• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie A40 all in one amp 2024

G-Can

canada. Did you check those sites, it shows no stock on any of them

Zygot

Delay issue exists only with USB connection or with all available inputs? I am goind to use HDMI.

Sebcior

Delay issue exists only with USB connection or with all available inputs? I am goind to use HDMI.
I didn't notice any delays with HDMI, it also seems to work well with the phone via USB OTG, the LDAC Bluetooth responds immediately and is of great quality.

Midnight

I've had the Loxjie A40 for about a month now. Can confirm that I also have the weird USB delay issue. Fortunately, none of the other inputs have that problem and I've defaulted to using the ARC input instead. The only "drawback" is that only the USB input supports 32-bit resolution, not that I can hear the difference.

G-Can

I've had the Loxjie A40 for about a month now. Can confirm that I also have the weird USB delay issue. Fortunately, none of the other inputs have that problem and I've defaulted to using the ARC input instead. The only "drawback" is that only the USB input supports 32-bit resolution, not that I can hear the difference.
so optic input doesnt have a delay when connected from PC?

Midnight

so optic input doesnt have a delay when connected from PC?
I use an LG C2 as a "monitor" and I used the optical output from that, so not quite the same situation as you. Regardless, I didn't perceive any delay when using optical.

Cheezy

The USB delay you all are talking about is because of the xmos driver, you have to follow this simple guide to get rid of it:

munin

So unfortunte the amp is out of stock on hifiexpress.
I know it's available on audiophonics and amazon, but not at the same price :p

Is like the power of 80watt under 8ohm something real and usable?

Midnight

The USB delay you all are talking about is because of the xmos driver, you have to follow this simple guide to get rid of it:
These instructions don't appear to apply if you're using the built-in Microsoft USB Audio drivers. At the very least, I don't see any evidence of a "USB Audio Class Driver Control Panel" in my system's process list.

treehugga

So unfortunte the amp is out of stock on hifiexpress.
I know it's available on audiophonics and amazon, but not at the same price :p

Is like the power of 80watt under 8ohm something real and usable?
It's astonishing value even at the Amazon price.
Mine is connected to 4ohm unsensitive speakers and the A40 has plenty of grunt and headroom. I've never heard my speakers go so low with so much control.

Cheezy

These instructions don't appear to apply if you're using the built-in Microsoft USB Audio drivers. At the very least, I don't see any evidence of a "USB Audio Class Driver Control Panel" in my system's process list.
No, you have to install the xmos usb driver from loxjie website first. Download the file that says a40 driver and install it from this link:
Then after you should be able to follow the link from the post earlier!

Midnight

No, you have to install the xmos usb driver from loxjie website first. Download the file that says a40 driver and install it from this link:
Then after you should be able to follow the link from the post earlier!
Oooh, I see. Though that driver link pointing to Google Drive makes me nervous....

Zimmerframe

Oooh, I see. Though that driver link pointing to Google Drive makes me nervous....
Here's the file. I had to rename the extension to .txt from .exe to upload it.

Though it's probably less safe using a file uploaded by a random forum member than downloading it directly from the site.

As a .txt file you can click on it and read the file if you wanted to.

Attachments

• XMOS_USBAudio_v5.50.0_2022-09-08_setup.txt
    3 MB · Views: 24

Zimmerframe

I have a question ..

It's one of those clueless newby random subjective questions ..

I presently have a FOSI BT20A PRO connected to JAMO S7-17B's and a JAMO C912 SUB.

The BT20 was chosen because I liked the idea of the V3, but wanted bluetooth and a volume controlled sub out for the future and on paper it seemed reasonably similar if you were old and deaf.

The S7's were chosen after much deliberation and a desire to try something other than all the run of the mill recommendations.

1709224341993.png

I upgraded the BT20 PSU after a week to the 48v one and felt like it gave much more depth to the sound - I say this as it probably made no difference at all in reality, but at least you know what you're dealing with......

The "Future" arrived a week later when I decided I wanted a sub for more depth in the bass. This might seem unusual as the S7's with the BT20 are overly bassy if anything (tried lots of positioning) so I have the treble up and bass turned down on the BT20. However, it still felt like the way the sound is presented would be different. Again, this might be ridiculous.

Choosing a sub was not easy, but was then made very easy when I was looking for something else and saw the C912 in the same colour as the S7's and B-grade with a scratch on the side for 70% off and it fit with more or less what I was looking for.

