• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Bamboo Project" : Dual Mono 3E Audio 480-1-29A Amplifier

ZzerO

Hi Daniboun, thanks! I have no worries for soldering, I already have some diy pre amp experience.( first watt acp+)

I am wondering if sound quality will remain mostly intact, using the single ended route

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi Daniboun, thanks! I have no worries for soldering, I already have some diy pre amp experience.( first watt acp+)

I am wondering if sound quality will remain mostly intact, using the single ended route

In my humble opinion this will undoubtedly impact Sinad. All you have to do is see the tests of the other PFFB amps measured by Amir. When I spoke with 3E Audio before conceptualizing my project: he told me to use this module in differential mode....

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is great, then.
Looking for TRS female socket to fit exactly the 3e board, the same with the XLR used here (3 long-toothed pins to be soldered).
I expect you will need to get panel mount TRS Sockets, connected to the board with wires.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my humble opinion this will undoubtedly impact Sinad. All you have to do is see the tests of the other PFFB amps measured by Amir. When I spoke with 3E Audio before conceptualizing my project: he told me to use this module in differential mode....
I doubt though that any difference will be audible.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Though I am thinking to go with the XLR sockets as long as TRS to XLR works fine. XLR is increasingly offered on DAC's and streamers, so it will be future proof. Not leaving aside SQ, which is why I embarked in this DIY adventure.

Can I have a close photo to check exactly how the 3 XLR pins fit and are soldered to the board ? Does this require additional parts, other than soldering ?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Though I am thinking to go with the XLR sockets as long as TRS to XLR works fine. XLR is increasingly offered on DAC's and streamers, so it will be future proof. Not leaving aside SQ, which is why I embarked in this DIY adventure.

Can I have a close photo to check exactly how the 3 XLR pins fit and are soldered to the board ? Does this require additional parts, other than soldering ?
I don't think you can solder TRS connectors directly to the board. If you look at the photo in the original review, the TRS connectors are also panel mount with wires to the board.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Maybe I am confusing you with my lay approach.
Finally I am thinking to exact same XLR socket as listed in OP:

My question is how are these fitted ? soldered ?

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

Get a combo XLR / TRS plug and that s it )
I will share you the wiring diagram )

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I doubt though that any difference will be audible.

I am not talking about audible difference )
I'm just saying that this will lead to a substantial fall in Sinad...
Ordinary mortals will not make any difference between a Sinad 95 or a Sinad 105, we agree)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I am confusing you with my lay approach.
Finally I am thinking to exact same XLR socket as listed in OP:

My question is how are these fitted ? soldered ?
That is a PCB mounting connector but the PCB doesn't have the holes to accept it.

You need a connector with solder lugs on it that take wires, such as the XLR/TRS one @daniboun has linked.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Get a combo XLR / TRS plug and that s it )
I will share you the wiring diagram )

So this one is better as it is combo + has the right terminal pins for the board. Great.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
So this one is better as it is combo + has the right terminal pins for the board. Great.

On Amir's review you have a picture of the 3E Audio amp which has the TRS/XLR combo plug

1712907824936.png

MCH

Major Contributor
I am not talking about audible difference )
I'm just saying that this will lead to a substantial fall in Sinad...
The one example I have seen (fosi v3 mono measured by amir) shows 6db more noise because the gain is 6db more. I don't know where the substantial fall in sinad is.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Then I will maintain my order and actually go with my project :)
Found the combo bal socket in a shop near me.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
The one example I have seen (fosi v3 mono measured by amir) shows 6db more noise because the gain is 6db more. I don't know where the substantial fall in sinad is.

The gain certainly has an impact on the Sinad and the measurements on the other PFFB Amplifiers show this. But we have no measurements concerning the SE inputs of the 3E Audio Module and moreover I do not even know its nominal Gain in unbalanced mode.

But I am certain of this, since 3E Audio announced it:

"5.5 Single-end input configuration
Even the board is configured as balance input for best performance, but a single-end to balance front-end input stage had been reserved for some user that only has single-end input source, but please note that this requires user modification"

I also find it very unfortunate that 3E Audio did not send an SE version to Amir to test....

ZzerO

Yes, 3eaudio also mentioned that performance will not be identical to balanced.. tbh I do not mind if it measures a bit worse. I would mind allot if it would sound worse with rca.

For me the issue is that I recently build a unbalanced diy pre amp, that I really like. So for the time being I would use unbalanced. In the future I could build a balanced pre and convert back to balanced.

Regarding the dual power supplies, I am undecided between these two options.

And the AliExpress YZX 600W LLC/PFC PSU

Any recommendations?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it has solder lugs for wires. There are no connectors that will solder directly into the board.

Overseas

Major Contributor
No, it has solder lugs for wires. There are no connectors that will solder directly into the board.
Thanks for the clarification. Somehow I am confident I will go for it, though no nice cases , most probably I will keep them all separated.

brunes

Why do you need to solder it to the board? The board has a connector for a plug with cables. The xlr or trs you moint to the case and join the wires up... or did I miss something

Overseas

Major Contributor
That is why I would appreciate a close photo to see exactly what is shown at the white plastic component on the board, assuming that is the contact point for the 3 pins of the XLR socket ? Thanks.

Top Bottom