• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-X with 2x ES9039MSPRO

Please Amir I need the review for the new SMSL DAC SU-X with 2xES9039MS PRO.
Cheers.

gvl

Major Contributor
Measurements are on the page linked in the OP, or is this a request for a commentary?

wavetrade

Seems funny to me to see toroidal transformers in dacs like this. I get it for r2r but otherwise seems like a gimmick. Oh well, perhaps I am just clueless.

unpluggged

formdissolve

Forum Donor

its not released yet and no price but i expect north of $1,000

brave use of nomenclature too
iu

unpluggged

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please Amir I need the review for the new SMSL DAC SU-X with 2xES9039MS PRO.
Sure. You could buy it and send it to our host. :p

More seriously, not sure that this move would be any kind of relevant, since either @SMSL-Mandy or @SHENZHENAUDIO usually send newly released products to @amirm.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you would expect exactly... You already got the measurements in the product description. SMSL (and Topping) are known for publishing reliable AP data, because they indeed know that their products will be third-party verified here. Really, not that much of a mystery.

Reviews of these top-performing DACs really are the least exiting ones, IMHO. Somewhat a waste of (valued) time for Amir, when there's plenty of speakers and amps out there waiting to be measured.

Last edited:

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
SMSL's measurements show that the SU-X measures virtually identically to the SU-10. Due to the limits of the analyzer, perhaps? In any event, it's going to be one of the best-measuring DACs on the planet, for a fraction of the cost of some of the so-called 'high-end' names.

I have no real idea, but I suspect the main difference between the 9038Pro chips (in the SU-10) and the 9039Pro chips (in the SU-X) are the DS modulators they use. It's been a long time since I played around with any of the various modulators in HQPlayer, and can't recall whether they made any really audible difference.

Mani.

MBO

SMSL's measurements show that the SU-X measures virtually identically to the SU-10. Due to the limits of the analyzer, perhaps? In any event, it's going to be one of the best-measuring DACs on the planet, for a fraction of the cost of some of the so-called 'high-end' names.

I have no real idea, but I suspect the main difference between the 9038Pro chips (in the SU-10) and the 9039Pro chips (in the SU-X) are the DS modulators they use. It's been a long time since I played around with any of the various modulators in HQPlayer, and can't recall whether they made any really audible difference.

Mani.
ES9039 is practically the best DAC chip that I have ever seen or heard in 35 years, and also has very little in common with the previous generation from ESS.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
not saying this isnt true but you may as well get an SMSL DL200 which also has this magic processor

i have strong doubts you will hear the 5x 6x 7x 10x price difference to this thing

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
... and also has very little in common with the previous generation from ESS.

You mean technically or purely subjectively?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ES9039 is practically the best DAC chip that I have ever seen or heard in 35 years, and also has very little in common with the previous generation from ESS.
Technically - perhaps.

Audibly - you can't tell the difference any more than anyone else can.

unpluggged

ES9039 is practically the best DAC chip that I have ever seen or heard in 35 years
How do you hear a chip?

Top Bottom