• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Direct Blemished Speaker Cabinets

seanhyatt

Has anyone received blemished finishes on New KEF speakers? Is this really so rare. The speakers sound fine.

I just purchased a pair of R11 speakers new from KEF direct. After they were moved to the second story media room I unpacked them and immediately noticed swirl marks, nicks on the finish and a glue like substance sticking to them that does not come off. KEF said they were new, not cured properly and they have never seen anything like that ever.

Solutions offered by KEF. Direct:

1. Return VIA UPS and I will have to take them to UPS because they can not order a pickup for such a heavy item. They were shipped to me via shipping crate. They are around 94lb in box and will require two trips in my car to get them to UPS safely. in addition doctors orders are not to lift over 50lbs. for the time being.
UPDATE: The other rep. at KEF has ordered UPS pickup. The e-commerce manager had told they were too heavy for UPS pickup. We will see.

2. $300.00 off each speaker. The e-commerce manager on the phone said "we really don't want them back". Well I don't want to pay $2400 for something sold as new that looks used, has swirl marks, finish Scratches and goo on it.

Attachments

• IMG_2769.jpeg
    IMG_2769.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_2762.jpeg
    IMG_2762.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_2757.jpeg
    IMG_2757.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_2758.jpeg
    IMG_2758.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_2750.jpeg
    IMG_2750.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_2749.jpeg
    IMG_2749.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_2748.jpeg
    IMG_2748.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_2744.jpeg
    IMG_2744.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_2746.jpeg
    IMG_2746.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_2774.jpeg
    IMG_2774.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_2753.jpeg
    IMG_2753.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_2754.jpeg
    IMG_2754.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_2765.jpeg
    IMG_2765.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_2775.jpeg
    IMG_2775.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

radix

Major Contributor
I think this would fall under the T&C for the store, not warranty: https://us.kef.com/pages/terms-and-conditions

Eligible defective products may be returned for an exchange within 30 days from the date your product was delivered. Defective products will be exchanged for the same model only. Defective products must be returned with the original box and packaging and with all included materials including, but not limited to, warranty cards, manuals, and accessories. The UPC label must be intact. We reserve the right to charge for all missing materials.

To process a defective return/exchange you must contact Customer Service at 732-683-2356. All returns/exchanges require a Return Authorization Number (RA#). This will be given by Customer Service. All Returns/Exchanges must have the RA # written clearly on the box accompanied by a note, explaining what is wrong with the item, in the original merchandise box.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I'd never be happy if I kept them. I might live with it for a 50% discount - but not for less than 10. Those flaws have already taken much more than $300 of any resale value.

In the UK I'd be entitled to a refund of any return costs (including for a couple of car journeys) but I'd have to fight for it, and also not sure of where you are/local regs.

I'd tell them you expect them to collect the faulty units as they delivered them. Point out that the internet is a loud space for bad reviews.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How far is it to UPS and what kind of a small car do you drive?

JLGF1

Those circular swirl marks look like someone tried to buff out those defects (and obviously wasn't successful).

Astounding that those would have passed QC. But, manufacturers of all stripes are quick with the that's never happened before excuse.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Funny they admitted they don't want the speakers either but offered you only $300 back. That's probably no more than they'd pay UPS for return shipping.

OP
S

seanhyatt

Personally I'd never be happy if I kept them. I might live with it for a 50% discount - but not for less than 10. Those flaws have already taken much more than $300 of any resale value.

In the UK I'd be entitled to a refund of any return costs (including for a couple of car journeys) but I'd have to fight for it, and also not sure of where you are/local regs.

I'd tell them you expect them to collect the faulty units as they delivered them. Point out that the internet is a loud space for bad reviews.
The attitude of the guy I spoke to was appalling. It was as if I had done something wrong and they were doing me a favor. This was not the experience I was hoping for.

OP
S

seanhyatt

Funny they admitted they don't want the speakers either but offered you only $300 back. That's probably no more than they'd pay UPS for return shipping.

That is just about the price to send them back. Each speaker is around $300.00. $600 total.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just return them. I bought both sets of LS 50's with supposed scratch and dents, and they were flawless. Saved myself $600 in the process. Crutchfield has warehouse sales for that stuff. Bought my C1 Oled, also supposedly with "minor cosmetic flaws" which I couldn't see, and saved myself another $300. Same with my SVS Sb 2000's which retail for $700. Bought each for $500 with "minor cosmetic flaws" which I could not detect. That's $1300 saved right there. Probably going to buy a pair of R3 Metas from the warehouse later this year, and save some more.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Ship them back and take your business elsewhere, be it another brand or KEFs from a dealer like Crutchfield or Best Buy.

radix

Major Contributor
I know this is kind of archaic, but if you write an actual letter to this guy, maybe he won't personally get it, but someone up the food chain will. Write a sincere letter describing what happened, with some photos, and explain how unhappy you are with KEF's customer service. Include details of when you called or who you spoke with (if you have that). Include a copy of your receipt. Then ask for what you would like, if anything, to fix the problem for you (I don't know if you had any out-of-pocket costs except your time and gas to go to UPS store). Or you could call customer service back and ask for a supervisor.

Alec Chanin
President
KEF America
10 Timber Ln Marlboro, NJ, 07746-1444

OP
S

seanhyatt

Thanks that is a good suggestion and I will do that and follow up on this post if anything happens.

The person I talked to on the phone was the supervisor.

RMW_NJ

I would just return them and see if you can get them locally from BestBuy or somewhere if you still want them. Big, expensive stuff is just about the only thing I don’t buy online at this point because of the hassle to return.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know this is kind of archaic, but if you write an actual letter to this guy, maybe he won't personally get it, but someone up the food chain will. Write a sincere letter describing what happened, with some photos, and explain how unhappy you are with KEF's customer service. Include details of when you called or who you spoke with (if you have that). Include a copy of your receipt. Then ask for what you would like, if anything, to fix the problem for you (I don't know if you had any out-of-pocket costs except your time and gas to go to UPS store). Or you could call customer service back and ask for a supervisor.

Alec Chanin
President
KEF America
10 Timber Ln Marlboro, NJ, 07746-1444
The best course of action.

Slayer

Simple, call KEF back, tell them you don't won't them. Remind them, it is their responsibility to arrange pick-up and shipping.
Tell them, here in the states we do have some laws that actually lookout for the consumer. Remind them, they have 30 days to pick them up from the time you tell them you don't want them, if they don't pick them up, they become yours free of charge on the 31st day.
I'm sure their attitude will change and your likely to get that 50% off offer.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I find it interesting to follow this case and see how it is handled in the USA. In Germany, I would have no problem getting a free return. There is also a strong consumer protection. I would not keep the speakers in any case, because I generally do not like things with signs of use or even small defects. But that's something everyone has to decide for themselves. I think the $300 discount is a bad joke.

Top Bottom