• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL AL200 Intergrated Amplifier

zeluxao

I just can't understand some of these brands... why release dl200 (dac/headphone amp), a stackable unit with the al200, when al200 already has a dac and a headphone amp built in? Also no hdmi arc.

tc2007

This has been a problem in the audio industry for many years now (since digital became a thing). It makes me rage internally :mad:

They have CD players / Streamers with DAC's built in the unit but no digital inputs to use that DAC. Then they release DACs with preamps so I have to pay for DACs now with built in preamps but then they don't have any kind of subwoofer management or crossover etc. features. So now I have to pay for an integrated amplifier or a dedicated pre-amplifier with all these features but guess what they also have built into the same units. Yes you guess it right. DAC's.

There are some good products which have all of these built into one unit but the pricing far far exceeds the sum of all the different components when bought together at the same time the quality of these built in components is just hohum. It's like these companies want us to buy these items separately and pay extra again and again. Either that or there are separate engineering divisions working separate shifts and no idea what they all are doing.

Roland68

Major Contributor
This has been a problem in the audio industry for many years now (since digital became a thing). It makes me rage internally :mad:

They have CD players / Streamers with DAC's built in the unit but no digital inputs to use that DAC. Then they release DACs with preamps so I have to pay for DACs now with built in preamps but then they don't have any kind of subwoofer management or crossover etc. features. So now I have to pay for an integrated amplifier or a dedicated pre-amplifier with all these features but guess what they also have built into the same units. Yes you guess it right. DAC's.

There are some good products which have all of these built into one unit but the pricing far far exceeds the sum of all the different components when bought together at the same time the quality of these built in components is just hohum. It's like these companies want us to buy these items separately and pay extra again and again. Either that or there are separate engineering divisions working separate shifts and no idea what they all are doing.
You are wrong about the built in preamp on SMSL and most other DACs. There is no preamplifier in these devices and there are no components for it. This also explains the lack of integration of subwoofer management or crossover functionality, as it is not possible at all.
Only a DSP function (pure software) of the DAC chip is used for volume reduction (please note this term) and it has nothing to do with a preamp at all. This feature can also be deadly for your speakers.

tc2007

My statement was not for a particular model. Currently I have a Topping E30 II. The product description on Amazon clearly states

"E30 II is designed for full digital volume control and equipped with an LED display screen. It can be used as not only a DAC but also a pre-amplifier"

Bleib

Major Contributor

Roland68

Major Contributor
My statement was not for a particular model. Currently I have a Topping E30 II. The product description on Amazon clearly states
I wasn't talking about a specific model either, as it applies to all DAC models from SMSL, Sabaj, Topping and many others.
There is only the DSP function for volume reduction and nothing else, no matter what these manufacturers write. Look into the devices, you will not find the parts you need.
Sue Amazon or the manufacturers.

I find it more interesting that a reputable manufacturer like RME, which builds a real dedicated and harmless volume control (with real components) into its DACs, only speaks of a volume control in its devices, but never of a preamp function. At least that's honest.

tc2007

Good to know. This sheds light onto another problem in the audio industry. False advertisement of specs and capabilities. :facepalm:
Consumers like me who have no background in electronics or sound reproduction, are going to base purchases solely on these product listings.

tonimccloud

I want to use the al200 only for connecting to my av receiver via pre out (for feeding my front speakers). In this case, results will be exactly the same if i connect an a300 instead?

longma

I think so, since AL200 and A300 use the same amp chip and we assume they have the same performance.
If u need an amp only, you may consider Fosi V3 amp, which has better measurements and cheaper. You can find the review of Fosi V3 here.

Bleib

Major Contributor
I think so, since AL200 and A300 use the same amp chip and we assume they have the same performance.
If u need an amp only, you may consider Fosi V3 amp, which has better measurements and cheaper. You can find the review of Fosi V3 here.
Weirdly enough they give different SNR number for them; AL200 107dB and A300 103dB. So it's not impossible that there are some improvements..

longma

Weirdly enough they give different SNR number for them; AL200 107dB and A300 103dB. So it's not impossible that there are some improvements..
If they quote the SNR like that, it seems they make some improvements. That is good for customers.

Babin

Hello, i have a Naim nait 5i v2 and i‘m thinking to recap it but Naim ask me to send it and wait 3 to 4 months to do it.

I’m thinking to buy the AL200 to replace the naim during the recap. Do you think it could be a good choice ?

Ps: my dac with the naim is a smsl sanskrit.

Jedifozzie

Hi just joined been a an avid reader for years.

Jost bought the AL200 and over optical I’m getting a chirping noise using my streaming device tries 2 different makes and it’s still does it . Both google software . When I go into the sound settings and pass through it goes of when I reboot its does it again any idea please ?

Toku

Major Contributor
You are wrong about the built in preamp on SMSL and most other DACs. There is no preamplifier in these devices and there are no components for it. This also explains the lack of integration of subwoofer management or crossover functionality, as it is not possible at all.
Only a DSP function (pure software) of the DAC chip is used for volume reduction (please note this term) and it has nothing to do with a preamp at all. This feature can also be deadly for your speakers.
The preamp function is that there are multiple inputs and the ability to switch between them and the volume can be adjusted. Traditional analog preamps incorporate more features, but not necessarily the same.

Roland68

Major Contributor
The preamp function is that there are multiple inputs and the ability to switch between them and the volume can be adjusted. Traditional analog preamps incorporate more features, but not necessarily the same.
By this definition, any DAC with more than one input and a way to reduce or control the volume would also be a preamp.

Top Bottom