• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My first multichannel "ground loop less" DIY amplifier !

Larudakote

Hi!

I build loudspeakers cabinet for more than 40 years, I play with electronic crossover for 30 and I try to assemble amplifier board for more than 20.
From the moment more than 2 channels have been made, I have never reached "zero noise" amplifier because of "hum" and "buzz"...
The famous ground loop syndrome :confused:

And then, I decided to build a last 2.1 chanel for my son. The parts:

Now, I can't hear any buzz, my ear sticked to the speakers; just a normal slight high-pitched noise. Finally ! :)

I achieved this goal thanks to 3 factors:
  1. only class D amplifiers (I tried AB gainclone or similar for a long time)
  2. qualitative SMPS from Connex Electronic: it is not cheap but essential (note I first tried a very noisy aliexpress 36V SMPS)
  3. independent power supply for each PCB, which is particularly important for the BT module

Ampli-Romain-UCD180-+-TPA3255.jpg

Two features:
- volume knob via miniDSP (digital control) particularly useful when RCA input is used;
- automatic switch between BT and RCA input via the excellent LQCS module (really helpful!).

PXL_20240301_152435292.jpg

Right to the amplifier, my last DIY cabinet made for my niece.

PXL_20240304_130720892.PORTRAIT.jpg

OK, it is not a perfect back plate, but I don't own a drill press...

Now I'm confident :cool: I plan to build another 2.1 system for my daughter, around an excellent 3E Audio EAUMT-0100-3-A I bought used (because discontinued TPA3251).
I will use exactly the same setup (only one SMPS300RS) in a smaller Galaxy case.

PS: my similar main HTPC system is, also, groundloopless because I removed an auxiliary (unused) PSU... noisy!

Top Bottom