• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Meta - My Experience

ehabheikal

Get minidsp forr room correction and Equalization. It will solve some of your issues. The dirac room correction makes it easy and applies a very pleasing default house curve.

Last edited:

Sillysilly

How is replacing the amp going to to stop your speakers bottoming out? Just buy a couple of subs and high pass the R3’s.

PowerSerge

Get them really close to the front wall that way you can lower the bass level and get more spl out of them. Try towing them in so the tweeter lines meet right in front of your face.

SharinganUser

I have a pair of KEF R3 Metas and a pair of regular R3 non-Metas. None of my R3s are "struggling" to do anything. Both systems sound amazing and have excellent bass response at 80 dB avg and 85+ dB peak. No, I have no graphic measurements to share but I'm working on that.

System 1: Buckeye Purifi 1ET400A - KEF R3 Meta + SVS-SB1000 Pro
System 2: Buckeye NC502MP - KEF R3 (non-Meta) + Jamo S808 sub (WAF influenced component choice)

Note that the 2nd system has a cheap-ass Jamo sub with an 8" driver. Still sounds great.

I'm all about accurate measurements and components measuring well, but I would be careful speculating about how anything sounds if you haven't heard it personally.
I also have a a NC502MP I am a tiny bit worried that my Buckeye amp is a bit too powerful. I used to be able to play my Kef r3 metas at full range with Denon 6700h, but now with all this power even at low volume the speaker distorts with low bass. Is there a way to equalize this out because when I switch the speakers to small to try and set a crossover, it automatically adds the sub there's no way to get a crossover a certain level without the sub on...

For movies though I'm super happy I honestly enough the biggest difference I've noticed is in the surrounds. Now that the receiver doesn't have to worry about these heavy lifters at the front the surround is so clear. It is incredible for home theater but I wonder if I can figure out this music issue. Any suggestions? Do you also have this problem or are you just playing them with the subs?

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I also have a a NC502MP I am a tiny bit worried that my Buckeye amp is a bit too powerful. I used to be able to play my Kef r3 metas at full range with Denon 6700h, but now with all this power even at low volume the speaker distorts with low bass. Is there a way to equalize this out because when I switch the speakers to small to try and set a crossover, it automatically adds the sub there's no way to get a crossover a certain level without the sub on...

For movies though I'm super happy I honestly enough the biggest difference I've noticed is in the surrounds. Now that the receiver doesn't have to worry about these heavy lifters at the front the surround is so clear. It is incredible for home theater but I wonder if I can figure out this music issue. Any suggestions? Do you also have this problem or are you just playing them with the subs?

I'm not having any of the issues you describe.

Unless you are playing at/above reference level (...and even then...), it is highly unlikely that your Buckeye is root cause.

My uneducated guess is that you may be experiencing either or both of these issues:

(1) You may be driving your R3Ms with music that has a larger percentage of information below 80Hz coupled with a higher volume setting on your Denon.
(2) Your source may have some measure of distortion contained within the music that is being amplified and then fed to your R3Ms.

For issue (1) you should set a proper crossover between your R3Ms and your Sub, start at 78-80Hz and then work your way up until you resolve the issue.

I've changed a number of pieces of gear in that system:

Bluesound Node 2i - miniDSP SHD - Buckeye NC502MP - KEF R3 (non-Meta) + Emotiva SE12 Sub

I have the speakers about 1.5 ft from the back wall, about 10 ft apart, the port plugs IN, and the R3 crossover set at 100Hz with 24dB/octave slope on the miniDSP SHD.

As I mentioned above, zero bass distortion issues. In fact, it sounds amazing.

SharinganUser

I'm not having any of the issues you describe.

Unless you are playing at/above reference level (...and even then...), it is highly unlikely that your Buckeye is root cause.

My uneducated guess is that you may be experiencing either or both of these issues:

(1) You may be driving your R3Ms with music that has a larger percentage of information below 80Hz coupled with a higher volume setting on your Denon.
(2) Your source may have some measure of distortion contained within the music that is being amplified and then fed to your R3Ms.

For issue (1) you should set a proper crossover between your R3Ms and your Sub, start at 78-80Hz and then work your way up until you resolve the issue.

I've changed a number of pieces of gear in that system:

Bluesound Node 2i - miniDSP SHD - Buckeye NC502MP - KEF R3 (non-Meta) + Emotiva SE12 Sub

I have the speakers about 1.5 ft from the back wall, about 10 ft apart, the port plugs IN, and the R3 crossover set at 100Hz with 24dB/octave slope on the miniDSP SHD.

As I mentioned above, zero bass distortion issues. In fact, it sounds amazing.
I'm definitely not anywhere near reference. I can turn it WAY down and it will still do it with some notes in some songs. In others it sounds amazing. This is coming from a Denon AVR 6700h though. Think it's only 1.4v pre out so maybe that's it? Because like I said, the movies are fine regardless. And as long as I have a crossover set and sub going for music, the distortion goes away, but the speakers don't sound nearly as good with a sub in comparison to them both playing full range by themselves as before..

I have one more subcoming so hopefully that might help. It's weird that I didn't have this issue when it was powered solely by the receiver. Is it possible there was an error in The audyssey setup? Maybe I'll run it again a few times and see if it fixes anything...

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm definitely not anywhere near reference. I can turn it WAY down and it will still do it with some notes in some songs. In others it sounds amazing. This is coming from a Denon AVR 6700h though. Think it's only 1.4v pre out so maybe that's it? Because like I said, the movies are fine regardless. And as long as I have a crossover set and sub going for music, the distortion goes away, but the speakers don't sound nearly as good with a sub in comparison to them both playing full range by themselves as before..

I have one more subcoming so hopefully that might help. It's weird that I didn't have this issue when it was powered solely by the receiver. Is it possible there was an error in The audyssey setup? Maybe I'll run it again a few times and see if it fixes anything...
Ah, your Denon isn't providing balanced output, it's line level. You may have a gain mismatch. I know that a lot of other users here have line level preamps in front of their Buckeyes without issues. Still sounds like it might be a gain problem.

As to the full range perception, there are going to be few stand mount or bookshelf speakers that can truly reproduce full range, R3Ms included.

I realize it's a matter of personal taste, but I love mine coupled with a sub. I have a set of Metas and non-Metas in separate systems, each with a sub, love both. YMMV.

Good luck!

SharinganUser

Ah, your Denon isn't providing balanced output, it's line level. You may have a gain mismatch. I know that a lot of other users here have line level preamps in front of their Buckeyes without issues. Still sounds like it might be a gain problem.

As to the full range perception, there are going to be few stand mount or bookshelf speakers that can truly reproduce full range, R3Ms included.

I realize it's a matter of personal taste, but I love mine coupled with a sub. I have a set of Metas and non-Metas in separate systems, each with a sub, love both. YMMV.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for your input. Much appreciated!

SharinganUser

Good luck!
Oh. Just to be clear. Does gain mismatch man my product isn't supplying enough voltage? Or is that something different?

Top Bottom