• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL PL200 (CD Player)

Fleuch

Just like to join the queue to say it is a great looking CDP + DAC combo box but lacks (i) SACD capability and (ii) optical and coax S/PDIF inputs. Difficult to understand why or how I would use either optical or coax S/PDIF outputs when, with the top of the range AKM4499 in the box, the analogue outputs are sufficient. One advantage, though, is the top loader compared to the trayless design used on at least one of the Shanling players.

Looking forward to a comprehensive review !???

Reactions: MCH

Videoteque73

This CD player needs to be reviewed!!! Mostly the mechanics, the electronic with that Dac will probably be flawless. Of course nobody understands the optical&coax outputs, which external Dac will improve the quality of a 44.1khz/16bit signal?

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On sale, $100 off.
1000024924.png

mk05

Forum Donor
Why not just go all the way and include an optical in, so that I could get rid of my SMSL DAC that links my TV audio to my monoblocks. It's already 90% there!

shanyechungu

My unit arrived last Friday. I have been listening to it for almost 3 days (on and off) and I couldn't stop. (You guys can imaging, I am listening to it as I am writing this post.) This is not just because how it sounds but also the way that I operate it, like my favorite toy. Sense of ritual is a very important aspect when playing with CDs nowadays.
IMG_2071.jpg

Design:
First impression, the package and box are upgraded which look way better than the cheap one with the M400.

The size is a bit smaller than it looks in the pictures which is better. With this size, it looks more premium when placed on top of the SP400.

The mechanic keys feel exactly as my keyboard. It is so satisfying to hear the crisp click sound when you press the keys down. The tactile feel of mechanical keys is much better than the microswitches which most devices use. A bit loose which is expected. Imaging that how the keys on your keyboard feel when you place your finger on them and wiggle.

The disc pressure weight block is secured by magnetic force, not by gravity. With a metal shell and plastic holding the magnet inside, it is not heavy and feels cheap. When placed on top of the CD, while playing, you can tell it is not perfectly concentric and wobbles a bit. This bugs me. I tried to play CDs without placing it on and it worked fine. This is something that I wish they nailed it further before releasing the product. Maybe just a piece of solid metal without a magnet does the job? Not sure. Maybe they have tested this solution and for some reason they did not adopt it.

The opening space by the edge of the disc is a bit narrow. It can be a bit tricky to take the disc out if you have thick fingers.

As for the lid, it is a solid one-piece metal and feels premium. I do wish the lid could be somehow transparent or at least left a window on it so that we can see the spinning disc while playing. The diameter of the lid is 5.5inch. I even looked for a glass lid with this size on Amazon and found the the following one. It is $39 made in France which looks very premium. It will immediately turn this thing into a wok or a pan. Just kidding. Anyway, I hope they can release a transparent lid as an accessory and I will order it without a doubt.
41561AGC1nL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Given that this thing is so beautiful, I can bear with those issues.
IMG_2073.jpg

Functionality:
This thing can replace my M400 for my purposes. I connect M400 to my MBP and to serve my JBL 308P monitors. In terms of this function, it somewhat covers it and plus, it plays CDs. As for BT, I don't use this function at all. For the opt out, I am not sure if I will use this function since the best DAC I have is the M400 and they are using the same chip, so there is no point to do so.

I saw other folks wish it had other means of digital inputs, I totally agree. I have a PS4 and it is currently connected to my M400 via opt in. However, I have two separate setups, one is in my garage with the PS4 and the JBL monitors; the other is in my office room with a some PCDPs and headphones. Plus, I don't play video games anymore. So this is not an issue to me.

For obvious reasons, some of the CDs are not readable by my old PCDPs and this thing reads it without any issue.

I also saw other folks wish it had SACD function, I do agree. But I do not have any SACDs so this is not an issue to me either.

Firmware:
Two weird things:
1. It only uses 4 characters or less to show the status. For example, Play, CD, USB, BT. However, when you pause it, it shows "Paus" ... This is so funny.
2. When you keep clicking the NEXT button and when you reach the end of the list, a typical CD player will stay at the last song. This one returns to the first song.
3. The loudness is displayed as dB which is different from the 0-80 digital range in the M400.
IMG_2072.jpg

Price:
I ordered it from China directly and shipped it oversea to the US. It was during the 11.11 time (similar to the Black Friday event in the US) and there was a discount around $100. So its definitely a good price to me. I paid similar for my M400 and this thing does more than it.

