• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e Audio TPA3255 Amplifier Kit 480-1-29A Review

Rate this amplifier (kit):

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 18.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 173 76.9%

• Total voters

brunes

Also out of stock at audiophonics, is everyone building them :)
MicroAudio also out of stock.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Also out of stock at audiophonics, is everyone building them :)
MicroAudio also out of stock.

Micro Audio will release soon a V2 version of the SMPS630-SO

NiToNi

Out of stock, sadly. I wonder what they come back.

The whole 3e Audio store has been removed from AliExpress, including old products (DSP, PSU, etc.).

Given their recent success, I wonder if they've been acquired by a larger manufacturer...? :eek:

++++++++++++++++

Regarding PSUs, I just purchased two Morsun LOF750-20B48 from Shenzhen Feisman Technology on Alibaba. This model is a bit beefier than the LOF550-20B48 recommended by 3e Audio and is rated at 9.4A fanless or 15.6A with a 25CFM fan, while maintaining the same compact size (5"x3").

The sample unit pricing is $69 per unit. Shipping to the UK costs $21 for one (1kg) or $27 for two (1.5kg). The shipping terms were DDP, so there were no additional taxes or customs fees. The shipping method is "Express," approximately 12 days. Thus, I paid $165 for two PSUs delivered.

I also wanted to purchase a LOF550-20B48 for comparison, which was quoted at $45, but it wasn't in stock, and the lead time was 2-3 weeks, so I passed on it for now.

The easiest way to get in touch with them is by registering an account on Alibaba, allowing for PayPal and DDP shipping. I dealt with Vic Huang ([email protected]), who was very quick and responsive:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Mornsun-ACDC-Open-Frame-Power-Supply_1600920509477.html?

There are other Mornsun resellers on Alibaba too. For instance, Shenzhen Yingbaichuan Technology quoted $70 per unit (+$1) and a slightly higher shipping cost, but they said they could match the price once they learned I was also in talks with their competitor.

https://szybckj.en.alibaba.com/contactinfo.html?spm=a2700.shop_index.88.34

I communicated with Amanda Liu ([email protected]), who was also very prompt and attentive.

I have no association with either company; I just wanted to share with you guys where to find these power supplies at a lower cost.

surroundman

Regarding PSUs, I just purchased two Morsun LOF750-20B48 from Shenzhen Feisman Technology on Alibaba.
Thanks for the links. When I attempt to add few to cart, however, it tells me that I need to purchase a minimum of 10. How did you manage to order just two?

NiToNi

Thanks for the links. When I attempt to add few to cart, however, it tells me that I need to purchase a minimum of 10. How did you manage to order just two?
You’re welcome. I just initiated a chat via Alibaba and asked the price including DDP shipping for a single sample unit (although I ended up buying two since they were so cheap, especially since I’d pay for shipping anyway!). If asked, just say you’re making/developing amps and want to try out this PSU for your design.

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
While discussing on another forum I discovered a new single rail 600W PSU which seems to be good and interesting. It is a PSU which has a PFC + LLC circuit and with the added bonus of an integrated soft start. Given the democratic price, it would seem wise to me to test it) Got very good feedbacks about it -)

Sound_Designer

@amirm, hello! Which of the two amplifiers (Fosi Audio V3 Mono VS 3e Audio TPA3255 480-1-29A) will have better resolution, detail, tonal balance and less distortion?

Choosing amplifiers for passive studio monitors. Which one will be better for monitoring?

daniboun

Major Contributor
@amirm, hello! Which of the two amplifiers (Fosi Audio V3 Mono VS 3e Audio TPA3255 480-1-29A) will have better resolution, detail, tonal balance and less distortion?

Choosing amplifiers for passive studio monitors. Which one will be better for monitoring?

Answer is in the provided measurements. )
The 3E audio is oriented for DIY market and the module itself has better components in term of reliabilty and performance.

Sound_Designer

Answer is in the provided measurements. )
The 3E audio is oriented for DIY market and the module itself has better components in term of reliabilty and performance.
@daniboun thank you sincerely for your answer!

I'm not an engineer, and I'm not very well versed in the intricacies of technical charts.

Based on your answer, I realized that 3e Audio has higher quality and more reliable components.
This is interesting.

I am primarily interested in sound quality (resolution, detail, lack of distortion) for working in the studio.

Will 3e Audio be better in sound quality too?
If 3e Audio is better, then it will be possible to assemble a decent amplifier from it with all the necessary components.

Sincerely,

Overseas

Major Contributor
@daniboun
Hi, as I am ok with whatever the standard price is for these mono modules, is it worth to wait for any V2/ revised version (I am not technical but I see yiu posted news on another 3e module) ? I am in no hurry and whenever I will order the kits, I depend on a qualified cousin of mine (microelectronics) to assemble it for me.
Most probably I should order on Audiophonics when available.
Regards

daniboun

Major Contributor
@daniboun thank you sincerely for your answer!

I'm not an engineer, and I'm not very well versed in the intricacies of technical charts.

Based on your answer, I realized that 3e Audio has higher quality and more reliable components.
This is interesting.

I am primarily interested in sound quality (resolution, detail, lack of distortion) for working in the studio.

Will 3e Audio be better in sound quality too?
If 3e Audio is better, then it will be possible to assemble a decent amplifier from it with all the necessary components.

Sincerely,

I would answer that if the Sinad is a guarantee of transparency then for use in monitoring: I would go with a dual Mono 3E Audio As such I invite you to read my project "Bamboo project"

daniboun

Major Contributor
@daniboun
Hi, as I am ok with whatever the standard price is for these mono modules, is it worth to wait for any V2/ revised version (I am not technical but I see yiu posted news on another 3e module) ? I am in no hurry and whenever I will order the kits, I depend on a qualified cousin of mine (microelectronics) to assemble it for me.
Most probably I should order on Audiophonics when available.
Regards

As I shared on my "Micro Bamboo" thread. The new version (Rev B) is now provided with some OPA1656 and other minor updates.
I am working with a German Lab. to see if we can measure the V1 (Micro Bamboo V1 project) vs V2. (Micro Bamboo V2 project) via APx555 analyser.

I am also currently working with Micro Audio to get to see how the new SO630 Rev2 PSU could perform with the 3Eaudio V2 stereo module....

Will share those datas normally by the end of this month (at least for V1 )

Last edited:

activewire

These 3e Amp modules are in stock now on Alibaba.

Edit:
Going fast so order now https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004784269635.html
I have purchased 3 x mono (LCR front stage) and 3 x stereo (surround pair + front/rear height pairs) for my 9 channel home theater. The plan is to build 2 identical looking cases, each to contain 3 modules. I am still evaluating power supply options, but thinking each case would do well with a single Morsun LOF750-20B48 as that would provide over 5 amps per module at 48 volts.

Last edited:

amix

Currently available on AliExpress, don't know the revision. But it's tricky: The item labeled 480 goes for 100€, comes with the photo of the 260 and vice versa with the 260 going for 120€.

104,69€ | TPA3255 TPA3251 High-end HiFi Amplifier With Feedback Design

Tell

Currently available on AliExpress, don't know the revision. But it's tricky: The item labeled 480 goes for 100€, comes with the photo of the 260 and vice versa with the 260 going for 120€.

104,69€ | TPA3255 TPA3251 High-end HiFi Amplifier With Feedback Design
Looks correct to me. And also looks nice that they seem to be lowering the price as well!

Top Bottom