• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 PRO - HDMI ARC DAC

khuntim

Im skeptical that the hdmi out of a TV will have much less jitter than the optical.

For now my D-6s handles the optical of my tv flawlessly even with the most senstive PLL.

The D6S looks like same specs as DO 100 Pro without HDMI?

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The D6S looks like same specs as DO 100 Pro without HDMI?
The 100 uses 2 dac 9039Q2. The 6 just one chip. The 6 already achieve perfect results with one chip.

Buuuut the 100 is pretty much the same price. So it is the right choice. Funny how those Chinese companies compete with themselves so hard lol

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can someone clarify…if I put apple tv box to hdmi in on tv. And this to another hdmi in slot in tv that has arc written in it……the sound of apple tv will come out of this do100? Is it so?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can someone clarify…if I put apple tv box to hdmi in on tv. And this to another hdmi in slot in tv that has arc written in it……the sound of apple tv will come out of this do100? Is it so?
As long as the Apple TV, TV, and DAC are setup correctly, yes.

hello_again

I just received my DO100 Pro today and it does not have the 4V/5V switch.
Does it send a volume controlled signal out to both the XLR and RCAs at the same time? Trying to see if the RCAs can be used as a sub out. The manual doesn't speak to this. Thx...

Riceboy

Does it send a volume controlled signal out to both the XLR and RCAs at the same time? Trying to see if the RCAs can be used as a sub out. The manual doesn't speak to this. Thx...
the DO100 non pro that i owned did output to both XLR and RCA at the same time, and i did use the RCA out as sub out to my SVS SB2000.
my guess is that the pro version will also do the same

hello_again

the DO100 non pro that i owned did output to both XLR and RCA at the same time, and i did use the RCA out as sub out to my SVS SB2000.
my guess is that the pro version will also do the same
That's a positive sign, been thinking the DO100 pro might be a good pairing for the upcoming v3 monos for a 2.1 flexible hifi movie system.

staticV3

Master Contributor
That's a positive sign, been thinking the DO100 pro might be a good pairing for the upcoming v3 monos for a 2.1 flexible hifi movie system.
No way to High-pass your main speakers and no way to apply room correction.

A WiiM Amp or WiiM Ultra fixes both of these issues.

The Me

I just tested it and can confirm that it does. Just keep in mind that the XLR output signal is much stronger than the RCA at a given volume.

hello_again

I just tested it and can confirm that it does. Just keep in mind that the XLR output signal is much stronger than the RCA at a given volume.
Appreciate the verification and the word of caution regarding the level matching between the outputs...

I am getting the DO100 Pro as an upgrade from the SU-1. I will only use the USB and optical inputs. I plan to use the RCA outputs and the XLR outputs simultaneously, with XLR -> RCA adaptors. I assume the XLR output will not be too loud because it's being converted to single ended?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I plan to use the RCA outputs and the XLR outputs simultaneously, with XLR -> RCA adaptors. I assume the XLR output will not be too loud because it's being converted to single ended?
An XLR Line out cannot easily/cleanly be converted to RCA.

No matter how you do it, a performance penalty is likely:

The smarter thing to do would be to use simple RCA splitter cables to connect multiple devices to the DAC's RCA Line out:
611v4Vu1fsL.jpg

The smarter thing to do would be to use simple RCA splitter cables to connect multiple devices to the DAC's RCA Line out:
View attachment 365770
Hmm, I didn't know that. I'm doing it now using TRS -> RCA adaptors with my DL200, and can't hear any issue with the sound. I also did this before with my Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (XLR -> RCA) and it seemed to work okay. Maybe the Topping is different?

View attachment 365770
I thought balanced was just two duplicates of the signal, and converting to single-ended just meant using one of the signals instead of both. Why would there be a loss of quality?

I got the DO100 Pro today. Soundwise, it has a hollowness that is characteristic of the SABRE DAC's I think. The SU-1 sounds different in this regard, it uses AKM chips and has more weightiness to the sound. After adjusting to that though, I'm pretty happy with the sound using the F3 filter (linear phase fast roll off low ripple). The XLR outputs, when converted to RCA, are a little hot, but work fine for my purposes.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
I thought balanced was just two duplicates of the signal, and converting to single-ended just meant using one of the signals instead of both. Why would there be a loss of quality?
It is possible to connect the XLR/TRS output to an unbalanced input using a conversion cable. Sound also comes out normally. However, as a result, the performance and characteristics of balanced output will be lost. In some cases, it is worse than unbalanced output. But you won't be able to tell the difference just by listening.
Just because the sound is coming out normally does not mean that the device is working properly. If there is any influence from the surroundings, the problem will be exposed. If you have an unbalanced output, it's better to just use it.
However, if you think there is no problem with the sound quality with that connection, you can continue to use it. It will not damage electronic components. That doesn't mean you should never use it.
Use the conversion cable only when the output device has only balanced outputs and the input device only has unbalanced inputs.
To fully understand this problem, we need a theory of signal transmission in electronic circuits.

Top Bottom