• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest NRG-X3 Review (AC Power Cord)

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money

Votes: 324 89.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
appreciate everyones advice! it's tough to know where to spend and where to not spend....i am in the middle of auditioning 6 amps with my Utopia 2022's. there are DEF differences but nowhere near how big i thought there would be. And definitely not 7-9k worth of value. still fun to test everything out though!
Go for ergonomics and appearance. I have Geshelli Archel 2.5 which is super transparent and the Sony TA-ZH1ES which doesn’t measure well, but the actual to-your-ears difference is small and I really like the ergonomics of the Sony.

If you live in the U.S., consider drop shipping the next headphone amp you try to him to measure. I am really curious about the Yamaha. It will sound different because they have exotic DSP modes like:
1708731233720.png

AudioTK

I must say, I didn't see this coming. :) It is these sobering moments that teach one what the reality is.
I do wonder if amirm has measurements with these cables, or any cables (power or interconnects or speaker wire) using wood blocks to raise the cables off the floor compared to no blocks. Is cedar better or Lincoln Logs?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do wonder if amirm has measurements with these cables, or any cables (power or interconnects or speaker wire) using wood blocks to raise the cables off the floor compared to no blocks. Is cedar better or Lincoln Logs?
If you want to make a parody post - then emoticons will help with Poe's law.

Otherwise there is a danger someone will think you are serious, or in this case trolling.

AudioTK

If you want to make a parody post - then emoticons will help with Poe's law.

Otherwise there is a danger someone will think you are serious, or in this case trolling.
Makes sense. I am half serious if anyone does have measurements to compare riser blocks and no riser blocks, debunking it.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Makes sense. I am half serious if anyone does have measurements to compare riser blocks and no riser blocks, debunking it.
Why would anyone bother? To try to convince idiots who wouldn't care about the measurements?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Not quite riser blocks, but my measurements show the effect of putting components near each other.

It’s good to show that we can measure differences but that those differences are inaudible.

DonR

Major Contributor
One of the ideas put forth to explain riser blocks is that the floor acts like a ground plane and thus rising the cable lifts the signal away from this ground. Of course, a listening room floor is likely to have very low conductance to ground and at the same time, the signal is usually accompanied by a ground wire in much closer proximity to it anyway. Audio frequencies are too low to be affected by the effect of the ensuing capacitance.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
One of the ideas put forth to explain riser blocks is that the floor acts like a ground plane and thus rising the cable lifts the signal away from this ground. Of course, a listening room floor is likely to have very low conductance to ground and at the same time, the signal is usually accompanied by a ground wire in much closer proximity to it anyway. Audio frequencies are too low to be affected by the effect of the ensuing capacitance.
...relative impedances...

AudioTK

Not quite riser blocks, but my measurements show the effect of putting components near each other.

It’s good to show that we can measure differences but that those differences are inaudible.
I can understand that certain components can affect others. I recently restored my Marantz 2265 (old school!!), but while I was doing it, there were times some noise would come and go. Turns out, it had been picking up my cell phone (just in my pocket, not being used for call, screen off), and it caused interference when it was near certain areas of the receiver. It was worse when I had the metal cover off, and it's just old equipment, not designed to completely filter out all RF signals. The metal covers do help act as Faraday cages, but noise can get through, sometimes.

DonR

Major Contributor
I can understand that certain components can affect others. I recently restored my Marantz 2265 (old school!!), but while I was doing it, there were times some noise would come and go. Turns out, it had been picking up my cell phone (just in my pocket, not being used for call, screen off), and it caused interference when it was near certain areas of the receiver. It was worse when I had the metal cover off, and it's just old equipment, not designed to completely filter out all RF signals. The metal covers do help act as Faraday cages, but noise can get through, sometimes.
We live in a much richer RF environment these days.

Top Bottom