• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Henry Engineering Matchbox HD RCA/XLR Converter

Rate this converter:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 9.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 6.3%

• Total voters

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They look really good. A great option. :)

I'm trying to remember the locking IECs from several years back. Even some that had a foldover/spring latch around the cable like a mousetrap arm IIRC. There are also the 'deep' chassis mount males used on some PC gear (NAS/Servers etc)- they are excellent, although you really need to have strong fingers to pull them out.
When I sold Meridian products back in the 1980s, I remember Meridian fitting those, and calling them Rebecca Clips. When asked why the name, I was told that Bob Stuart's young daughter would pull out the mains cables from the back of his 'speakers so those clips stopped her. I've called them Rebecca Clips ever since.

S.

ErVikingo

Interesting timing of this review as I have been pondering how to “convert” the Serr o Controller on my Infinity’s to XLR.

My pre and amps all have XLR and my run from Pre to Servo is quite long

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
When I sold Meridian products back in the 1980s, I remember Meridian fitting those, and calling them Rebecca Clips. When asked why the name, I was told that Bob Stuart's young daughter would pull out the mains cables from the back of his 'speakers so those clips stopped her. I've called them Rebecca Clips ever since.

So glad someone else remembers them. I knew I wasn't going crazy- they were a great idea.

:)

Bring back Rebecca clips I say.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
By a simple cable, if you mean an XLR to RCA (or vice-versa) cable, the signal still remains unbalanced (so none of the advantages for noise rejection of an XLR cable if you need that - e.g. long distance runs) and at the lower decibel level (eg, XLR is +6 dB hotter than RCA).

I've used the Matchbox previously and it works very well.

There's another option that is a bit less expensive than the Matchbox from Angry Audio. I've not tried Angry's offering so don't know how it compares to the Henry one.

Very clear and, now, very obvious! Thank you

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Nice review. For any SE-balanced (or vice-versa) converter like this, active or passive, common mode rejection would be nice to see.

manisandher

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but this is an 'old' device. I've had mine for about 15 years or so.

Mani.

For that amount of money I would just get a new device that outputs a balanced signal if I felt I really needed that. Something that does this job should be like $50 max imo. I could see a venue using it as a DI box for artists who just have line out to the PA, but having to plug it in to the wall would be inconvenient in that case.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Nice review. For any SE-balanced (or vice-versa) converter like this, active or passive, common mode rejection would be nice to see.
I have run AP's CMRR test in the past but can't make sense out of them/defend them. I forget the oddities I was seeing. I think it was the loopback in AP itself that was showing results that didn't make sense.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have run AP's CMRR test in the past but can't make sense out of them/defend them. I forget the oddities I was seeing. I think it was the loopback in AP itself that was showing results that didn't make sense.
Bummer. AP say anything about it? Not that you need anything else on your plate, but for converters like this CMRR seems like a key thing to measure.

I see oddities every time I look in a mirror lately.

Morpheus

Forum Donor
Unless little Rebbeca, out of frustration pulls really hard on that damn IEC that is no longer disconnecting as they usually did, and dad Stuart finds her pancacked under those big heavy active Meridian monitors of yore...Sorry, in a Grinchy mood. ;)
So glad someone else remembers them. I knew I wasn't going crazy- they were a great idea.

:)

Bring back Rebecca clips I say.

IamJF

These measurements show perfectly why I prefere switched power supplies :p

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A continuous cable from the wall point to the power switch and primary is a whole lot better than an unnecessary termination to a socket, then a plug, then onwards.
++
Nonsense .... god forbid that you will ever need live support. All separate cables. What is good enough for medical is good enough for audio, TV, Computer Monitors, PCs etc..
++
IEC c5/c4 works fine on Millions of devices and you can Chose the right length and wall plug type for your application and region.
++
The only reason they don't hardwire is saving money.
=
202312_FermezLeClamp.jpg

If any of these become a MacGyver solution to the above ACPL cordage pros/cons, let me know, I can send you some... I'll even throw in a few screws!;)
Although. I am not certain if the DoD and military-hardware contractors would approve these as a solution.

Attachments

• 202312_FermezLeClamp.jpg
    202312_FermezLeClamp.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 16

massimodec

I have the problem to connect an old-but-top-level professional radio broadcast turntable, which outs in XLR only, to a very-good-but-consumer preamp only in RCA.
I was thinking of a MC phono preamp which could receive XLR and have an RCA line out...
There are any ?
This Matchbox seems to do that... or not ?
Thank you and Merry Xmas !

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
I have the problem to connect an old-but-top-level professional radio broadcast turntable, which outs in XLR only, to a very-good-but-consumer preamp only in RCA.
I was thinking of a MC phono preamp which could receive XLR and have an RCA line out...
There are any ?
Thank you and Merry Xmas !
Merry Christmas!

Skoll

There are some others such as Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL more expensive

Edit correct punctuation

***2nd edit the MF would need a modified cable sorry

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
^^^^ edited^^^^
I should have pointed out in my first reply using a converter box messes up the loading your MC expects as well as the impedance the phonostage would normally see. Unintended consequences

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect the increased mains noise in the RCA to XLR is due to latter being right next to the linear power supply and its cord.
They put the live AC track to the fuse right by the signal path, too. Sloppy layout.

massimodec

Thank you all !
By the way, is the Gustard P26 analog or digital amplifier ?
With vinyls I would like to preserve the analog "image"...
Thx

Top Bottom