1709224367906.png

All meticulously educated and experienced decisions blending the perfect mix of equipment .......

I actually really like the way it sounds. All in, I'm really happy with it and there isn't really anything I don't like or I'm not satisfied with.

But, there's always the question. Would something else sound better.

So for someone with more knowledge, experience, a clue .... would the A40 sound "better" ... :) than the BT20. It would mainly be fed by bluetooth, but I could also use the optical directly from my old Toshiba DVD player rather than RCA as it is now.

DasChrixxer

So did a bit of poking around in my Loxjie A40 :)
Cirrus CS43131
Low power DAC with headphone amplifier
2 Vrms into 600 ohm
30 mW into 32 ohm

I just picked one of these up, replacing an A30, connected to an older Mac Pro and a rotation of laptops (KVM) via USB. It's powering a pair of Klipsch B-100s and sounds great ... But I also picked it up for the balanced headphones output. I’m using it with HE400se (32 Ω, 91dB/mW), HD 660 S2 (300 Ω, 104 dB/mW(?)), Meze 99 Classics (32 Ω, 103 dB @ 1 kHz, 1 mW), and other headphones via a balanced connection, and various single-ended headphones (Philips SHP-9600, etc).

This is the first information I've found from anywhere that lists any specs for the headphones output stage whatsoever. If I’m reading this data sheet correctly (https://statics.cirrus.com/pubs/proDatasheet/CS43131_DS1155F2.pdf):

– 30 mW per channel into 32 Ω
– 5 mW per channel into 600 Ω

So for my 300 ohm headphones it should be delivering ... back of napkin guesstimate (I always thought, all else being equal, an amp would deliver roughly 1/2 the power every time the impedance doubled?), like 7 mW/channel?

That seems incredibly low. My Sony NW-ZX300 DAP puts out 200 mW/channel at 16Ω (so maybe ~100 mW at 32Ω, ~10 mW at 300Ω?).

Now, I’m using this just at a relatively quiet desk, and almost entirely to have music on in the background while working, so it’s not a dealbreaker. I wanted the A40’s 4.4Φ connector mostly for the convenience and reduced wear-and-tear, not having to hook up different cables to my headphones constantly.

But it really seems like a just-released desktop DAC/Amp should have more headphone-driving power than a 6.5 year old battery powered DAP...? Unless I’m missing something? (And am I right in that a single CS43131 isn’t actually providing a “true” balanced output?)

munin

Hello, I've got mine since few days.
I struggled with making the setup for the hdmi ARC (Videoprojector and android box)
Now it is working well but I've some "cracking noise" sometimes and some cutting in the sound quite often while watching a movie. Does anybody else have this problem?

But overall the bluetooth works very well and as the USB with my linux computer. The look and feel of this amp is not matching the price, in the way that is a really nice well build machine. Now way to say that's a cheapo one.
For the sound, I am happy with what's going out from my wharfedale 12.2.

Thank you

treehugga

Curiosity got the better of me, so I picked up a used Sabaj A30a to compare against my A40. It was no contest in the end and the Sabaj is now on it's way back.
The Sabaj pipped the A40 on holographic soundstage, height and placement of performers, but otherwise the Sabaj sounded like older generation class D, with a drier and nasal upper mid. The review of the Sabaj I watched talked about the dynamics, but in my comparison / setup the A40 has greater dynamic contrast, torque and grunt even though it yields 35 watts to the A30a.

Finally, I used my vinyl front end to compare the analogue inputs with an offboard phono stage. The Sabaj uses ADC at the input whilst the A40 is analogue through to the amp. The differences here were not subtle. Firstly the input sensitivity on the Sabaj is a little weak, so I nudged up the gain on the phonostage, yet I still found the Sabaj flat and lacklustre. EQ only brought about artificial change, but not improvement. Returning to the Loxjie, the sound regained it's dynamic expression, drive and bounce. The 'juice' was back.

I think the A40 is a bargain at twice the price.

Last edited:

dpuopolo

Desoldered the opamp marked ? in an earlier post, it seems to be going directly to the class-D amplifier stage.
Tricky stuff, make sure you have the proper tools and know what you are doing :eek:
Next soldered in the SSOP to DIP adapter.
And put in the Sparkos Dual Discrete Opamp SS3602
It's towering high, should be a few mm to the lid, will put on some isolation for good measure anyway :cool:

The sound ?
YES !!! Finally hearing some magic I'm used to with my high end set.
Definitely a great upgrade from stock.
What's interesting about this

Top Bottom