• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Micro Bamboo Project" : 3E Audio 260-2-29A Stereo amplifier + Micro-Audio PSU

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
And your experiences and point of view are appreciated
But yes, I have been following everything, but I see no advantage to the better FFT result over the Hypex. So conceivably both exceed the specs required by the amp modules wherein they will not contribute negatively in any audible way, but one measures slightly better so it is possibly, but not confirmed, that it contributes even less negatively so it is even more inaudible. Do we have any proof or data that a psu design that betters the Hypex psu affects the amp modules output in any measurable way?
Surely Hypex has designed their supply to not affect output of their fantastic amp modules negatively, right?
of course the above comparison has no bearing on my initial question as it does not address the Mornsun in any way.

I see no benefit of any kind to running an unregulated PSU (micro) vs the regulated Mornsun, except of course that the Mornsun can provide a very highly efficient 400 watts all day long before thermally induced derating and it is a medical grade product with a high MTBF, with a higher maximum power output in a smaller package for a similar, if not lower price.

I have no idea what the Micro Audio can put out beyond knowing it has a fan cooled 630 watt maximum. This especially concerns me as very few of us ever install cooling fans, so what do I really have here with the Micro Audio passively cooled? 200 watts ? 300 watts? I have no idea as their is no data given with measurements taken adhering to established protocols

I have no reason to think the overall quality of the Micro Audio is superior or that it will last longer than the Mornsun or for that matter the excellent Hypex PSU
I do feel the Micro audio appears to be a high quality unit overall put out by a company that builds very fine products
for my 3 channel mono module build I will likely chose the 750 watt Mornsun as I don't need more than 200w x3 absolute output plus a pinch of headroom

Choice is yours ) 750W makes sense for a 3 channels amp.
In any case and as I have already mentioned. The TPA325X Sylph and 3E Audio modules have excellent PSRR, which is why brick type PSUs (with mediocre ripples) also work well on these modules (CF. PA5, PA5 II or PA7 plus).

Concerning the 3E Audio power supplies, Sami will be better able to answer you... he's the designer) Even if we actually lack a little information on his PSUs, they exude quality when you have them on hand. @MicroAudio > any inputs here ?

EDIT :

Found the FFT for the LOF550-20B48-C

@IDLE

fft-idle-jpg.1160389

@5W / 4R

fft-5w-90k-bw-jpg.1160390

Last edited:

jlx

a stupid question, do these 3E modules come with cables or more specifically: do they come with the line in cables with 3 pin connectors?

bugal

a stupid question, do these 3E modules come with cables or more specifically: do they come with the line in cables with 3 pin connectors?
Yes, there is a 3-pin connector with 3 thin wires (about 30 cm long) - at least when you buy from Audiophonics.
However this is a signal path just before the amp stage so it's a good idea to use here some better quality wires, eg. OCC copper.

jlx

I should have specified when buying directly from 3E on Aliexpress

bugal

I believe each module sold is provided with the standards 3-pin connector. Any better quality option (better connectors and wires) is at your discretion - you can DIY or buy it separately

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Yes, there is a 3-pin connector with 3 thin wires (about 30 cm long) - at least when you buy from Audiophonics.
However this is a signal path just before the amp stage so it's a good idea to use here some better quality wires, eg. OCC copper.

All 3E Audio modules come with the bundle cables. If you need shielded XH 2.54mm ones check here

bugal

All 3E Audio modules come with the bundle cables. If you need shielded XH 2.54mm ones check here

I would take this one + shielding in case of longer runs:

Last edited:

adLuke

Hello @daniboun I would like to ask you a couple of questions on putting together a project similar to yours based on the 3E module.
Would you say there is any difference between the dual mono and the stereo design in terms of sound and the ability to drive speakers? When would you suggest one over the other?
For working on the assembly inside the case, how much space do you advice to allow on top of the boards dimensions?
I am afraid I'm too clumsy to work in a tight environment, but would love to reduce the size of the enclosure.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
Best

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hello @daniboun I would like to ask you a couple of questions on putting together a project similar to yours based on the 3E module.
Would you say there is any difference between the dual mono and the stereo design in terms of sound and the ability to drive speakers? When would you suggest one over the other?
For working on the assembly inside the case, how much space do you advice to allow on top of the boards dimensions?
I am afraid I'm too clumsy to work in a tight environment, but would love to reduce the size of the enclosure.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
Best

Between the Mono (PBTL) and Stereo (BTL) module you will have around 30% more power in 4R and 10% more in 8R in favor of the Mono module. Both perform the same regarding the sound quality. For the case I recommend a minimum height of 60mm to be comfortable. The size of the enclosure will mainly depend on your PSU....
Keep in mind that the PSU choice will also depends on your speakers impedance, see the table I shared in previous pages for this )
If you re looking for a compact amp check my ASH-400 project.

Last edited:

rsqt

Using more than 6R speakers you can take a higher voltage. Over 50V I take small heatsinks and glue them on the little voltage regulators. They have to "work a bid harder" then. So Mono 48V/8R is nearly the same power/channel as 2ch/8R at 51-53V.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Using more than 6R speakers you can take a higher voltage. Over 50V I take small heatsinks and glue them on the little voltage regulators. They have to "work a bid harder" then. So Mono 48V/8R is nearly the same power/channel as 2ch/8R at 51-53V.

Right
Checkout Power vs Voltage

rsqt

I read the TI datasheet. Above 6R and up to 53,5V works.
I tested it with an Fujitsu 1,5KW server psu. Works fine, but had an eye on regulators temperature.
I think mono is a real power advantage using 2R. I take the monos, 3 of them, only for the subs (DBA) that are 2R.

Attachments

• 20220214_130829.jpg
    20220214_130829.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 49

bugal

I have just installed the Micro Audio PSU.
Even after 10 minutes after turning on the upgraded Amp the differences between MP-H250S48 Power Supply and Micro Audio SMPS630-SO are obvious and clear.
Micro Audio PSU is just a masterpiece with increadible impact on sound quality. I have got an impression as if I powered on a different, much better amplifier.

Attachments

• PXL_20240305_122728650.jpg
    PXL_20240305_122728650.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

312elements

Would there be a penalty in using the Micro Audio PSU with an umbilical cord (less than a foot). What I’m envisioning is the power supply in a matching case in the same stack. I ask because it seems like that could scale a little bit better as these boards keep getting better. If no penalty, any suggestions on what to use as the connector? Could I just run XLR between the units?

bugal

The PSU in a separate enclosure sounds like a good idea soundwise. My enclosure is too small for this project at the moment. I am planning to use some bigger one and put the boards apart as far as possible.
The sound quality of 3e audio amp and micro audio psu is at high level and I think that each element has got impact on the sound. Good OCC copper wires (or better) are recommended for signal and current wires, imho. I have used Oyaide Exloprer 2 mm (speaker cables) here.

cfwotzka

I have just installed the Micro Audio PSU.
Even after 10 minutes after turning on the upgraded Amp the differences between MP-H250S48 Power Supply and Micro Audio SMPS630-SO are obvious and clear.
Micro Audio PSU is just a masterpiece with increadible impact on sound quality. I have got an impression as if I powered on a different, much better amplifier.

Exactly this my experience with Micro Audio PSU as well. In two words, fuller and beefier maintaining all other sound charateristics

bugal

Exactly this my experience with Micro Audio PSU as well. In two words, fuller and beefier maintaining all other sound charateristics
much better bass control, especially the lowest frequencies, better presence of sound, sound is more tangible and still crystal-clear. I love this amp!
With MP-H250S48 power supply the sound was also good, but kind of shy and not so pronounced.

Top Bottom