• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL AL200 Intergrated Amplifier

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I want an AIO for desktop to drive easy speakers and a headphone HD-560, seems like this could be a really good one, I dont need sub.
Has anyone tested this as desktop amp only? Or better the loxje a30 perhaps?

Toku

Major Contributor
I have a question for those who are using AL200.
It has been reported that when listening to music or Youtube with USB input, pop noise occurs after starting and stopping playback.
Do you have similar symptoms with your AL200?

gabmartini

It has been reported that when listening to music or Youtube with USB input, pop noise occurs after starting and stopping playback.
Where did you see that? I have been looking for reviews for this amp for a couple of days

josh6113

I own 2 of these intergrated Amps and don't have this problem.

Toku

Major Contributor
I own 2 of these intergrated Amps and don't have this problem.
Thanks for the information!
The issue has been resolved. The cause was not the AL200, but the settings of the connected PC's audio player.
AL200 is innocent.

I was also interested in AL200 and was considering purchasing it for testing.
After this, the DL200 DAC of the same series will be released, so I'm more concerned.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It was information from user reports in my country.
After much research, I found no problems with the AL200.
So I guess for a desktop setup this little integrated amp seems more than capable then.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Would be great to have this measured by Amir, seems like a great first amp for many

Toku

Major Contributor
So I guess for a desktop setup this little integrated amp seems more than capable then.
I like to evaluate and test various products, and I predict that the AL200 will become popular, so I think I should buy it myself.
The amplifier part is the same as the current A300, so I would like to check it in detail as a product integrated with the DAC.

longma

The Sabaj 30a is almost 2X the price of AL200. Is the extra money worth the upgrade?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I think that a long standing argument that ends up being meaningless...

I have the m300 w/ the CS and the C100 which has the AKM and a smattering of ESS... they should largely be transparent, barring some issues like the ESS hump thing.

I quite like the A30a but its too much money for me but I realise you are getting a lot for your money.

The A30a introduces a lot of tech that does not exist at the sub $250 level so you have to work out if those tech advances work for you... eg. AFAIK the A30a is a true 'digital' amp in that there are no dacs... it converts pcm to pwm. So its really like a cut price VMV thing.

Toslink

Forum Donor
I have a family member who uses a 20-year-old 2-channel stereo receiver powering a set of Sonance Mariner outdoor speakers on a deck. The amp is on its last leg, so I recommended the AL200 as a replacement. I ordered it from Amazon for $233.99 and it arrived last Friday. I've been running it through its paces with Bluetooth and a Sonos Port playing Tidal 16-bit sources using the Port's coaxial digital output.

I have to say that the unit seems really well-built. Aside from the small display, which can be a bit challenging to understand in the deeper menu options, it's a well-executed design. The chassis machining is excellent, the volume knob feels very solid and is a pleasure to use, the unit has physical heft, and the sound is uniformly excellent. The Bluetooth 5.0 has effectively zero lag with an iPhone 12 Pro as the source (I haven't tested it with other BT sources). The power seems to meet spec and using speakers of standard efficiency, I do not hear any hiss--even at high volumes.

Curiously, last week the listing on Amazon was not visible using their search engine. When I follow the link in my purchase history, the listing says the product is out-of-stock and there's no notice on when new inventory will become available. It's still available from S.M.S.L. directly, however. I liked the unit so much that I intend to purchase one as well. The optimistic view here is that the response to the AL200 was larger than S.M.S.L. planned and the initial inventory was exhausted.

I think the asking price and the overall performance and build quality suggest the AL200's value is extremely high. I know it's not exactly right for all systems (I wish it had music sense turn-on, and a volume control bypass on one or more inputs allowing for volume to reside in a streaming player), but if you need a small integrated amp with BT, it's worth a very close look. If Amir doesn't get one on the bench before I buy one, I'll send the one I buy for myself his direction and we'll have the opportunity to see how she tests.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
The Sabaj 30a is almost 2X the price of AL200. Is the extra money worth the upgrade?
as always, depends on your setup. Sabaj a30a supposedly has more power if you want to play loud or if your speakers are not sensitive (like less than 85dB). also out of the Chinese manufacturers, Sabaj is said to be the best/most responsive customer service.

You won't likely hear a different though, if your speakers are not clipping or can't play loud enough

delta76

Major Contributor
Obviously they changed or improved the AL200 at SMSL , the first version used a CS43131 DAC chip and now the AL200 would be under ES9039Q2M chip, and they added a 3.5 jack in front !!!
that is the DL200, i believe it's more expensive

Top Bottom