• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-X with 2x ES9039MSPRO

Rhamnetin

For the SU-X, looks like Apos is now carrying it as well.

I can confirm that fixed output leaves the volume where you last had it. I suppose that's normal behavior for SMSL. I also haven't found any issues with any of the filters or coloration options. I was expecting more treble rolloff with the "tube" coloration but they don't seem to do that (not within my hearing range of somewhere between 17-18 KHz at least).

Hifihedgehog

Forum Donor
Mine came in the other day. I suppose it doesn't live up to its name, save for the edges not being rounded and the display readout being rather small for midfield use and beyond. Although Amir would provide more detailed measurements, I'm not in a rush to send this over since we have a good enough idea of how it performs based on their own measurements + Amir's review of their other ES9039 DACs like the D400ES.

I use it on fixed mode and was trying to see if that overrides the volume setting, but to be safe I just leave it on fixed and at +2 dB. I have no intention of trying out the "tube sound" coloration, it doesn't make sense to me to buy an SMSL or Topping DAC and then use such a feature. I think min phase was the default PCM filter so I switched that to linear fast.

hvebHR0.jpg
It looks beautiful but I know people who play funny brand wars will say "SMSL sux! It even is printed there right on the unit!"

Last edited:

Rhamnetin

It looks beautiful but I know people who play funny brand wars will say "SMSL sux!" It even is printed there right on the unit!

The name's extra weird when you consider they already have an SU-10. X means 10 too, so this should be the SU-11?

Hifihedgehog

Forum Donor
The name's extra weird when you consider they already have an SU-10. X means 10 too, so this should be the SU-11?
I think they were trying to channel an Apple-esque "iPhone X" vibe except, as you pointed out, there was only an iPhone X, never an iPhone 10, given a Roman numeral X = 10.

Last edited:

Rhamnetin

Well, mine has already kicked the bucket and won't turn on anymore. Now it has lived up to its name! In hindsight, I dislike the lack of control buttons on the device itself since for all I know only the remote or internal receiver for it has crapped out.

Last edited:
OP
Centuriaromano
Well, mine has already kicked the bucket and won't turn on anymore. Now it has lived up to its name! In hindsight, I dislike the lack of control buttons on the device itself since for all I know only the remote or internal receiver for it has crapped out.
I am sorry to hear that. Bad start for this DAC.

asrUser

So it really sux? :eek: Good thing I go for RME or Schiit.

Rhamnetin

So it really sux? :eek: Good thing I go for RME or Schiit.

I see one other person on Head-Fi reported the same issue as me, for what it's worth. I'm going to guess it will SUX for another 6-12 months, then either it'll be sorted out or it'll be replaced (probably the latter).

I just got a Schiit Modius E, since I need a balanced DAC with AES input and this fits the bill with no real issues. There's something pleasing about going from something named SUX to something named Schiit...

OP
Centuriaromano
Tell us about the experience of returning to China.

Rhamnetin

Tell us about the experience of returning to China.

Will do. Right now I have to wait for the 3 weeks of lunar new year celebrations to be over, as Shenzhenaudio has all that time off. I told them this would put me past the 30 day return window, and they said don't worry it'll be extended to cover this. There was no way to get any kind of RMA number generated now as a form of security here, so I have to take their word for it. We'll see what happens in February.

Reynaldo

As I wrote previously, I had the SMSL VMV D1se2 and needed to return it to China.
I wouldn't buy any DAC today with this new ESS chip.
Not because it was a problem with the chip, but because they took advantage of previous projects to adapt to these new DACs.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
because they took advantage of previous projects to adapt to these new DACs.
You mean they just changed chips with previous topologies?

asrUser

What do you expect from weekly Pokemon? Of course the customers become beta testers.

Grovkalle

Just save money and space and get a SMSL D-6s
My D-6s is arriving tomorrow... please remind me if I forget to give you a short review. I will compare it to my new Audiolab 9000N with its built-in ES9038PRO dac.
I actually ordered the D-6s before the Audiolab 9000N and really like this streamer/DAC so I'm not sure what the D-6s will add to my setup. Maybe I can start up a bedroom stereo (I have a kitchen, living room, man cave and garage stereo but no bedroom stereo :-O)

So far after only 2-3 of testing the Audiolab 9000N streamer/DAC is a keeper! Sounds really good and no glitches in the software, hardware or the app. Everything has been rock solid so far. It had me scare when I did the OTA firmware update from ver 16.1 to 17.1 when it switched off it self and then in the app just kept spinning and saying "updating".
Let it do so for 30-40 min before I dare try and turn it on and as soon as I did so the update finished successfully.

Sorry for kidnapping the SUX thread...

Top Bottom