• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Salon 2 - $15 k 'last dance' sale

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is this proven with measurements? Kef R or Reference series has narrower soundstage than performa3 or performaBe?
Look at dispersion characteristics in the measurements. That will give you some idea

Lsc

Anyone seen that the Revel Salon 2 is marked down to $15 k online (down from $25 k).

I bought the F328 Be's, but I've honestly been thinking about selling them 2nd hand and picking up the Salon 2s at that price point. I don't know if I'd be able to hear much difference, but has me thinking hard.

Thoughts from the members?
I’d just keep the F328Be since you already went down that road. Since I bought the salons used 2 years ago, I’m planning on just staying on this road . I’m guessing it’s too close to call to go thru the hassle.

tw 2022

I’d just keep the F328Be since you already went down that road. Since I bought the salons used 2 years ago, I’m planning on just staying on this road . I’m guessing it’s too close to call to go thru the hassle.
Obsessing over upgrading upper level revels to other high(er) end revels or similar brands is kinda like trading in your Rolls because it came with crappy tires....I'm with ya...

Reactions: Lsc

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with ascend, in my opinion, is that they don't have one big, aspirational, high end speaker. They should design a big boy two channel speaker with 8" woofers or even bigger.

Totally unnecessary from an objective standpoint but I think they would sell.

They currently have over 10 models that were designed with the aid of their NFS, including bookshelves, towers, and dedicated centers.

rynberg

Forum Donor
Is this proven with measurements? Kef R or Reference series has narrower soundstage than performa3 or performaBe?
Yes, the Revel Performa3 speakers have significantly wider radiation than the KEF R-series. It was also very audible in my auditioning of them.

mj30250

The problem with ascend, in my opinion, is that they don't have one big, aspirational, high end speaker. They should design a big boy two channel speaker with 8" woofers or even bigger.

Large form factor cabinets w/ big bass drivers has never been their approach. I do have their flagship ELX ribbon towers and get measurable and audible extension down to below 25Hz in-room, so I imagine that they'd be more than satisfactory for most music users in moderately-sized spaces. I generally keep the subs on anyway to knock down room modes and gain headroom for HT use. Sure, I'd probably be the first in line for a big honking tower with 12" woofers that maintains the midrange and treble performance that the ELXs have, mainly because....why not? But I don't expect anything like that to materialize. The subs do plenty to annoy the wife upstairs when necessary.

rynberg

Forum Donor

I don't think that's THE problem, Ascend actually appears to have good sales for being an internet-only company with almost zero marketing. The new ELX towers are $5,300 and have very expensive 6" woofers. I don't think Dave is interested in building and selling a $15k speaker.

tw 2022

I don't think that's THE problem, Ascend actually appears to have good sales for being an internet-only company with almost zero marketing. The new ELX towers are $5,300 and have very expensive 6" woofers. I don't think Dave is interested in building and selling a $15k speaker.
He's a " value" guy, imo.... He doesn't seem to worry about his market share....

Lsc

I think you're overreacting a tad, but I do think Revel may be winding down. I don't have much optimism for B&W either. We've discussed after-sale support before, and I would personally avoid the brand. If I had a pair of contemporary Revels I loved, I would try to track down some OEM tweeters just in case.

Revel has made very very good speakers but they never created a distinguishing product. Kind of like Lexus. B&W really captured the imagination of a lot of consumers with their industrial design, Revel has always been very plain in comparison.

Additionally, if you think about all the amazing speakers JBL/Harman/Revel have produced, how many Revels come to mind? JBL has all those amazing consoles, the Everest, the L100 century, innumerable professional speakers still coveted.
The Revel Salon2 is probably the most well known speaker coming out of Harman’s recent history.

But I wholeheartedly agree that they punted on building the brand. If Revel goes away…it’s no skin off my back. I’m just a consumer and the salon2/voice2 have me in a place where I don’t even look at other speakers anymore. When these break, I’ll get a soundbar for my family room and the wife will be happy to have her room back.

Reactions: 617

MKR

Major Contributor
The Revel Salon2 is probably the most well known speaker coming out of Harman’s recent history.

But I wholeheartedly agree that they punted on building the brand. If Revel goes away…it’s no skin off my back. I’m just a consumer and the salon2/voice2 have me in a place where I don’t even look at other speakers anymore. When these break, I’ll get a soundbar for my family room and the wife will be happy to have her room back.
You are going to go from the Salon2/Voice2 to a soundbar? Really? Talk about a downgrade

Lsc

You are going to go from the Salon2/Voice2 to a soundbar? Really? Talk about a downgrade
Yes hopefully in about 10 years where my hearing won’t notice a difference. The salon2/voice2 need to be reliable. Well I have about 3 years warranty left on the voice2.

Even now I can go to the basement in the game/media room with my old Revel Concerta system w a JL F113 and can get 90%+ of my main system. As they say the room is 1/2 the sound and in this case a single F113 is nearly as good a dual Gothams in a much smaller enclosed room.

The point here in this thread is that high end audio is somewhat overrated. Just need to get out of the upgraditis frame of mind.

MKR

Major Contributor
Yes hopefully in about 10 years where my hearing won’t notice a difference. The salon2/voice2 need to be reliable. Well I have about 3 years warranty left on the voice2.

Even now I can go to the basement in the game/media room with my old Revel Concerta system w a JL F113 and can get 90%+ of my main system. As they say the room is 1/2 the sound and in this case a single F113 is nearly as good a dual Gothams in a much smaller enclosed room.

