• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New product - SMSL AO300

Andyet

I dont’t need headphones. If device has opt i don’t need hdmi. I’m using netflix, disney, spotify etc. Sound quality will be better?

VadimBN

Sound quality will be better?
Yes, according to the manufacturer's specifications Sabaj A30a should be better. But I have not seen a reviews of independent experts with measurements, either for the Sabaj A30 or for the SMSL AO300. Therefore, I cannot adequately compare them.

Last edited:

DmitryL

Hi Dimitry! What is improved with this update?
I dont have changelog from SMSL. After AO300VOA1 firmware they fixed- HDMI-ARC, system menu , maybe little changes in presets...

icymetal

Wondering on their website for smsl AO300 it said for usb the sampling rate can do 32 bit 768hz but when I tried to change it in Windows 11 it can only do 32 bit 384 hz is there a way to put it 768 hz? And I'm using headphones.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
Wondering on their website for smsl AO300 it said for usb the sampling rate can do 32 bit 768hz but when I tried to change it in Windows 11 it can only do 32 bit 384 hz is there a way to put it 768 hz? And I'm using headphones.
These are typical manufacturer information.
The USB interface with the XMOS chipset actually supports 32/768, but the CS43131 DAC chip only supports 32/384.
But what good is it supposed to do for you? Do you own music material that was actually recorded in 32 Bit/768 kHz?

icymetal

These are typical manufacturer information.
The USB interface with the XMOS chipset actually supports 32/768, but the CS43131 DAC chip only supports 32/384.
But what good is it supposed to do for you? Do you own music material that was actually recorded in 32 Bit/768 kHz?
No I was just wondering why and thank you I'm keeping this unit right now just listening to my headphones and pretty soon getting some speakers for my computer set up.

MrMorry

I wrote about VOA4.
Hello Dmitry, can you tell me that the firmware version you posted on the forum and the one in my photo are the same?

Attachments

• IMG_20240403_164045.jpg
    IMG_20240403_164045.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

DmitryL

Hello Dmitry, can you tell me that the firmware version you posted on the forum and the one in my photo are the same?
I asked SMSL support about that. Its same firmware but from factory.

BanGy

Hello everyone!

I used the AO300 without looking at (or even knowing where to find) the version number on it, but naively downloaded the firmware from the SMSL website, which of course has no description, this is the first minus point. ARC worked during the first installation, but CEC did not (e.g. auto on and off), so I thought I would put the downloaded firmware on it, which is already a challenge in advance, but I solved it. Second minus point.

The result of this was that I received the message "no connection" for the ARC connection and this could not be solved in any way, even though I tried all the magic and ideas found on the Internet. Third minus point.

Here, after installing the SMSL_AO300_UPDATE_VER0A4_EN published on the forum, now it looks like ARC is working again (CEC auto on and off still not, it can only be switched manually from the menu (why?), in the case of a TCL Google TV), but as shown in the RESET menu the device is v1.0 and not v1.4, I don't understand this at all.

Questions that arose in my mind:
- At all, if it is sold with a newer version, why can downgraded the firmware?
- If this is the v1.4 version, why doesn't it say that now?
- How can you really release a device in such a condition?
- Where can you find up-to-date and factory firmware for it?
- Why can't the backlight of the display be set (say in the DIMMER menu) instead of switching stupid colors in the COLOR menu? (unnecessary menu item)
- If you adjust the volume not with the supplied remote control, but with the TV remote control (unfortunately, there is no value bar there), then why does the value not change on the device's display?
- Why is the CEC name "abc"?

... (many minus points.)

It's amazing how quality components and build quality can be ruined by such trivial software glitches.

By the way, to say good things, when it works, it works very well, it has an incredible bay sound and stage space compared to a class D amplifier, almost like a class A/B, only with a faster response. It can be felt that there is plenty of power in it. So this will be good, just pleease SMSL release a really good, functional and stable software.

