• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL PL200 (CD Player)

Belgik

I have ordered one. Should arrive soon. I did noticed that the Shanling EC3 and ET3 set. However, the price is a bit too high comparing to this SMSL PL200. Also, I like the SMSL design. It looks more modern. The Shanling is too old school. I will share how it sounds like. I will also compare the following ones:
1. SMSL PL200 (CD)
2. SONY D-303 (CD)
3. SONY D-250 (CD)
4. SMSL M400+SP400 (Macbook Pro + wav file)
5. SMSL M200+SP200 (Macbook Pro + wav file).

I already noticed huge difference between the M400 (4499) and M200 (4497). The M400 sounds a lot better. This is also one of the reasons I ordered the PL200 since it uses the same chip as the M400. I like the sound the M400 renders. So when I saw the PL200, I placed the order immediately.

To be updated.
This is my introductory "first" post, to remain on topic, I ordered one this morning...should arrive within a month. I'm crazy! I'm primitive! My entire setup is vintage Onkyo Integra (except for the B&W DM2a speakers) mixed with "inexpensive" non-vintage CD-7030 as sole compact disk player. I basically listen only to CD and DAB+ and, in terms of "Hi-Fi", I don't pay attention to "all the rest", which I often don't even understand...
Of late, I've been looking for a "more sophisticated" CD thingy, second-hand Cyrus, Onkyo, and new Marantz CD-60, my maximum price point.
Until I read about this ...er ... SMSL PL200 machine. And, undergoing chemo in day-hospital, I immediately bought one, if its the last thing I ever do. I want a top-loader. I hope to review it.

AdrianusG

I custom made a glass top lid for it, protected with 3D printed black outer and inner layer. It is very satisfying to see the CD spins while playing underneath it.

View attachment 338138
Cool, well done :)

but isn't it too heavy this way for the motor to spin it around, or doesn't this affect the sound quality in any way?, just curious.

Last edited:

Nutul

Does this play SACD and MQA CDs? I'd be very interested if it did.
Maybe read the very first post, and you'll rule out the first question.
Maybe read the very first line of the product specs, and you'll have the second one sorted out as well.
Long story short: SACD = NO
MQA CD = YES (sadly, it's a yes...:facepalm:)

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Initially I thought this some regular "hi-fi" CD player but this appears to be the hi-fi version of all those Victrola all-in-one machines. I get people want compact devices rather then a stack of components but the separated components are already super small. Since its all glued together, if something breaks, the whole thing is (probably) useless versus just swapping out the specific bad component.

Does a CD player need a top of the line DAC chip just to play when there is plenty of regular cheap DACs that can fully reproduce 16bit? There is also that fact if I'm going to use the "USB" part of it chances are that I'm not gonna use the "CD" part of it. Subjectively, I don't like how you insert CDs, it gives me cheap PS3 Super Slim vibes.

They should've sold a normal version of this as a standalone CD player instead of lumping other parts with it.

shanyechungu

Cool, well done :)

but isn't it too heavy this way for the motor to spin it around, or doesn't this affect the sound quality in any way?, just curious.
This crystal cover lid does not contact the spinning mechanism. There is a hole in the center so that the CD spindle can spin without touching it. No issue at all.

Diupen

My unit arrived last Friday. I have been listening to it for almost 3 days (on and off) and I couldn't stop. (You guys can imaging, I am listening to it as I am writing this post.) This is not just because how it sounds but also the way that I operate it, like my favorite toy. Sense of ritual is a very important aspect when playing with CDs nowadays.
View attachment 327977

Design:
First impression, the package and box are upgraded which look way better than the cheap one with the M400.

The size is a bit smaller than it looks in the pictures which is better. With this size, it looks more premium when placed on top of the SP400.

The mechanic keys feel exactly as my keyboard. It is so satisfying to hear the crisp click sound when you press the keys down. The tactile feel of mechanical keys is much better than the microswitches which most devices use. A bit loose which is expected. Imaging that how the keys on your keyboard feel when you place your finger on them and wiggle.

The disc pressure weight block is secured by magnetic force, not by gravity. With a metal shell and plastic holding the magnet inside, it is not heavy and feels cheap. When placed on top of the CD, while playing, you can tell it is not perfectly concentric and wobbles a bit. This bugs me. I tried to play CDs without placing it on and it worked fine. This is something that I wish they nailed it further before releasing the product. Maybe just a piece of solid metal without a magnet does the job? Not sure. Maybe they have tested this solution and for some reason they did not adopt it.

The opening space by the edge of the disc is a bit narrow. It can be a bit tricky to take the disc out if you have thick fingers.

As for the lid, it is a solid one-piece metal and feels premium. I do wish the lid could be somehow transparent or at least left a window on it so that we can see the spinning disc while playing. The diameter of the lid is 5.5inch. I even looked for a glass lid with this size on Amazon and found the the following one. It is $39 made in France which looks very premium. It will immediately turn this thing into a wok or a pan. Just kidding. Anyway, I hope they can release a transparent lid as an accessory and I will order it without a doubt.
View attachment 327978

Given that this thing is so beautiful, I can bear with those issues.
View attachment 327980

Functionality:
This thing can replace my M400 for my purposes. I connect M400 to my MBP and to serve my JBL 308P monitors. In terms of this function, it somewhat covers it and plus, it plays CDs. As for BT, I don't use this function at all. For the opt out, I am not sure if I will use this function since the best DAC I have is the M400 and they are using the same chip, so there is no point to do so.

I saw other folks wish it had other means of digital inputs, I totally agree. I have a PS4 and it is currently connected to my M400 via opt in. However, I have two separate setups, one is in my garage with the PS4 and the JBL monitors; the other is in my office room with a some PCDPs and headphones. Plus, I don't play video games anymore. So this is not an issue to me.

For obvious reasons, some of the CDs are not readable by my old PCDPs and this thing reads it without any issue.

I also saw other folks wish it had SACD function, I do agree. But I do not have any SACDs so this is not an issue to me either.

Firmware:
Two weird things:
1. It only uses 4 characters or less to show the status. For example, Play, CD, USB, BT. However, when you pause it, it shows "Paus" ... This is so funny.
2. When you keep clicking the NEXT button and when you reach the end of the list, a typical CD player will stay at the last song. This one returns to the first song.
3. The loudness is displayed as dB which is different from the 0-80 digital range in the M400.
View attachment 327979

Price:
I ordered it from China directly and shipped it oversea to the US. It was during the 11.11 time (similar to the Black Friday event in the US) and there was a discount around $100. So its definitely a good price to me. I paid similar for my M400 and this thing does more than it.

Sound quality:
I am very satisfied with the sound it renders. However, I do think I need more time to listen to it and run a systematic comparison between my other devices. This can be very time consuming which is beyond my capacity now. I will find a time for it and update my findings here. My first impression is it has less bass than the Sony D-303 thus sounds cooler and thinner than it. I use ATH-A1000 with D-303 and use HD6XX with PL200. Seems a perfect match.

I dear I'm Luca from I'm passionate like you of physical supports.

I recently bought this new player , but I've been noticing that it struggles a bit with reading some of my CDs. Even though it eventually reads them by the end of the day, it's still a bit frustrating. My previous player was a Sony Blu-ray player that I used as a transport, connected to an external DAC. Have you ever experienced anything similar?

Diupen

My little Boy.
photo_2024-04-10_18-58-15.jpg
photo_2024-04-10_18-58-19.jpg

Diupen

and nothing, I'm going to request a refund from amazon... I'm continuing to have some issue reading. I use to use a Blu-ray player as a transport and with it I didn't have any kinda of problem. On the other hand, By using the same CDs with pl200 I have to face some issue randomly, I'm not sure but I could blame the sort of "reg doll" that the disc do when it is spinning... I'm very sad, because even though I will receive back my money, I will remain without a player, I really loved so much this device... and now I'm lost... I can't decide for a new one model from different company

Top Bottom