.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Voted not terrible for the huge performance difference between left and right, given the price. Not sure if it is broken or by design. Probably the latter. Also do not like fixed power chord.

You don't like a fixed power cable? Why on earth not?

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Just don't like them. Should I?

Yes.

A continuous cable from the wall point to the power switch and primary is a whole lot better than an unnecessary termination to a socket, then a plug, then onwards.

Resistance, poor/intermittent contact, losses, heat etc, not to mention a whole lot of wasted cost and rear panel real estate making allowance for a silly IEC 3/2 pin or maybe and equally useless figure 8 socket. Fine on camera battery chargers, kettles or computer/monitors, but not HiFi, where the earth connection is often vital.

It's audiophool stuff.

Top Bottom