• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R11 vs. Q900 Blind test can’t tell difference! HELP

mk05

Forum Donor
If you can’t tell the difference, does it matter?
In my case, finally moving my KEF R900 from my Marantz AVR (similar to OPs) to a standalone SMSL>NC400s provided a major improvement in SINAD (and also listening experience).

dlaloum

Major Contributor
In my case, finally moving my KEF R900 from my Marantz AVR (similar to OPs) to a standalone SMSL>NC400s provided a major improvement in SINAD (and also listening experience).
Could the same have been achieved with AVR>NC400's? (was it tried?)

mk05

Forum Donor
Could the same have been achieved with AVR>NC400's? (was it tried?)
Unfortunately, I did not purchase unbalanced-balanced cables to connect the AVR preout for my NC400 blocks. I believe the OP's Denon AVR has a good onboard DAC, but is limited somewhat by the amp - was unclear if he pre-out to something else.

(This is a personal anecdote so YMMV, but I could not tell the difference between my KEF R900 and Energy C5s on my AVR until moving them onto the SMSL/NC400 chain)

MEGB1262

Hi there,
i am coming from the DIY front, so i would spend a part of the 3000 $ in measurement equipment (CLIO pocket - not cheap but easy to use) and the activation of the Q900 with miniDSP and power amplifiers or Hypex plate amps. I have both the drivers, the uniQ of the R11 KEF SP1753 and the uniQ of the Q950 SP1716. They are waiting for their projects to be used with plate amps or miniDSP and power amps
KEF-Chassis-Capture.JPG
in addition consider to add some serious subwoofers and remove the LFE stuff from the Q900 even though it can produce low frequency a cut off under 85 Hz will improve their sound a lot, the uniQ and the woofer are not the specialized chassis for very low frequencies like 12 inch or 15 inch subwoofer chassis

so far - so good, Stefano

Last edited:

SlaughterX

I have the Q950s and the R11s. Both were connected to the Denon 3700 and a 200 watt 3 channel Emotiva amp. I can def tell a difference... the R11s play louder and clearer... I can hear them fairly clearly 2 floors down in my basement!

20230724_181344.jpg

The 950s do have more bass, as they should since they have bigger drivers. Doesn't really matter with my sub though.

Last edited:

SlaughterX

Have you ever considered upgrading to an AVR that supports front wide and using them both? I didn't know anything about FW (and I still haven't used the feature) until I got my Denon 6700, but I was about to bring my 950s back upstairs just to try it out, plus I don't really have the room anyway.

I think I remember you posting about the blemishes on AVS Forum, glad you kept a pair! It took me about a week before I finally pulled the trigger, but I am glad that I did. I will own these speakers FOREVER!

OP
S

seanhyatt

I am planning to use the Q900 as back speakers in a 9.4.2 system with a denon X3600 with all external amps and the x3600 amps manually disconnected.

I did try wides with Q150s and a marantz av7705 a long time ago but there was not a lot of material then.

Did you notice any processing or DAC sound quality improvements from the 3700 to 6700?

SlaughterX

Just in the rears and front heights, since those are the only ones using the AVR for power

Top Bottom