• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-X with 2x ES9039MSPRO

Grovkalle

That doesn't SU-X :)
Just got my D-6s today and made a quick shootout with my Audiolab 9000n (ES9038PRO) and neither me nor my friend could detect any significant differences. Both sounded really good though, with very high resolution without sounding bright (no fatigue).
Filter made very little on both dacs

hearone

Forum Donor
This constant SMSL churn of basically the same DACs every few months (maybe with a new chip, case or power supply) for just a bit better SNAD is getting old. One reason I went with the RME AD-2 FS Dac. Once you get into the $1000 SMSL/Topping range, they don't seem to offer much value. RME might not have the newest chips, but the features, quality and support is very impressive. And just a few hundred $ more- it is , for me, the no-brainer choice.

I would only get or recommend a SMSL (or Topping) DAC at the max $100-200 range. But with the Wimi Pro Plus, I am not even sure I wouldn't just not get it today for a 2nd system and a JDS Atom 2 amp.

Grovkalle

This constant SMSL churn of basically the same DACs every few months (maybe with a new chip, case or power supply) for just a bit better SNAD is getting old. One reason I went with the RME AD-2 FS Dac. Once you get into the $1000 SMSL/Topping range, they don't seem to offer much value. RME might not have the newest chips, but the features, quality and support is very impressive. And just a few hundred $ more- it is , for me, the no-brainer choice.

I would only get or recommend a SMSL (or Topping) DAC at the max $100-200 range. But with the Wimi Pro Plus, I am not even sure I wouldn't just not get it today for a 2nd system and a JDS Atom 2 amp.
I have the JDS Atom+ DAC connected to an old Denon RCD M37 and a Wiim Pro (no plus) with Tangent EVO4 speakers as a kitchen stereo and JDS seems like a nice brand.
Is the Atom 2 amp any good?

Grovkalle

I have the JDS Atom+ DAC connected to an old Denon RCD M37 and a Wiim Pro (no plus) with Tangent EVO4 speakers as a kitchen stereo and JDS seems like a nice brand.
Is the Atom 2 amp any good?
Never mind... I just realized it's an headphone amp

Rhamnetin

There is an Atom DAC 2, and JDS only improves so I would expect the Atom DAC 2 to be an improvement similar to a newer SMSL or Topping DAC compared to the outgoing model. But without the worries of failure rate and shipping back to China.

Top Bottom