Sound quality:
I am very satisfied with the sound it renders. However, I do think I need more time to listen to it and run a systematic comparison between my other devices. This can be very time consuming which is beyond my capacity now. I will find a time for it and update my findings here. My first impression is it has less bass than the Sony D-303 thus sounds cooler and thinner than it. I use ATH-A1000 with D-303 and use HD6XX with PL200. Seems a perfect match.

Last edited:

pingu63

I know no one really plays CDs anymore, but this looks high end. Too bad doesn't play SACD.

What do you think about this product?

I do.

Middle Earth

I know no one really plays CDs anymore, but this looks high end. Too bad doesn't play SACD.

What do you think about this product?

I Heart CDs
My CD collection is far larger than my record collection was back in the day.
As for me, I like this…I also Heart the M Disc

Pioneer BDR-XS07UHD Portable 6x Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray Burner External Drive Bundle with Cyberlink Software Download Installation Code, 100GB M-DISC BDXL and USB Cable - Burns CD DVD BD DL BDXL Discs​

seacard

Sorry if this is a naive question, but is there any reason to think there would be a sound quality difference, at least when listening to CDs or streaming apple music, between getting this device vs getting a higher end transport (Audiolab 9000CDT for example) + a higher end DAC (S.M.S.L. SU10) + a separate amp (Topping A90)? Would any of those components make a difference for an easy to drive headphone like the HE1000SE?

mk05

Forum Donor
Sorry if this is a naive question, but is there any reason to think there would be a sound quality difference, at least when listening to CDs or streaming apple music, between getting this device vs getting a higher end transport (Audiolab 9000CDT for example) + a higher end DAC (S.M.S.L. SU10) + a separate amp (Topping A90)? Would any of those components make a difference for an easy to drive headphone like the HE1000SE?
CD, as a data medium, is the bottleneck in the chain you've prescribed, given the advances of technology these days. Get yourself a Sony x700m from Amazon (if in USA) renewed for $99 - I did. Grab a DAC and run everything (else) through that. I have SMSL DAC (outputting through NC400s in my case) and could not be happier.

seacard

CD, as a data medium, is the bottleneck in the chain you've prescribed, given the advances of technology these days. Get yourself a Sony x700m from Amazon (if in USA) renewed for $99 - I did. Grab a DAC and run everything (else) through that. I have SMSL DAC (outputting through NC400s in my case) and could not be happier.
Thanks for your response. I understand I can go cheaper than $568 with a $100 blu-ray player, a $100 DAC, and a $100 headphone amp, but I guess my question is whether there is anything to gain by going the other way?

Or are you saying that a blu-ray player into my FIIO K7BT will actually sound better than the PL200?

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My unit arrived last Friday. I have been listening to it for almost 3 days (on and off) and I couldn't stop. (You guys can imaging, I am listening to it as I am writing this post.) This is not just because how it sounds but also the way that I operate it, like my favorite toy. Sense of ritual is a very important aspect when playing with CDs nowadays.
View attachment 327977

Design:
First impression, the package and box are upgraded which look way better than the cheap one with the M400.

The size is a bit smaller than it looks in the pictures which is better. With this size, it looks more premium when placed on top of the SP400.

The mechanic keys feel exactly as my keyboard. It is so satisfying to hear the crisp click sound when you press the keys down. The tactile feel of mechanical keys is much better than the microswitches which most devices use. A bit loose which is expected. Imaging that how the keys on your keyboard feel when you place your finger on them and wiggle.

The disc pressure weight block is secured by magnetic force, not by gravity. With a metal shell and plastic holding the magnet inside, it is not heavy and feels cheap. When placed on top of the CD, while playing, you can tell it is not perfectly concentric and wobbles a bit. This bugs me. I tried to play CDs without placing it on and it worked fine. This is something that I wish they nailed it further before releasing the product. Maybe just a piece of solid metal without a magnet does the job? Not sure. Maybe they have tested this solution and for some reason they did not adopt it.

