• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Direct Blemished Speaker Cabinets

OP
S

seanhyatt

I would just return them and see if you can get them locally from BestBuy or somewhere if you still want them. Big, expensive stuff is just about the only thing I don’t buy online at this point because of the hassle to return.
It seems only KEF direct and accessories for less is offering the R11 at closeout prices. One is the manufacturer and the other is a retail outlet the specializes in selling seconds or reconditioned products.

Last edited:
OP
S

seanhyatt

I have made KEF Direct aware of this thread in the event they would like to comment or correct anything I have stated.

Last edited:

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Without a doubt, those were not new. They were repackaged returns…especially given the marring that you can see around the plinth attachments.
Given I’m going to be receiving my discounted R11’s tomorrow from the same KEF direct source…I’ll be going over them with a fine tooth comb.
Really didn’t need to see this post…won’t be sleeping well tonight!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
When you buy speakers you've considered for a long time and finally splashed out the money, you want and are entitled to perfect examples. Nothing else will make you happy, not a discount or whatever.

They look like an overall poor factory finish with over-used/word polishing discs, not much care at all.

Where are they made?

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Manufactured in China. Not a condemnation of Chinese manufacturing…KEFs are generally considered to have excellent build quality.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Manufactured in China. Not a condemnation of Chinese manufacturing…

The high levels of formaldehyde emission in most Chinese board is the issue. I wouldn't put Chinese board speakers in my house.

Most board used in flatpack/speakers/furniture is E1 or E2.

1687136473160.png

At least the US EPA is getting tough on domestic and imports.

OP
S

seanhyatt

Without a doubt, those were not new. They were repackaged returns…especially given the marring that you can see around the plinth attachments.
Given I’m going to be receiving my discounted R11’s tomorrow from the same KEF direct source…I’ll be going over them with a fine tooth comb.
Really didn’t need to see this post…won’t be sleeping well tonight!

Mine are going back Monday. I have requested a NEW replacement.

Take pictures of the box etc. I hope you get a new pair. Please update us on your experience either way.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

If you haven't had to send back a pair of speakers for finish anomalies then you can't call yourself an audiophile. :)

We've all done it. The feeling of disappointment when you're carefully unpacking something only to find it's damaged or not up to standard is something you never forget. That's why Apple prioritize their 'unboxing' experience.

HorizonsEdge

I expect customer service to always be appalling. Recently, I had an experience worth relating. Now it is not anywhere on the same value level but . . .

First time home owner, spent my whole life in an apartment. Still learning all the things I need to do to maintain it. Once such thing was an HVAC inspection/maintenance. They told me to replace filters on the recommended schedule. So I bought filters online. 2 different sizes bc I have 2 systems; one in the original house and one in the extension. I got the filters in 48 hours w/free shipping. Went to install and I ordered the wrong size. Customer service told me order the right size, they refunded the cost of the wrong size and told me to donate the filters I can not use to goodwill. Had the new ones in 24 hours. If anyone wants the vendor name, msg me.

When you expect the worst and get the best you feel elated. Sadly something I rarely feel these days.

OP
S

seanhyatt

I figured out this weekend over the last 6 years I have purchased 7 pairs of KEF speakers and have never had an issue until now. I still own five pairs of KEFs.

Last edited:

Dmitri

Forum Donor
The high levels of formaldehyde emission in most Chinese board is the issue. I wouldn't put Chinese board speakers in my house.

Most board used in flatpack/speakers/furniture is E1 or E2.

View attachment 293375

At least the US EPA is getting tough on domestic and imports.

I hear ya. As a retired carpenter (and still avid woodworker) I used to build cabinetry. One time I purchased a few sheets of Chinese sourced birch ply that I left it in the shop overnight. The outgassing was so bad my eyes watered and I literally had difficulty breathing. I returned it …all windows in the van wide open …to the local Big Box store and never purchased plywood from them ever again. It was meant for built in drawers for a child’s bedroom.

One hopes that the US Formaldehyde standards will apply to the KEFs. How one regulates such a standard through the maze of individually manufactured products is likely an impossible task. Truth be known, so much of what we own has Chinese sourced wood composites and plywoods, it’s kind of a crap shoot.

Apologies for digressing from the thread…gotta do something while I wait for the delivery guys!

Dmitri

Forum Donor

Take pictures of the box etc. I hope you get a new pair. Please update us on your experience either way.
Absolutely. Not sure I’d return them for another pair though. Burned once is enough for me. Besides, they might just send me the ones you just returned…

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It was meant for built in drawers for a child’s bedroom.

Scary.

I guess I was spoilt, but the furniture manufacturer I worked for and managed a state for, was not just compliant, but sourced all their pulp/wood for board from NZ grown radiata plantation pine and the finished board was certified at better than E0. I have some of the products still in my house. The difference between opening up a a flatpack from China and NZ/Aus/US was amazing. Most US board is excellent in that regard AFAIK.

OP
S

seanhyatt

Absolutely. Not sure I’d return them for another pair though. Burned once is enough for me. Besides, they might just send me the ones you just returned…
Perhaps you are right.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Perhaps you are right.
Let’s see what mine look like first. If they are OK, yours might just be a mistake, no matter how unlikely that may seem…and your replacements could be just fine.
Took Restorer-John’s advice and got some new kit for listening…

Attachments

• IMG_1101.jpeg
    IMG_1101.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 38
OP
S

seanhyatt

Just took a picture of the boxes for return and noticed this statement about formaldehyde.

Attachments

• IMG_2878.jpeg
    IMG_2878.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 135
OP
S

seanhyatt

Just picked up by UPS. Next wait for KEF to exchange and send me what I paid for.

Top Bottom