• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R6 meta Measurements and Review

exm

After struggling with R6 Meta for a bit, as suggested by some forum members, I added a Low Shelf and found the ideal XO of 50Hz using Dirac Live, now it is finally living up to its promise as the most amazing center channel ever made for mortals (aside from the Reference).

Vocals are being delivered in such clarity (female) and weight (male) across multiple seating locations, it's simply incredible. After struggling with my home theatre sound for 20 years, now it's Done done.

So glad I did not cheap out on R2 or other center channels.

50Hz is a low crossover. I'm using 80Hz for my Reference 2 Meta.

AudioScience Enthusiast

Great!
But why didn’t you let the sub plays these frequencies to get the weight you need?
Good question. I did try 100Hz XO, but somehow the low frequencies for human voice coming out of the subs are not as natural as the lows coming out of R6 meta, so I decided what the heck just let the Center Channel deal with the low frequencies which the center channel is primarily there to do, then it became amazing.

AudioScience Enthusiast

50Hz is a low crossover. I'm using 80Hz for my Reference 2 Meta.
Since I used Dirac Live Bass Control, even when setting it to 50Hz XO for Center channel it really has a roll off stating at 70-80Hz, so with the Low-Shelf it produces a very satisfying sound that is still integrated with the front channels.

Gorth33

Since I used Dirac Live Bass Control, even when setting it to 50Hz XO for Center channel it really has a roll off stating at 70-80Hz, so with the Low-Shelf it produces a very satisfying sound that is still integrated with the front channels.
Did you measure distorsion ?

AudioScience Enthusiast

Did you measure distorsion ?
No, I didn't bother because I don't play at reference volumes.

Even when watching a couple of explosive Christopher Nolan movies, I haven't noticed anything weird yet.

If I want to measure it later, what is a good way to do so?

Last edited:

Gorth33

No, I didn't bother because I don't play at reference volumes.

Even when watching a couple of explosive Christopher Nolan movies, I haven't noticed anything weird yet.

If I want to measure it later, what is a good way to do so?
Maybe you can try with REW and a sweep tone.
You can see distorsion and frequencies.
It’s maybe not the best way but it can give you an idea.
I've try this some years ago with my subs to adjust my target curve in Dirac.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
After struggling with R6 Meta for a bit, as suggested by some forum members, I added a Low Shelf and found the ideal XO of 50Hz using Dirac Live, now it is finally living up to its promise as the most amazing center channel ever made for mortals (aside from the Reference).

Vocals are being delivered in such clarity (female) and weight (male) across multiple seating locations, it's simply incredible. After struggling with my home theatre sound for 20 years, now it's Done done.

So glad I did not cheap out on R2 or other center channels.
Probably there are even better centers out there. But at the price KEF has set for the R, it may be hard to get better.

Gorth33

I'd buy it too. Expected delivery on Friday.
I will tell you if after a bad experience with the old NM R2C if the R6 Meta is ok for my ears.

Gorth33

I just received my R6 Meta yesterday.
Simple EQ with Audyssey XT32.Detected crossover at 60Hz.
First listenings are really convincing.
This speaker is clear,balanced and detailed .No muffled sensation.
For now it is very good for me.

AudioScience Enthusiast

I just received my R6 Meta yesterday.
Simple EQ with Audyssey XT32.Detected crossover at 60Hz.
First listenings are really convincing.
This speaker is clear,balanced and detailed .No muffled sensation.
For now it is very good for me.
If Audyssey detects the native crossover should be 60Hz, then I don’t think my Dirac Live 50Hz XO after a bit of Low Sheld EQ is unacceptable!

exm

If Audyssey detects the native crossover should be 60Hz, then I don’t think my Dirac Live 50Hz XO after a bit of Low Sheld EQ is unacceptable!

Audyssey is notoriously unreliable with crossover settings. I still believe 80Hz is the perfect setting for this speaker.

@Gorth33, happy it's working out for you!

Gorth33

Room gain makes crossover à bit lower than the speaker can do.
My fronts crossover is detected at 40hz.I have set it to 60hz.
For now I let 60hz to have the same setting for the LCR but i will test 80hz for center.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Room gain makes Audyssey a bit wrong i think.

Thank you @exm
No.

Audyssey detects the roll off of a speaker in a room. So far so good.

But there is more to setting the xover correctly such as eg group delay, nulls, etc. Best get a UMIK and REW and cross-check with different xover settings. Use the one where there are the least pronounced nulls.

In my case, Audyssesy says it can go to 40hz, but I set it to 80Hz after doing the above REW check.

And yes Audyssey usually goes too low in its automatic setting. Usually starting with 80Hz is ok unless one has REW.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Crossover should be set by room acoustics and help solve acoustic problems. It shou be set by speaker capability unless the speaker is not capable like a small speak which may require a higher crossover.

Audessey totally messes this up. Being calibrator and measuring a lot of rooms most will fall in the 80 to 100hz range. Start with 80hz. Without measuring equipment try 80, 90 and 100 and see which seems best to you. Also, try the sub in different locations if it doesn't seem right

Gorth33

No.

Audyssey detects the roll off of a speaker in a room. So far so good.

But there is more to setting the xover correctly such as eg group delay, nulls, etc. Best get a UMIK and REW and cross-check with different xover settings. Use the one where there are the least pronounced nulls.

In my case, Audyssesy says it can go to 40hz, but I set it to 80Hz after doing the above REW check.

And yes Audyssey usually goes too low in its automatic setting. Usually starting with 80Hz is ok unless one has REW.
When you say Audyssey detects roll off off a speaker in a room. It means that the frequency response measured by Audyssey is the measure of the speaker in the room.
So if the room give you a +x db at a frequency, Audyssey could determinate a crossover at a lower frequency than expected no?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
When you say Audyssey detects roll off off a speaker in a room. It means that the frequency response measured by Audyssey is the measure of the speaker in the room.
So if the room give you a +x db at a frequency, Audyssey could determinate a crossover at a lower frequency than expected no?
No.

It uses the roll off to determine the lowest speaker capability but as said above the xover should be set differently

AudioScience Enthusiast

R6 Meta with room gain and EQ is more than capable of going below 80Hz, so why not set XO lower than 80Hz whenever possible?

I find the lower frequencies integrate better when they are not diverted to the subs as much until absolutely necessary.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
R6 Meta with room gain and EQ is more than capable of going below 80Hz, so why not set XO lower than 80Hz whenever possible?

I find the lower frequencies integrate better when they are not diverted to the subs as much until absolutely necessary.
The best location for bass is not the best location for mids and highs. Having the subwoofer separate allows you to achieve better bass response and deal with room modes. Plus when the sub handles the bass you will reduce distortion in the speaker when it is not trying to play near it's lower limit and will often allow the speaker to play louder and cleaner.

So, a lot of advantages to using a sub even with full range towers. The difficult part is getting good integration between the sub and speakers so it is seamless and you don't realize there is a sub and speaker.

Top Bottom