The opening space by the edge of the disc is a bit narrow. It can be a bit tricky to take the disc out if you have thick fingers.

As for the lid, it is a solid one-piece metal and feels premium. I do wish the lid could be somehow transparent or at least left a window on it so that we can see the spinning disc while playing. The diameter of the lid is 5.5inch. I even looked for a glass lid with this size on Amazon and found the the following one. It is $39 made in France which looks very premium. It will immediately turn this thing into a wok or a pan. Just kidding. Anyway, I hope they can release a transparent lid as an accessory and I will order it without a doubt.
View attachment 327978

View attachment 327980

Functionality:
This thing can replace my M400 for my purposes. I connect M400 to my MBP and to serve my JBL 308P monitors. In terms of this function, it somewhat covers it and plus, it plays CDs. As for BT, I don't use this function at all. For the opt out, I am not sure if I will use this function since the best DAC I have is the M400 and they are using the same chip, so there is no point to do so.

I saw other folks wish it had other means of digital inputs, I totally agree. I have a PS4 and it is currently connected to my M400 via opt in. However, I have two separate setups, one is in my garage with the PS4 and the JBL monitors; the other is in my office room with a some PCDPs and headphones. Plus, I don't play video games anymore. So this is not an issue to me.

For obvious reasons, some of the CDs are not readable by my old PCDPs and this thing reads it without any issue.

I also saw other folks wish it had SACD function, I do agree. But I do not have any SACDs so this is not an issue to me either.

Firmware:
Two weird things:
1. It only uses 4 characters or less to show the status. For example, Play, CD, USB, BT. However, when you pause it, it shows "Paus" ... This is so funny.
2. When you keep clicking the NEXT button and when you reach the end of the list, a typical CD player will stay at the last song. This one returns to the first song.
3. The loudness is displayed as dB which is different from the 0-80 digital range in the M400.
View attachment 327979

Price:
I ordered it from China directly and shipped it oversea to the US. It was during the 11.11 time (similar to the Black Friday event in the US) and there was a discount around $100. So its definitely a good price to me. I paid similar for my M400 and this thing does more than it.

Sound quality:
I am very satisfied with the sound it renders. However, I do think I need more time to listen to it and run a systematic comparison between my other devices. This can be very time consuming which is beyond my capacity now. I will find a time for it and update my findings here. My first impression is it has less bass than the Sony D-303 thus sounds cooler and thinner than it. I use ATH-A1000 with D-303 and use HD6XX with PL200. Seems a perfect match.
Great functional review!

Middle Earth

As a transport the PL200 makes sense. I think a transport only version at a lower price would be great. It would be very competitive and attractive in the transport market.

kelesh

To put in my 2c, I like this design. Headphone jack in the back is perfect, I can just leave a set of cans plugged in permanently for instant access and that keeps the front uncluttered. I also think the piano-style controls on top are interesting, it makes a small unit like this less likely to move if pushed hard from the front. The few complaints about top loading got me thinking and I've realized that, out of the 30 or 40 optical drives I've had in the last few decades, I only remember two failing - and both of those were mechanical failures of the loading mechanism, not the optical pickup/spindle motor assembly. This makes sense, since spindle motors are usually much better that the cheap ones used for the eject/load mechanism. So, in terms of longevity, this may be a good solution. I will be watching this unit and any possible subsequent similar models.

kelesh

View attachment 327977

Design:

View attachment 327978

View attachment 327980

Functionality:

Firmware:
Two weird things:
View attachment 327979

Price:

Sound quality:

Now that is a problem. I'd never put it on "paus" then :)

ThatGuyYouKnow

I sort of wish I still played CDs, because this player looks awesome. I agree with others in that I would have bought it right away if it played SACDs, as ripping those to DSD is too inconvenient for me.

BobbyTimmons

Of course everyone is the utmost authority for what is a reasonable price for them individually. But consider this: a world class DAC, a premap, headphone amp and CD player all for less than $700USD?
The important thing for a CD player is the guarantee policy and ability to read tracks on older CDs. The DAC doesn't make an audible difference.

Top Bottom