• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"ASH-400 Project" Sylph Audio FB-100 Stereo Module with advanced PFFB

SMen

An advantage of working from home, is you get these important posts "hot off the press"!

Excellent @daniboun . You have avoided subjective pitfalls but stuck with the most important factors. Thank you. An obvious question is where your dual mono "Bamboo Project" fits in all of this! It is more powerful again?!

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
An advantage of working from home, is you get these important posts "hot off the press"!

Excellent @daniboun . You have avoided subjective pitfalls but stuck with the most important factors. Thank you. An obvious question is where your dual mono "Bamboo Project" fits in all of this! It is more powerful again?!

I didn't have time to test the Dual Mono Bamboo) for good reason, someone probably bought it on impulse) Anyway, I'm moving soon I have to get rid of my equipment
I don't just have DIY projects, I'm also building a new house with a real living room to test more amps later lol :);)

NB: teleworking pushes people to be lazy, chuuutttttttttt) :p

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

TPA325X chips amps are in BTL mode and use a single rail supply
A good explanation here :

Pierre159

i have to find an amp for my new pair based on mark audio maop 10.2, do you think this amp could be a good idea?
because it don't tell how it sound...:)

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
i have to find an amp for my new pair based on mark audio maop 10.2, do you think this amp could be a good idea?
because it don't tell how it sound...:)

I did not test the Mark audio maop 10.2... seems to be a good full range speaker. )
I think you should wait for the ASR test which will appear soon. For my part, I drive my Elac FS247.4 (85db) without any problem with my ASH-400

bugal

On one of my old projects I made a custom PSU for the PA5 and tried to compare but I noticed almost no difference between the stock PA5 PSU (144w) and the one I Diyed (300w)
The only way to compare it is to get reliable measurements....

A good basis for comparison will be for me to compare the FB100 to the 3E Audio coupled with my Micro-Audio PSU)

BTW I dismantled the PA5 psu and it seems to be a LLC type

Have you got a chance to compare the 3e Audio mono or stereo module powered by Micro Audio 46V with FB100 or FB360 also powered by MicroAudio 46V?
Mainly in terms of your subjective sound quality impression (sound smoothness, bass control, soundstage, instrument separation etc.)

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Have you got a chance to compare the 3e Audio mono or stereo module powered by Micro Audio 46V with FB100 or FB360 also powered by MicroAudio 46V?
Mainly in terms of your subjective sound quality impression (sound smoothness, bass control, soundstage, instrument separation etc.)

No. I only have one Micro Audio 48V for my Micro Audio projet (3E Audio). So not suitable for the Sylph FB100....

bugal

No. I only have one Micro Audio 48V for my Micro Audio projet (3E Audio). So not suitable for the Sylph FB100....
that's right - FB100 accepts max 38V. FB360 - 52V, so Micro Audio with 46-48 V would be perfect here.
I am curious about the comparision between 3E Audio 480-1-29A mono amp and Sylph Audio FB 360 mono. Especially in terms of sound impression.
Anybody has completed such a project? I would be grateful for any input.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
that's right - FB100 accepts max 38V. FB360 - 52V, so Micro Audio with 46-48 V would be perfect here.
I am curious about the comparision between 3E Audio 480-1-29A mono amp and Sylph Audio FB 360 mono. Especially in terms of sound impression.
Anybody has completed such a project? I would be grateful for any input.

FB100 and FB360 are one the way to Amir )
You will be fixed asap )

We will see if they match here :

1708951653026.png

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
yes, I am also looking forward to seeing these reviews and results.
In any case, what I can confirm to everyone is that the Sylph Audio and 3E Audio Modules are robust and very well designed. They are equal in quality. Sylph Audio nevertheless chose classic heat dissipation via heatsink while 3E Audio opted for a heatspreader (which I find more practical)

SMen

Hi amigos,

XH 2.54MM shielded cables (for inputs)

Cables :
Any good quality copper cables, from 1.5mm2 to 2mm2, shielded if possible.
I make my own cables.
Hello @daniboun , I have just a couple of 'fine print' questions regarding your list of necessary parts.

Are these the correct female connectors to attach cables both to the power inputs, and the board's output male spade connectors, which I think are 6.35mm?

If not can you recommend connectors.

And I think that I am correct that the Sylph comes with the 2x XH 2.54mm connectors, but not the cable.
Audiophonics seem to be out of stock of your recommended cable. I've asked them these questions but they are yet to reply.
Many thanks for your suggestions.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi amigos,

I'm coming back to the forefront with a new project.
Great to read these projects. Do you know of any Class-D PFFB modules that are not BTL, using something like + and - 35V? I think some UcD are pretty inexpensive but I wonder if there are other budget ones besides Hypex?

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Great to read these projects. Do you know of any Class-D PFFB modules that are not BTL, using something like + and - 35V? I think some UcD are pretty inexpensive but I wonder if there are other budget ones besides Hypex?

No idea here....
Let's say that I consider more the performance / quality / price approach. And the 3E Audio and Sylph Audio modules fulfill this task well)

Roland68

Major Contributor
The amplifier IC's (TPA325x), the basic concept/design including the PFFB implementation are a design by TI, which was exploited to its full potential by Sylph Audio and 3e Audio, among others. This also includes BTL and PBTL as well as the supply with only a positive supply voltage.
It is not easily transferable to other concepts/designs and would have nothing to do with it.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hello @daniboun , I have just a couple of 'fine print' questions regarding your list of necessary parts.

Are these the correct female connectors to attach cables both to the power inputs, and the board's output male spade connectors, which I think are 6.35mm?

If not can you recommend connectors.

And I think that I am correct that the Sylph comes with the 2x XH 2.54mm connectors, but not the cable.
Audiophonics seem to be out of stock of your recommended cable. I've asked them these questions but they are yet to reply.
Many thanks for your suggestions.

The Faston connectors are 4.8mm. They are provided with the modules but without the cables.
The XH 2.54mm come with the modules.

A few tips here :

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
@SylphAudio > could you please share the Cosmos measurements here when it is online ?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The amplifier IC's (TPA325x), the basic concept/design including the PFFB implementation are a design by TI
Hypex were using post-filter feedback in the UcD amps well before TI's patent and app note. I don't remember there being much unusual in TI's app note compared to what you'd usually do to ensure stability with feedback. I could be missing something - it's been a long time since I've done that myself. On that basis you could potentially do something similar with other amps like IR's IRAUDAMP example designs - the ones I've looked at are dual rail, don't have PFFB and do have load sensitivity.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hypex were using post-filter feedback in the UcD amps well before TI's patent and app note. I don't remember there being much unusual in TI's app note compared to what you'd usually do to ensure stability with feedback. I could be missing something - it's been a long time since I've done that myself. On that basis you could potentially do something similar with other amps like IR's IRAUDAMP example designs - the ones I've looked at are dual rail, don't have PFFB and do have load sensitivity.
You are taking my answer a little out of context, you have probably misunderstood me and I am probably the wrong recipient.
My answer was related to @pjug question and only concerned TI's specific PFFB design/implementation for the TPA325x family, nothing else.
Hypex had already excluded @pjug itself in its question.

Of course, there are many amplifiers that use a PFFB design and have been doing so for a very long time. But I don't know of any corresponding available modules.
In this regard, it would be great if you could name a few modules with the properties desired by @pjug .

Top Bottom