• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Salon 2 - $15 k 'last dance' sale

Tjf120

Anyone seen that the Revel Salon 2 is marked down to $15 k online (down from $25 k).

I bought the F328 Be's, but I've honestly been thinking about selling them 2nd hand and picking up the Salon 2s at that price point. I don't know if I'd be able to hear much difference, but has me thinking hard.

Thoughts from the members?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You will never be satisfied with what you have? :D
I would not trade my F328Be 91db sensitivity for the Salon 2. While the F328Be low freq fades quicker, I prefer the Be tweeter FR.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why, are the 328BEs falling short? From comments I've seen they're damn close....

MKR

Major Contributor
I have spent quite a bit of time with both the Salon 2 and 328Be … I would take the Salon 2 every time, no contest for my ears. And at that price, it is a no brainer. BUT, there is a risk of long term support from Revel with a discontinued loudspeaker, especially replacement drivers. If this does not concern you, I would say go for it! Just make sure you have the power to bring the best out of those Salon 2s, they like their juice (and are a much tougher load than the 328Be, really the only negative to the Salon 2s). A pair of the new gen high power Class Ds mono blocks oughta do it (Hypex, Purifi, etc)

With above said, before dropping that kind of cash, I highly recommend you find a way to audition the Salon 2 and make a more educated decision.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to my ears

Did you audition in home in the same room etc? What's the difference to your ears?

ps I take it no measurements made from the ears comment? Or?

Last edited:
Reactions: MKR

MKR

Major Contributor
Same room, same upstream equipment. Bass extension for one, Salon 2 easily in this regard. Soundstage larger and more holographic, midrange and treble more natural. Treble on the 328 flatter after around 8KHz, but was a little hot for me. Midrange thinner, not as full with 328. But of course I really think it comes down to personal preference. One practical point is I would absolutely want subs with the 328, you definitely not need subs with the Salon.

The bass and soundstage of the Salon is intoxicating :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Same room, same upstream equipment. Bass extension for one, Salon 2 easily in this regard. Soundstage larger and more holographic, midrange and treble more natural. Treble on the 328 flatter after around 8KHz, but was a little hot for me. Midrange thinner, not as full with 328. But of course I really think it comes down to personal preference. One practical point is I would absolutely want subs with the 328, you definitely not need subs with the Salon.

The bass and soundstage of the Salon is intoxicating :)
Oh, I'd use subs with either of those....pretty specific comments, nice to see measurements for comparison to your subjective experience. Were the comparisons at same time with quick switching or just sighted and separate times etc?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is Kal's experience on blind testing Salon II against F228Be (and a third unidentified speaker) at Harman.

MKR

Major Contributor
Oh, I'd use subs with either of those....pretty specific comments, nice to see measurements for comparison to your subjective experience. Were the comparisons at same time with quick switching or just sighted and separate times etc?
Same time, quick switch

benanders

Level matched, blind?
Who cares. It’s still a sample size of one. Let a personal impression be just that. No need for holding that a certain number of extra steps (past a point of reason) will make broad applicability of said impression more robust. Anecdotes can be plenty useful as long as they’re heeded as anecdotes. OP mentioned curiosity of members hearing difference between the models, not of seeing difference on charts. ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Who cares. It’s still a sample size of one. Let a personal impression be just that. No need for holding that a certain number of extra steps (past a point of reason) will make broad applicability of said impression more robust. Anecdotes can be plenty useful as long as they’re heeded as anecdotes. OP mentioned curiosity of members hearing difference between the models, not of seeing difference on charts. ;)
More curious how deep you dove to make the decision and how the comments are derived. I really don't care about most subjective experiences, as long as they're generally positive....specific breakdowns,, meh. Thanks.

Beave

Major Contributor
So Revel is now not only closing out the Ultima2 series but also the Performa3 series (so says a post by a dealer on another forum), with no replacement series announced for either one.

That would leave the Concertas series and the PerformaBe series.

Concerning?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So Revel is now not only closing out the Ultima2 series but also the Performa3 series (so says a post by a dealer on another forum), with no replacement series announced for either one.

That would leave the Concertas series and the PerformaBe series.

Concerning?
Or indicative of a change to all the series? Could be just marketing considering current owner....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There was a rumor for a time they were working on a Salon 3, heard zilch on that for months now. I fear Revel is going the way of the dodo with their new ownership.
Is there a lot of need let alone demand to go further, tho?

Top Bottom