• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 PRO - HDMI ARC DAC

It is possible to connect the XLR/TRS output to an unbalanced input using a conversion cable. Sound also comes out normally. However, as a result, the performance and characteristics of balanced output will be lost. In some cases, it is worse than unbalanced output. But you won't be able to tell the difference just by listening.
Just because the sound is coming out normally does not mean that the device is working properly. If there is any influence from the surroundings, the problem will be exposed. If you have an unbalanced output, it's better to just use it.
However, if you think there is no problem with the sound quality with that connection, you can continue to use it. It will not damage electronic components. That doesn't mean you should never use it.
Use the conversion cable only when the output device has only balanced outputs and the input device only has unbalanced inputs.
To fully understand this problem, we need a theory of signal transmission in electronic circuits.

I ended up not doing this to avoid a change or loss in sound quality. Thanks for helping me understand this. Also the DO100 Pro never sounded good to me with my Vandersteen / Hafler / Schiit Saga setup, even with the normal RCA outputs. The hollowness in the sound just did not sound realistic. The SU-1 sounds MUCH better.

Last edited:
changed RCA cables? to?
Nevermind, instead of fiddling with cables to affect the sound, the biggest improvement came from ditching the preamp and EQ and using the DO100 Pro as the Pre amp. (I happen to be using silver conductor cables, because they are the right length and they sound good to me.) Before I was using the DO100 Pro as a DAC with max output into a Schiit Saga S with Loki EQ. But I went direct to the DO100 Pro and experienced a big jump in sound quality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom