• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R6 meta Measurements and Review

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
R6 Meta with room gain and EQ is more than capable of going below 80Hz, so why not set XO lower than 80Hz whenever possible?

I find the lower frequencies integrate better when they are not diverted to the subs as much until absolutely necessary.
There is no generic answer. As posted above, ideally you run REW measurements to decide. The capability is secondary in that decision.

Gorth33

These AVR can’t drive 4 Ohm speakers very well!
I agree.
I also have some little clarity issues on some voices with my Denon 4500h. A little bit better with 4 ohms setting on the AVR but I need more.
I bought a monoblock for the center.Let you know how it is.

Gorth33

So everything is now ok with the help of a monoblock amplifier for this center speaker.
Great !

Reactions: exm

Putter

Forum Donor
I agree.
I also have some little clarity issues on some voices with my Denon 4500h. A little bit better with 4 ohms setting on the AVR but I need more.
I bought a monoblock for the center.Let you know how it is.
The 4 ohm setting on the Denon is actually CURRENT LIMITING to protect the amp from overheating.

https://www.audioholics.com/frequen...hm-speakers-to-an-8-ohm-receiver-or-amplifier
NOTE: Some Receivers have an impedance selector switch. In most cases we recommend the 8-ohm or more setting. The manufacturer puts them there for UL/CSA approvals as well as easing consumer concerns about driving low impedance loads. These switches step down voltage feed to the power sections which will limit dynamics and overall fidelity. Keep the switch set for 8 ohms regardless of the impedance of your speakers and ensure proper ventilation of the Receiver.

For a detailed explanation on how to set the impedance switch on your receiver, read:
Setting the AV Receiver Impedance Switch

Gorth33

The 4 ohm setting on the Denon is actually CURRENT LIMITING to protect the amp from overheating.

https://www.audioholics.com/frequen...hm-speakers-to-an-8-ohm-receiver-or-amplifier
NOTE: Some Receivers have an impedance selector switch. In most cases we recommend the 8-ohm or more setting. The manufacturer puts them there for UL/CSA approvals as well as easing consumer concerns about driving low impedance loads. These switches step down voltage feed to the power sections which will limit dynamics and overall fidelity. Keep the switch set for 8 ohms regardless of the impedance of your speakers and ensure proper ventilation of the Receiver.

For a detailed explanation on how to set the impedance switch on your receiver, read:
Setting the AV Receiver Impedance Switch
Thanks for explanation.
I didn’t know that.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Could you use three R6 or R2 placed horizontally under a 100” TV rather than two on the side? I wonder how it would sound.
If you have experience please chime in!

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can someone please recommend a good and stable, max. 40-45cm high center speaker stand that is compatible with the KEF R6 and has a shelf that can take a heavy receiver like a Denon A1H? Currently I have a media cabinet with the R6 on the top and while it's a good height, I'm concerned about the acoustic impact of it on the sound of the L/R KEF towers, so I'm thinking about clearing the space completely between the L/R speakers except the a center stand and maybe a subwoofer between one of the towers and the center.

Edit: I'm thinking in the direction of something similar to the Wharfedale Elysian center stand.

jmbgator

Been thinking about getting these for front L/R in vertical position (with subs). As someone who is new here and doesn't really understand the graphs, how well do these measure as L/R in vertical position, as compared to lets say the R3s?

napfkuchen

Been thinking about getting these for front L/R in vertical position (with subs). As someone who is new here and doesn't really understand the graphs, how well do these measure as L/R in vertical position, as compared to lets say the R3s?
The coaxial chassis performs similar in both orientations. Erin has a video comparing the (smaller and older) R2c with the R3s. The R6 Metas have a better bass extension than the R2cs, but with subwoofers and eq the R3 would still be my favourite especially in terms of price/performance.

I'm currently considering replacing the center speaker and the two rear speakers. For the rear speakers my choice is 99% LS 50 Meta because there is a solid wall bracket available for them. I'm still thinking about the center. Listening distance is approx. 1.8m (6 ft), volume maximum 85-90 dBA, two subwoofers and the main speakers are available for the bass (eq with DLBC). I'm actually leaning towards a third LS 50 Meta and really unsure whether the almost 3 1/2 times price for the R6 Meta would be worth it for me.

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
The coaxial chassis performs similar in both orientations. Erin has a video comparing the (smaller and older) R2c with the R3s. The R6 Metas have a better bass extension than the R2cs, but with subwoofers and eq the R3 would still be my favourite especially in terms of price/performance.

I'm currently considering replacing the center speaker and the two rear speakers. For the rear speakers my choice is 99% LS 50 Meta because there is a solid wall bracket available for them. I'm still thinking about the center. Listening distance is approx. 1.8m (6 ft), volume maximum 85-90 dBA, two subwoofers and the main speakers are available for the bass (eq with DLBC). I'm actually leaning towards a third LS 50 Meta and really unsure whether the almost 3 1/2 times price for the R6 Meta would be worth it for me.
What kind of wall brackets?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If you watch movies, go with R3 over LS50. Easy choice. LS50 will not be powerful enough for center channel duty in movies.

quattro98

Forum Donor

R3 main
R2 center
LS50 surround

napfkuchen

Option 2
R3 L&R
R6 Center
LS50 surround
Thanks. L&R will remain, but then I'll order an R6 and a pair of LS 50. In case the LS 50 is sufficient for my needs as a center the R6 can be returned (not a fan of this but ...).

quattro98

Forum Donor
Thanks. L&R will remain, but then I'll order an R6 and a pair of LS 50. In case the LS 50 is sufficient for my needs as a center the R6 can be returned (not a fan of this but ...).
The reason I suggested the R2 for center and LS50 for surrounds is that it gives you a 3-way center at lower cost than the R6. This will be better than the LS50 as center and less expensive than the R6. What are you using for L & R, I assumed R3. If not, then that should inform the choice of other speakers.

napfkuchen

L&R are Mesanovic CDM65
What are your L&R speakers? I didn't see where you mentioned them.
Mesanovic CDM65. They are fine without any eq, that's why I thought about upgrading the other speakers.
The reason I suggested the R2 for center and LS50 for surrounds is that it gives you a 3-way center at lower cost than the R6. This will be better than the LS50 as center and less expensive than the R6. What are you using for L & R, I assumed R3. If not, then that should inform the choice of other speakers.
You are right, I was also thinking about getting a used R2c or the R2. But from the R2 to the R6 is not such a large price gap and maybe for Black Friday the horizontal price chart will have a decline. Kef center speakers seem to be really rare because they are priced quite high compared to the other R-series speakers.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just don't like the idea of an LS50 as a center channel. It isn't going to keep up with your other speakers. Remember that the center has just as much or more demanding content pumped through it than your FL/FR.

Top Bottom