• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Micro Bamboo Project" : 3E Audio 260-2-29A Stereo amplifier + Micro-Audio PSU

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
@daniboun > the question is how can you accept the twisted wires theory without the SINAD proof?

@amirm > what do you think about such testing project? the same amplifier tested a) with hook-up wires twisted and b) not twisted (running tight together in pairs)?
This way we can find out if twisting the wires has got any effect on the SINAD score (which is one of the most important equipement quality factor here). I am really curious about the outcome.

I think a question that would make more sense would be: is a shielded cable more suitable than a twisted cable ?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
IIRC twist provides some rejection of magnetic coupling while typical shields protect against capacitive coupling. You can also shield against magnetic coupling but you need a suitable material like steel or mu-metal which you won't find in normal cable shields.

Treborha

My amplifier in its final version. Connected to the B&W 602 and the Denafrips DAC the Ares sounds sensational. It is distinguished primarily by a very rich soundstage. And this power consumption, 10W at normal volume :)

20240313_160634.jpg

20240313_160736.jpg

20240313_160707.jpg

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi amigos,

I will perform an update soon on my Micro Bamboo Project. The idea will therefore be to add an additional extra capacitor buffer / filter board to know the impacts on the measurements...

I am currently in contact with a German Audio analysis laboratory located in Dresden (a little nod to the US group "The Dresden Dolls" which I love!)
They have an APx555 and my idea is therefore to measure my "Micro-Audio" amp and see what a Micro-Audio PSU could bring and the impact of the PSU on the overall measurements

I am currently organizing the test protocol and so I need to arrange to ship the amp to Germany.
I hope I will be able to do this by the end of April and I will then share a new Thread with the laboratory measurements

I'm crossing my fingers in anticipation)

Last edited:

jlx

Hi amigos,

I will perform an update soon on my Micro Bamboo Project. The idea will therefore be to add an additional extra capacitor buffer / filter board to know the impacts on the measurements...

I am currently in contact with a German Audio analysis laboratory located in Dresden (a little nod to the US group "The Dresden Dolls" which I love!)
They have an APx555 and my idea is therefore to measure my "Micro-Audio" amp and see what a Micro-Audio PSU could bring and the impact of the PSU on the overall measurements

I am currently organizing the test protocol and so I need to arrange to ship the amp to Germany.
I hope I will be able to do this by the end of April and I will then share a new Thread with the laboratory measurements

I'm crossing my fingers in anticipation)
will you be measuring with the micro-audio and then with a 2nd, preferably good quality, PS such as the Mornsun so as to have a more valid A-B comparison?

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

jlx

but is it truly redundant if a different facility takes readings using different equipment? doesn't this allow for slightly different result wherein a 2nd test with the 2nd supply on the same day with the same test setup would eliminate that possible wiggle room?

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
but is it truly redundant if a different facility takes readings using different equipment? doesn't this allow for slightly different result wherein a 2nd test with the 2nd supply on the same day with the same test setup would eliminate that possible wiggle room?

I no longer have my other PSUs on hand. And what's more, the test is expensive and at my expense...
The version that Amir has, only differs in the PSU and let's say maybe the quality of the cables....

We will have plenty of elements to form an idea and draw conclusions that will go well))

Scrivs

Forum Donor
@daniboun Nice project. Well thought out and executed. I appreciate all of your positive contributions to the forum. I also admire your unrelenting passion for the topic/hobby. Bravo!

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
@daniboun Nice project. Well thought out and executed. I appreciate all of your positive contributions to the forum. I also admire your unrelenting passion for the topic/hobby. Bravo!

Many thanks. Will continue to share my next adventures here )))

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Update 28/03

I finalized the terms of the contract to be able to send my Micro-Bamboo amp to the German laboratory on April 10 to be able to have APx555 measurements from the end of April. I will share this first experience with this lab in another thread so that everyone can follow and react)

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

brunes

Update 28/03

I finalized the terms of the contract to be able to send my Micro-Bamboo amp to the German laboratory on April 10 to be able to have APx555 measurements from the end of April. I will share this first experience with this lab in another thread so that everyone can follow and react)
Are you measuring the dual mono as well?

SMen

Update 28/03

There is something that interests me about your experience with the Micro power supply, and that is regarding its power without a fan. These power supplies in general seem to have different power rating depending on whether a fan is attached or not.

You are hearing better or more defined bass with the micro power supply if I have read correctly.

The Mornsun / Meanwell smps have drops in amps especially when used without fans. I am wondering if this is a factor?

Perhaps this is something the German lab might establish also.

Many people on this forum seem to be assuming power ratings with the fan, but the implementations are without fan.

What do you think?

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
There is something that interests me about your experience with the Micro power supply, and that is regarding its power without a fan. These power supplies in general seem to have different power rating depending on whether a fan is attached or not.

You are hearing better or more defined bass with the micro power supply if I have read correctly.

The Mornsun / Meanwell smps have drops in amps especially when used without fans. I am wondering if this is a factor?

Many people on this forum seem to be assuming power ratings with the fan, but the implementations are without fan.

What do you think?

I requested for power measurements @ the knee + 1 % THD those are relevant ) so will be fixed soon.

More generally, I asked the lab to align with the ASR tests
To be honest, it's really a new experience and let's say that I'm playing the trust card here.... I spoke several times on the phone with Frank, the engineer who manages the lab and he knows ASR and Golden lab well. .. We'll see what happens and if I'm satisfied I'll try the experience again)

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

jlx

What do you think?
I can't help help but wonder if you aren't looking at this the wrong way. You state that the Mornsun et al. drop in power output when used without fans, but imply that the Micro audio does not, so you ask if this could possibly result in perceived audible effect as stated.
The Micro audio will derate its output as well, just as any other power supply. The difference is Micro audio does not publish detailed specifications and measurements as is the industry standard, despite several requests on these forums for them to do so.
We know exactly how much power a Mornsun will put out, at what temperatures, what air volume is needed to maintain a higher stable output etc. We have no idea what the Micro Audio will put out beyond a peak power output of 600 watts.

this is in addition to supposed sonic improvements from using the Micro Audio ostensibly owing to it's unregulated output or supposedly greater output power and such...
So if I use 55 watts at a given point, the 700 watt max output supply will sound better than the 500 watt supply?
this takes nothing away from efforts to actually measure the Micro audio setup so as to verify if the perceived differences are real. This is after all audio SCIENCE review and thank goodness for that

Reactions: MCH
Top Bottom