• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Bamboo Project" : Dual Mono 3E Audio 480-1-29A Amplifier

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi amigos,

Following the ASR review of the 3E Audio 480-1-29A Module, I decided to roll up my sleeves and show you that with a little elbow grease, you can create a very beautiful amplifier based on these nice 3E Audio modules. I called this project, "Bamboo"> the pictures will speak for themselves)

I've shared the list of materials you'll need, below. I decided to shape the front panel of the case with a bamboo board that I chamfered and cut. (thickness 10mm). This is what will give all the charm to the case.)) I don't use the stock aluminum front panel because I don't need that volume knob and generally speaking, I don't really like it.

To make some improvements and move towards a qualitative project, I replaced the 2.54mm XH cables supplied with the modules with shielded XH cables. For the other cables, I opted for copper cables with a section of 1mm2 up to 2mm2 which I took care to twist and sheath +added isolated faston connectors. I opted for some good quality gold plated acrylic isolated binding post; (they are almost similar to those of the AHB2 Benchmark.) For the balanced inputs, I am using some Neutrik plugs.
To optimize heat dissipation, I increased the contact between the heatsink of the module and that of the case via thermal adhesive / paste (the ones used for CPUs works well) I had to orient the PSUs laterally, for obvious internal layout reasons. (space is limited) Fortunately, These PSUs have holes to be screwed sideways and they are also placed face to face. For the more observant, you will have understood that I was inspired by the Soncoz SGP1 in a global way, whose power supply was placed with the heatspread upwards.

3E Audio 480-1-29A Mono module Review

A few tips :

- Bring a good little soldering iron and a tool kit, but that's obvious)
-Transfer the measurements of the fixing holes to an A4 sheet before carrying out any drilling. Think carefully about the arrangement of elements coherently
-Do not attach any electronic element to the case without testing first, golden rule)
-The case is almost ready to use, you will need to readjust the upper holes for the XLR connectors (diameter of 2.2cm) and think about the fixing holes.
-Do not neglect any soldering if you make your cables yourself) carry out continuity tests using a multi meter. This step is important.
- For beginners, you can find ready-to-use Faston isolated cables on Amazon or other...
-Always twist your cables, it doesn't take much time.
-For the indicator light, take a 220V LED, easier to implement).
-The EMI filter is optional but practical if you have a somewhat outdated electrical installation.
-Ground your PSU/case for safety
-Remember to check the VDC voltage at the PSU outputs, ensure that the two PSUs have the same voltage level to avoid level differences between the two channels (The ones I use can be set from 42V to 48V)

It's a design that will take a little time and know-how, but it's worth it!
Count approximately between 350€ / 400€ for this project.
At this price, this amp will have no competition)
NB : It took me a short weekend to put everything into action.)

What you need :

Pre-drilled Enclosure in a solid brushed aluminum / side heat dissipation
PSU MP-H250S48 with active PFC
IEC Power block with mini switch
XH 2.54MM shielded cables
XLR Neutrik plugs NC3FAH-0
Gold plated acrylic isolated binding post
220V LED
Bamboo board (Any with thickness of 10mm from Amazon (about 10€)

1702415359508.png

1702415388304.png

1702415422692.png

1702415452216.png

1702415471999.png

1702415569427.png

Last edited:

brunes

That's pretty epic! Nice idea.
How did you mount to the heat sink - did you have to thread/tap the holes?

ob1

Forum Donor
Superb! I couldn't help but think your amp looks like $$$Tenor Audio$$$ offerings.
For example, see below.
Felicitations!

Not that I am vouching for Tenor Audio! From what I have heard, these are only rumors, but supposedly, more than a few customers blew their speakers with Tenor's OTL first offerings. It must be frustrating when you've bought an amp the price of a car to have it destroy your precious speakers. I have no idea if it feels the same than accidently crushing your speakers with your car...

Attachments

• tenor.png
    tenor.png
    457.3 KB · Views: 246
  • tenor 2.jpg
    tenor 2.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 254
  • tenor 3.jpg
    tenor 3.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very impressive Sir!

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Superb! I couldn't help but think your amp looks like $$$Tenor Audio$$$ offerings.
For example, see below.
Felicitations!

Not that I am vouching for Tenor Audio! From what I have heard, these are only rumors, but supposedly, more than a few customers blew their speakers with Tenor's OTL first offerings. It must be frustrating when you've bought an amp the price of a car to have it destroy your precious speakers. I have no idea if it feels the same than accidently crushing your speakers with your car...

I didn't even know this brand but thanks for sharing):D
$82000 for the Tenor 175S amplifier lol......

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Looks great. Sometimes I envy people who can make those beautiful things themselves

You know there's nothing complicated in itself... I conceptualized everything from a sheet of A4 paper and I brought my ideas to life by setting myself a budget.

delta76

Major Contributor
You know there's nothing complicated in itself... I conceptualized everything from a sheet of A4 paper and I brought my ideas to life by setting myself a budget.
when you have the skills, tools, and experience, everything seems easy. not so much from someone who have none of that.
Of course someone needs to start from somewhere and I will do some DIY at some point, unfortunately not in near future :)

adLuke

There is one piece of the kit that I do not seem to understand: the board just below the led, the one the power supply is connected to. Is that an emi filter?
Maybe I'm missing something

brunes

How did you mount the SMPS to the case ? would they also fit flat with one orientated vertically and the other horizontally (without EMI filter)

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
There is one piece of the kit that I do not seem to understand: the board just below the led, the one the power supply is connected to. Is that an emi filter?
Maybe I'm missing something

Yep, this is optional )
"-The EMI filter is optional but practical if you have a somewhat outdated electrical installation."

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
How did you mount the SMPS to the case ? would they also fit flat with one orientated vertically and the other horizontally (without EMI filter)

As I said, these PSUs are factory pre-drilled with holes on the sides too.
Without the EMI filter, you could position them differently)

Simply screw them in from below like this:

1702473736455.png

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
when you have the skills, tools, and experience, everything seems easy. not so much from someone who have none of that.
Of course someone needs to start from somewhere and I will do some DIY at some point, unfortunately not in near future :)

You know we have a French proverb which says: "optimism is of will, pessimist of mood") I learned a lot by making mistakes)

brunes

This is really cool, Thanks for sharing. Might go with this approach. Love the wood front!
What a great project.

musicforcities

Excellent thanks for this!

Love the “sideways mounting of the amp boards on the low profile heat sinks. Makes much more sense than mounting them to the bottom of a case with thick bottom plate since some of the heat transferred will radiate through the cases interior in that config. Also your mounting seems to reduce wiring for inputs and outputs to a minimum.

It would be pretty easy to adapt the design for two VU meters as well in the front wood panel for the retro vibe.

A sheet of ebony or zebra wood would look great as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom