• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL PL200 (CD Player)

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know no one really plays CDs anymore, but this looks high end. Too bad doesn't play SACD.

What do you think about this product?

MCH

Major Contributor
As someone that still owns and uses CDs, I love the idea (just wonder why if you add a super DAC you put spdif outputs instead of inputs...)
But these people are so much out of their field with something that requires mechanical parts that 40 years later they come with... a detachable cover (???) Hilarious :D I imagine a team of designers in their mid 20s that never actually used a CD player....
I wonder what other usability peculiarities it might have... Hold on, headphones plug on the back? This one they should know it!

AdrianusG

I know no one really plays CDs anymore, but this looks high end. Too bad doesn't play SACD.

What do you think about this product?

Well,

I play plenty of CD's

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
The price is a little high, but I like it. Very interesting DAC chip.

AdrianusG

As someone that still owns and uses CDs, I love the idea (just wonder why if you add a super DAC you put spdif outputs instead of inputs...)
But these people are so much out of their field with something that requires mechanical parts that 40 years later they come with... a detachable cover (???) Hilarious :D I imagine a team of designers in their mid 20s that never actually used a CD player....
I wonder what other usability peculiarities it might have... Hold on, headphones plug on the back? This one they should know it!
Yeah,

That Headphone on the back is really:oops: :facepalm:
For the rest it looks quite nice actually, if they can back it up with good sound and reliability.
And CD's aint dead yet, in fact i hope they will make a come-back akin to Vinyl now.

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The price is a little high, but I like it. Very interesting DAC chip.
Of course everyone is the utmost authority for what is a reasonable price for them individually. But consider this: a world class DAC, a premap, headphone amp and CD player all for less than $700USD?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1000020333.jpg

OMG... It's a top loader!
1000020335.gif

If you're are looking for a transport only (which I do myself), I would rather go for the Shanling ET3, also a top loader, but with the CD cover made of dark glass (so you can see the CD spinning :cool:).
1000020336.jpg

Why ? Because Shanling does have a long term experience manufacturing CD players, and as far as I know, should have less failure rate than S.M.S.L in general.

Also, bear in mind that you will never get this performance out of CD playback:
1000020337.png

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yeah, I think that spec is only for their DAC.

I know I'm ignorant in this area, but I am not sure how do you even measure a CD player THD+N with an AP, there are no input signal to the CD player DUT from the AP to compare it with the output.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know I'm ignorant in this area, but I am not sure how do you even measure a CD player THD+N with an AP, there are no input signal to the CD player DUT from the AP to compare it with the output
You ideally have to use a textbook CD test with standardized test tones (1kHz 0dBFS sine wave etc etc). Or create one with a CD-R (less reliable). Then measure what comes at either analog or digital outputs.
I personally did there :
Was my first attempt, imperfect, so I could improve the precision (from -91 to -93dB THD+N) in further testing. Anyway, you can't get better than ≈93dB SINAD with some 16/44 dithered test files, whatever in digital or analog domain.

@amirm also did some CD Playback measurements here:

Bleib

Major Contributor
I can imagine even in the future throwing in a 64bit DAC just to play 16bit CDs.. hah

Audioagnostic

View attachment 320747
OMG... It's a top loader!
View attachment 320746

If you're are looking for a transport only (which I do myself), I would rather go for the Shanling ET3, also a top loader, but with the CD cover made of dark glass (so you can see the CD spinning :cool:).
View attachment 320748

Why ? Because Shanling does have a long term experience manufacturing CD players, and as far as I know, should have less failure rate than S.M.S.L in general.

View attachment 320750
They both look cool but I have sufficient cd players already.

sonci99

Beautiful. Probably my next purchase.
It's similar to my trusty Sony Playstation SCPH 1002, no dac or cd player has taken that place, you need just too much distortion to sound as good as a playstation does :).

sonci99

Why is that? Because 2 cd players don't measure great? I thought at least jitter for a cd player should be better than an external dac, because the clock and the dac are in the same box.

Untitled.jpg

What do they mean by "All the signals that appear are original and the JITTER is very low!"?

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is that? Because 2 cd players don't measure great? I thought at least jitter for a cd player should be better than an external dac, because the clock and the dac are in the same box.
CD is 16bit, and is limited to 96db.

What do they mean by "All the signals that appear are original and the JITTER is very low!"?
Who knows, it's probably lost in translation. A lot of these smaller Chinese brands don't have a proper marketing or documentation department, which is also why we are enjoying the extremely great value.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Of course everyone is the utmost authority for what is a reasonable price for them individually. But consider this: a world class DAC, a premap, headphone amp and CD player all for less than $700USD?
Thank you, point taken. But as the Flanker pointed out, the software will never keep up with the hardware.

Top Bottom