• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Salon 2 - $15 k 'last dance' sale

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Samsung acquired Harman in 2017
Mistook your comment. Lots of brands owned by conglomerates, not generally a great thing. So far doesn't seem they've interfered with Harman particularly.....

Reactions: MKR

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it really look like Revel is doing it's best to ship affordable speakers to a wide audience across the globe?

I could guess that bean counters at Samsung might think that selling rather expensive SOTA speakers to ever dwindling audience of audiophiles might not be a winning hand.

On the other hand, the flagship series is a statement in itself and worth it even if it doesn't make that much money (if any).

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it really look like Revel is doing it's best to ship affordable speakers to a wide audience across the globe?

I could guess that bean counters at Samsung might think that selling rather expensive SOTA speakers to ever dwindling audience of audiophiles might not be a winning hand.

On the other hand, the flagship series is a statement in itself and worth it even if it doesn't make that much money (if any).

MKR

Major Contributor
Oh, I'd use subs with either of those....pretty specific comments, nice to see measurements for comparison to your subjective experience. Were the comparisons at same time with quick switching or just sighted and separate times etc?
Have you heard the Salon 2 before? No subs needed unless you are using for home theater in which case you may want extra output for LFE

MKR

Major Contributor
Mistook your comment. Lots of brands owned by conglomerates, not generally a great thing. So far doesn't seem they've interfered with Harman particularly.....
I would say the converse in fact ... Based upon the decisions and product offerings from Revel and JBL past 2-3 years, I would say it is highly likely the Samsung bean counters have got their fingers in the cookie jar

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Another sale?
Screenshot_20240123_020502_Gallery.jpg

youngho

Who cares. It’s still a sample size of one. Let a personal impression be just that. No need for holding that a certain number of extra steps (past a point of reason) will make broad applicability of said impression more robust. Anecdotes can be plenty useful as long as they’re heeded as anecdotes. OP mentioned curiosity of members hearing difference between the models, not of seeing difference on charts. ;)
Here's another anecdote about someone who presumably did do blinded comparisons between the F228Be and Salon 2: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nd-speaker-reviews.51091/page-26#post-1853073

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have you heard the Salon 2 before? No subs needed unless you are using for home theater in which case you may want extra output for LFE
@MKR I followed your speaker search thread journey with interest. OP, I don't put much weight into subjective reviews, but MKR has auditioned a lot of high end speakers. MKR, did you ever make a choice?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will Samsung discontinue Revel's high end line and replace them with sound bars and a free 6 month Roon trial? :)
Wondering how long they will support discontinued legacy speakers? That's the 15K question.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A sad tale. There's always KEF.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say the converse in fact ... Based upon the decisions and product offerings from Revel and JBL past 2-3 years, I would say it is highly likely the Samsung bean counters have got their fingers in the cookie jar
Audiophile speakers apparently don't fit with Samsung's mass market strategy. Perhaps they will sell Revel, JBL or both. I'm not sure what you mean by "the decisions and product offerings". Perhaps you can elaborate.

Reactions: MKR

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see a Revel soundbar. :cool:
The old Revel M8, M10 were pretty reasonable for the soundbar size. With the new DSP experience they have with the JBLs, it could be interesting if
You start adding wireless surrounds, etc.

The Meyer Sound MM10XP shows you can do a lot of impressive stuff with a small driver.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The old Revel M8, M10 were pretty reasonable for the soundbar size.
Sure but they ain't soundbars, as commonly defined. They are speakers.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure but they ain't soundbars, as commonly defined. They are speakers.
Agree. What I was trying to imply is that they could take those designs and use them in a soundbar with HDMI ARC/CEC/Dolby decoding.

Top Bottom