The point here in this thread is that high end audio is somewhat overrated. Just need to get out of the upgraditis frame of mind.
Ah, now I get it ... I had forgotten you had a second system. I had thought you meant you were going from Salon2 to only a soundbar! What a travesty that would be :p

As to high end audio being overrated, well, depends on what you mean by that. If you are referring to the uber expensive nonsense and snake oil, absolutely. If on the other hand by high end you are referring to a system that allows you to experience the magic of a faithful reproduction of a musical recording or movie, I fully disagree. But yes, the constant need to upgrade is a rather different issue and I would say is a psychosis related to never being satisfied with anything (FOMO) and/or making it about the gear, rather than the point of the gear to begin with.

Lsc

Ah, now I get it ... I had forgotten you had a second system. I had thought you meant you were going from Salon2 to only a soundbar! What a travesty that would be :p

As to high end audio being overrated, well, depends on what you mean by that. If you are referring to the uber expensive nonsense and snake oil, absolutely. If on the other hand by high end you are referring to a system that allows you to experience the magic of a faithful reproduction of a musical recording or movie, I fully disagree. But yes, the constant need to upgrade is a rather different issue and I would say is a psychosis related to never being satisfied with anything (FOMO) and/or making it about the gear, rather than the point of the gear to begin with.
Yes that would be terrible if I can’t listen to music at realistic volumes since this is a daily activity for me.

The cost to get a few % better is what I’m referring to when I say it’s overrated. But everyone has their own target and budget. Did you ever get those active speakers?

benanders

This thread has got me thinking that the already small market for expensive passive speakers is shrinking. My hunch is the threshold for expensive is relatively low being around $1k smaller stand mounts and $2k for floor standing and large stand mounts. The fancy stereo systems we crave have been replaced by lifestyle powered speakers and sound bars.

Makes me wonder in turn - could it be that there are now just a greater number of music playback fans than before? Folks with soundbars under their flatscreens are more likely the folks who relied on the tube-tv’s built-in speakers before?

Is it that the glut of imposing stereo setup options before was more companies grappling for buyers who didn’t really want that size (literally and figuratively) of a commitment but also didn’t have today’s abundance of “smarter” options to choose from?
If attrition of imposing-$tereo-fandom is a real thing and not just within the paradigm of diminishing returns, this wouldn’t seem to be good news for Revel or similar brands.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Makes me wonder in turn - could it be that there are now just a greater number of music playback fans than before? Folks with soundbars under their flatscreens are more likely the folks who relied on the tube-tv’s built-in speakers before?

Is it that the glut of imposing stereo setup options before was more companies grappling for buyers who didn’t really want that size (literally and figuratively) of a commitment but also didn’t have today’s abundance of “smarter” options to choose from?
If attrition of imposing-$tereo-fandom is a real thing and not just within the paradigm of diminishing returns, this wouldn’t seem to be good news for Revel or similar brands.
Everybody listens to music. There are just so many ways. How many people each day do you see with EarPods not talking in a telephone conversation. Nearly every car has a radio, and some of them are decent. There is a lot of competition for consumer dollars these days from mobile phones and computers which did not exist not that long ago. Big flat screen TV's and Netflix are relatively new developments. Maybe the vinyl lovers are just trying to jump into a time machine to the world before CD's, PC's and all things digital.

tktran303

Forum Donor
The manufacturers move where market goes.

I recall a video or talk where Sean Olive commented that the home audio business is about 10% of Harman’s business. Some astute readers may be able to give a link; when I recall or find it, I will reference it.

A large part of Harman is business to business- automotive audio. And headphones. Headphones trounces home audio in terms of revenue.

If you’re into 2 channel stereo, and you’re here, you’re part of a niche.

Samsung bought Harman for their audio-in-auto business. Not for JBL nor their extensive professional (working in audio) subsidiaries.

A spinorama/Klippel NFS won’t tell you how the Samsung HW-Q990C/D sounds, with it's 7 channels in a 5 ft wide soundbar, and 2 channels in each of its wireless rears, in combination with wireless subwoofer. A complete 11.1.4 setup with Blutooth, Airplay 2 & Atmos that sounds better than it has any right to (like the recent Sonos Five)

But your spouse and kids will love it, and so will your wallet.

For 2 channel music, they are not as good as a 2 channel system. But for everything (and everyone) else, they are excellent.

Last edited:

RobL

I recall a video or talk where Sean Olive commented that the home audio business is about 10% of Harman’s business. Some astute readers may be able to give a link; when I recall or find it, I will reference it.

A large part of Harman is business to business- automotive audio. And headphones. Headphones trounces home audio in terms of revenue.

Samsung bought Harman for their audio-in-auto business. Not for JBL nor their extensive professional (working in audio) subsidiaries.

A spinorama/Klippel NFS won’t tell you how the Samsung HW-Q990C/D sounds, with it's 7 channels in a 5 ft wide soundbar, and 2 channels in each of its wireless rears, in combination with wireless subwoofer. A complete 11.1.4 setup with Blutooth, Airplay 2 & Atmos that sounds better than it has any right to (like the recent Sonos Five)

For 2 channel music, they are not as good as a 2 channel system. But for everything (and everyone) else, they are excellent.
I just bought a Q990C (discounted now because D is coming) as my wife wanted the tv room decluttered. It’s actually quite impressive, wasn’t expecting that! :)

Lsc

Well I can see now why Samsung wants to get rid of Revel. They have millions of soundbars to sell and will make 100x more a year . Yay for us!

Top Bottom