MrMorry

Hello everyone!

I used the AO300 without looking at (or even knowing where to find) the version number on it, but naively downloaded the firmware from the SMSL website, which of course has no description, this is the first minus point. ARC worked during the first installation, but CEC did not (e.g. auto on and off), so I thought I would put the downloaded firmware on it, which is already a challenge in advance, but I solved it. Second minus point.

The result of this was that I received the message "no connection" for the ARC connection and this could not be solved in any way, even though I tried all the magic and ideas found on the Internet. Third minus point.

Here, after installing the SMSL_AO300_UPDATE_VER0A4_EN published on the forum, now it looks like ARC is working again (CEC auto on and off still not, it can only be switched manually from the menu (why?), in the case of a TCL Google TV), but as shown in the RESET menu the device is v1.0 and not v1.4, I don't understand this at all.

- Why can't the backlight of the display be set (say in the DIMMER menu) instead of switching stupid colors in the COLOR menu? (unnecessary menu item)
- If you adjust the volume not with the supplied remote control, but with the TV remote control (unfortunately, there is no value bar there), then why does the value not change on the device's display?

... (many minus points.)

It's amazing how quality components and build quality can be ruined by such trivial software glitches.

By the way, to say good things, when it works, it works very well, it has an incredible bay sound and stage space compared to a class D amplifier, almost like a class A/B, only with a faster response. It can be felt that there is plenty of power in it. So this will be good, just pleease SMSL release a really good, functional and stable software.
I noticed one strange thing already on the first day of using this amplifier, I have it connected the same way as you via HDMI to a TCL TV, and over the course of several hours of listening several times the connection between the TV and the amplifier was simply lost, at first I thought it was the TV, but the connection appears again only if you switch the input on the amplifier to another and back to ARC, I don’t understand the pattern and why this happens.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hello everyone!

... (many minus points.)

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated case.
SMSL has proven from the start that they can't handle the issue of firmware on their devices.
In some cases there are different firmware versions, but with the same version number. Nobody can say what version will be on these devices. Even more stupid if these devices can only be flashed with new firmware by the manufacturer or a workshop.

BanGy

Maybe if all owners send their comments to them, then they will just take the trouble and do it properly, or release the source code and then someone will cook a better one, so go ahead everyone:

Email:[email protected]
(Emails from GMAIL may not sucessfully received by us or reply back,kindly pls contact with us by other email box.Thanks a lot.)

Roland68

Major Contributor
Maybe if all owners send their comments to them, then they will just take the trouble and do it properly, or release the source code and then someone will cook a better one, so go ahead everyone:

Email:[email protected]
(Emails from GMAIL may not sucessfully received by us or reply back,kindly pls contact with us by other email box.Thanks a lot.)
Whether you write something to this address or a bag of rice falls over somewhere in the world will have the same effect.

A week ago I sent an email to this exact address with questions about how the sub out works.
This was the answer to my email:

Hello Roland,

This is Aoshida Audio, we would be delighted to assist you.

We kindly request the Shopping Platform, Purchase Order Number and Country of Purchase from you.Once we have received it, we will promptly contact the corresponding representative to address your questions.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

BanGy

Whether you write something to this address or a bag of rice falls over somewhere in the world will have the same effect.

A week ago I sent an email to this exact address with questions about how the sub out works.
This was the answer to my email:

Hello Roland,

This is Aoshida Audio, we would be delighted to assist you.

We kindly request the Shopping Platform, Purchase Order Number and Country of Purchase from you.Once we have received it, we will promptly contact the corresponding representative to address your questions.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,
I wonder what any factory or support issues have to do with the buy-sell-country relationship?
I still only try, I write to them, at first nicely, then more and more uglier, and then I prepare a disparaging campaign on all media platforms, to see if anything will happen.
Everyone should do this, many geese beat pigs! ;-)

MrMorry

Does anyone know what version of the HDMI cable comes with the amplifier?

Top Bottom