• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R8 Meta Dolby Atmos Speaker Review

Rate this Dolby Atmos Speaker

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 10.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 41.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 85 45.9%

• Total voters

napfkuchen

Has anyone compared the performance of Q50a and R8 Meta when used as up-firing Atmos modules? I haven't found any direct comparisons in this thread yet.
Using a speaker in up-firing placement will give bad results, does not matter which model.

AudioScience Enthusiast

Some processors (Stormaudio/Trinnov, maybe others) can allow you to send bass below a frequency to the nearest speaker of your choosing. For example if you had a top middle speaker that you wante to crossover at 150hz, you could send below 150hz to a surround speaker and then below 80hz (or whatever your crossover setting is on your surround) would get sent to subs.

This is an awesome function! Now I know why processors like Stormaudio is so expensive, thanks!

But on a modest budget using LX805 (with Dirac Live Bass Control), any good ways to get R8 Meta integrated?

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But realistically speaking: Shouldn't someone who can afford a 15.000-30.000€ AVP also be capable of getting better speakers in the first place?

It's not like there aren't any alternatives of similar size that extent down to at least 80Hz

AudioScience Enthusiast

But realistically speaking: Shouldn't someone who can afford a 15.000-30.000€ AVP also be capable of getting better speakers in the first place?
That's a very good point.

It's not like there aren't any alternatives of similar size that extent down to at least 80Hz
Since I really like the R7 Meta (fits my room too), but R8 Meta doesn't seem like a good match (due to high crossover) for my AVR, maybe it's not too much of an issue to match up with other brands' Atmos speakers that extend to or below 80Hz? After all, my Dirac Live AVR should be able to address the timber mismatch among different brands right?

napfkuchen

Interesting that despite the "bad results", many manufacturers are advertising the "up-firing" as a "feature," why is this happening and no additinal backlash?
Manufacturers also advertise soundbars with 9 channels which are supposed to work with even more reflection trickery ... Money.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's a very good point.

Since I really like the R7 Meta (fits my room too), but R8 Meta doesn't seem like a good match (due to high crossover) for my AVR, maybe it's not too much of an issue to match up with other brands' Atmos speakers that extend to or below 80Hz? After all, my Dirac Live AVR should be able to address the timber mismatch among different brands right?
I don't think there would be a huge difference if the Atmos speakers are from a different brand as long as they measure well.
If ceiling mounting is an option, the Kef LS50 Meta apparently can be hung from the ceiling because they have screwholes and there are a few aftermarket mounts for those.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting that despite the "bad results", many manufacturers are advertising the "up-firing" as a "feature," why is this happening and no additinal backlash?

Upfiring works better than "virtual heights" or no heights especially if they're properly done with Atmos HRTF filters. Some "presence" speakers are angled but do not implement the filters as recommended by Dolby.

Random upfiring is less predictable than ceiling mounted Atmos speakers. Also, individuals can have different HRTF's so it doesn't work for everyone -- but the patent shows that the the chosen target should work reasonably for most people.

Aesthetics. Old homes with plaster walls. Remember, while a good portion of the middle class of the United States has air conditioning in their home, Queen Elizabeth II uses a Dyson fan at Buckingham Palace.

Meridius

Are these r8 metas still good to get atmos as I have the r series Kef speakers. Do they add a lot more and do they sound good. ?

Thanks

Top Bottom